Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I think that it is one of the best movies of the year. Forget for an instant the subject of the movie and assume that you knew nothing about the man, as a character study it was great. Regardless of what the family and those around him thought, the piece was impressionistic and there are enough stories of Steve Jobs to make the movie a plausible interpretation, and above all, a movie about emotional growth.

Now that being said, it was also not a movie, given the hype, that would have gotten a wide audience, and should have been given time to build an audience, because from this moviegoer, I thought that it was an excellent piece of movie making.
Absolutely this. I thought it was a tremendous film. I wouldn't expect techno-geeks to get it. It was a film constructed like a 3-act play, had an amazing screenplay, and all the principals were magnificent. Fassbender should get an Oscar, and Winslett and Daniels were equally as good. It gripes me to listen to the nonsense of a friggin' tech site rendering aesthetic judgements. What a joke.
And the next time I hear some tech head whine about Michael Fassbender looking nothing like Steve Jobs I'm going to throw-up.
Question: Do you think that Shakespeare's Julius Caesar bore any resemblance to the historical Julius Caesar?
Extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
That response doesn't make sense with what he said...
Of course it does: it doesn't interest me, if it is based on reality or not or what his wife thinks etc.

I'll go to a theater to watch a movie if the theme interest me ... or I simply don't. And if I do go watch a movie like this, I will and want to make myself an picture of it ... not based on critics etc. Sure, I do read critics etc., but seeing for myself is always the best thing to do.

In slavic languages, we have an interesting saying:
"Every eye has his own painter".

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Ya, it was all about the way they rolled out the film, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that it wasn't even close to factually accurate, that his wife asked everyone to boycott it, or that people who knew him said that this was nothing like the man he knew.
Maybe YOU care about that, but I have a hard time believing that the millions of potential viewers who didn't show up were turned away by any of these things, which one would only know if you were already pretty interested in Jobs's or Apple's story.

If a movie gets good reviews and then performs badly it's pretty much always going to be a problem with the marketing strategy.

Also I'm willing to bet Danny Boyle knows more about marketing and selling films than you do.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Maybe YOU care about that, but I have a hard time believing that the millions of potential viewers who didn't show up were turned away by any of these things, which one would only know if you were already pretty interested in Jobs's or Apple's story.

If a movie gets good reviews and then performs badly it's pretty much always going to be a problem with the marketing strategy.

Also I'm willing to bet Danny Boyle knows more about marketing and selling films than you do.

Hmmm:
  • Steve Jobs movie with Ashton Kutcher: received poor reviews and tanked.
  • Steve Jobs movie with Michael Fassbender: received good reviews and tanked.
Marketing isn't the problem here.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Absolutely this. I thought it was a tremendous film. I wouldn't expect techno-geeks to get it.

When did being a techno-geek mean you can't have an appreciation and love of film.

Don't you think it's a big leap assuming people who post with a different view to yours of the film must be techno-geeks. I'm assuming many here are not.

It was a film constructed like a 3-act play, had an amazing screenplay, and all the principals were magnificent.

And yet it tanked. Maybe making a movie like a play isn't a smart move.

It gripes me to listen to the nonsense of a friggin' tech site rendering aesthetic judgements. What a joke.

Well let me see... you've made aesthetic judgements and it seems your view of a magnificent film is a wee bit out of kilter with reality. The irony is by your definition you are a techno-geek on a friggen tech site making judgements. Your problem is that everyone else's judgement that doesn't match yours gripes you to listen to... (perhaps you mean read).

A joke. No. A difference of opinion. Yes.

And the next time I hear some tech head whine about Michael Fassbender looking nothing like Steve Jobs I'm going to throw-up.
Question: Do you think that Shakespeare's Julius Caesar bore any resemblance to the historical Julius Caesar?
Extremely unlikely.

I like that you sought an extreme example for comparison purposes. People don't have clear recollections of what Caesar looked like. The more a character lives in recent memory the more a film has the actor look like the character.
I'm a huge Fassbender fan. I personally think the studio could have done more with the hair and general look to get Fassbender looking more Steve like. And should have. It shows a level of disrespect for the audience. Steve with short hair just didn't cut it for me.

It might surprise you to realise that like yourself many people have an interest in film. Certainly they have an opinion which is equally as valid as yours. I believe a lot of your opinion shows a high favouritism to the film and this has got in the way of any form of sound judgement and comment.

I'm passionate about films. I love watching them. I love the structure, the story, the lighting, the cinematography. Hollywood has produced some great films although recent years has been a bit thin. Hollywood remakes traditionally suck the life out of a film often for the purpose of presenting it without subtitles for US consumption. Some of the best films come from other countries the likes of France Europe, the UK, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. I am a huge fan of art house movies. I have friends in the movie business. I've made a film and seen it on the big screen. Okay a shortfilm at the 48 hour film contest. An immensely crazy yet satisfying place to make a film.

http://www.48hours.co.nz/2015/

I hear you. You loved Danny Boyle's film and you think it is magnificent. You don't like people who are critical of the film and I assume Mr Boyle. I suggest if you don't want people to have a different opinion that perhaps you avoid forums. This is kind of how they work. People with differing views post them up.

Personally I think DB produced a lemon. I don't think it is appropriate to significantly misrepresent what happened. If you want to create a work of fiction then tell people this is fiction. I'm sure DB is happy for your support. Maybe the pool of people who want to see plays filmed and sold as a movie is a bit thin on the ground.

I remember watching the remake of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" more as a film buff who felt a sense of duty to watch the remake. Rooney Mara as Lisbeth was a huge miscast compared to Noomi Rapace. The original was just head and shoulders better. Again Hollywood did a remake and just sucked the life out of the movie throwing in character actors that a blind person could tell you were a bad choice. At the end I found myself wishing I could unwatch it or burn it from my memory. I may just have to rewatch the original. It occurs to me if Hollywood thinks a remake is important so people can see it in English that maybe they should just do sound dubs instead. It would be cheaper and you'd have the original masterpiece.

I mentioned this because some movies are not worth watching. Boyles Magnificent Masterpiece that I can no longer remember the name of with Fassbender in it is perhaps one of them. Now "Shame", OMG what a movie. I saw that in a packed theater and the energy in the theatre was a surreal experience.

Warning - this post may contain views that are different from those held by Boyle and fans of "that Jobs film" he made.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
When did being a techno-geek mean you can't have an appreciation and love of film.

Don't you think it's a big leap assuming people who post with a different view to yours of the film must be techno-geeks. I'm assuming many here are not.

And yet it tanked. Maybe making a movie like a play isn't a smart move.

Well let me see... you've made aesthetic judgements and it seems your view of a magnificent film is a wee bit out of kilter with reality. The irony is by your definition you are a techno-geek on a friggen tech site making judgements. Your problem is that everyone else's judgement that doesn't match yours gripes you to listen to... (perhaps you mean read).

A joke. No. A difference of opinion. Yes.

I like that you sought an extreme example for comparison purposes. People don't have clear recollections of what Caesar looked like. The more a character lives in recent memory the more a film has the actor look like the character.
I'm a huge Fassbender fan. I personally think the studio could have done more with the hair and general look to get Fassbender looking more Steve like. And should have. It shows a level of disrespect for the audience. Steve with short hair just didn't cut it for me.

It might surprise you to realise that like yourself many people have an interest in film. Certainly they have an opinion which is equally as valid as yours. I believe a lot of your opinion shows a high favouritism to the film and this has got in the way of any form of sound judgement and comment.

I'm passionate about films. I love watching them. I love the structure, the story, the lighting, the cinematography. Hollywood has produced some great films although recent years has been a bit thin. Hollywood remakes traditionally suck the life out of a film often for the purpose of presenting it without subtitles for US consumption. Some of the best films come from other countries the likes of France Europe, the UK, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. I am a huge fan of art house movies. I have friends in the movie business. I've made a film and seen it on the big screen. Okay a shortfilm at the 48 hour film contest. An immensely crazy yet satisfying place to make a film.

http://www.48hours.co.nz/2015/

I hear you. You loved Danny Boyle's film and you think it is magnificent. You don't like people who are critical of the film and I assume Mr Boyle. I suggest if you don't want people to have a different opinion that perhaps you avoid forums. This is kind of how they work. People with differing views post them up.

Personally I think DB produced a lemon. I don't think it is appropriate to significantly misrepresent what happened. If you want to create a work of fiction then tell people this is fiction. I'm sure DB is happy for your support. Maybe the pool of people who want to see plays filmed and sold as a movie is a bit thin on the ground.

I remember watching the remake of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" more as a film buff who felt a sense of duty to watch the remake. Rooney Mara as Lisbeth was a huge miscast compared to Noomi Rapace. The original was just head and shoulders better. Again Hollywood did a remake and just sucked the life out of the movie throwing in character actors that a blind person could tell you were a bad choice. At the end I found myself wishing I could unwatch it or burn it from my memory. I may just have to rewatch the original. It occurs to me if Hollywood thinks a remake is important so people can see it in English that maybe they should just do sound dubs instead. It would be cheaper and you'd have the original masterpiece.

I mentioned this because some movies are not worth watching. Boyles Magnificent Masterpiece that I can no longer remember the name of with Fassbender in it is perhaps one of them. Now "Shame", OMG what a movie. I saw that in a packed theater and the energy in the theatre was a surreal experience.

Warning - this post may contain views that are different from those held by Boyle and fans of "that Jobs film" he made.

Your points are well-taken.
I am not a Hollywood partisan, BTW, in general.
And just for the record, I'm not a Danny Boyle fan.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Ya, it was all about the way they rolled out the film, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that it wasn't even close to factually accurate, that his wife asked everyone to boycott it, or that people who knew him said that this was nothing like the man he knew.
Or it's much simpler: the wide audience just isn't very interested in movie biographies. The majority of biographical movies in the last decade or so either struggled to break even or totally bombed. And that includes even movies like Ray, Coco Chanel, Frida and Walk The Line, which all got several awards.

Last edited:
Reactions: arefbe

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA

danny-boyle.jpg
"Heed. Pants. Now!!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.