Dark Area in Top Right Corner

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xenaki, Nov 8, 2018.

1. xenaki macrumors member

xenaki

Anyone else have an issue with a dark area in the top right corner of the new iPad? I started with a 12.9”. It had a dark corner but barely noticeable.

Switched to an 11” for the size but first one had a really dark corner. Just exchanged it and yet again a really dark corner. It’s right along the volume buttons.

Anyone else or am I just unlucky?

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

I have 2 11’s and 2 12.9’s. Both my 11’s have it noticeably in top right corner like you stated. One of my 12.9’s has it but very very slight (have to really look for it to barely notice). The other 12.9 doesn’t have it at all.

3. podam macrumors member

Well cheap screen... see what happens to ipp 2017 white spot, I am afraid that apple is going very cheep on their devices

4. Infiniteconstancy macrumors regular

Infiniteconstancy

Pictures would be helpful :) Could you take a pic and post?

5. mrcel macrumors newbie

My 11“ does not have it, but a slightly lighter corner in the top left.

6. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

I'm not seeing a dark area but one of the two 12.9 we received has a pronounced violet tint.

7. Never mind macrumors 6502

Never mind

upper right-hand corner in portrait mode or Landscape? Don’t see one on mine anywhere

8. derdante macrumors newbie

My 11 inch had a dark top right corner in portrait as well. I'm getting it replaced.

9. Infiniteconstancy macrumors regular

Infiniteconstancy

10. xenaki thread starter macrumors member

xenaki

It’s kind of hard to see in pictures but the top right corner when holding vertically is generally darker than the rest of the screen. And there seems to be a dark line running down the screen along the bezel.
    0C3600A2-8551-4056-848B-2F95BD150B6B.jpeg

11. derdante macrumors newbie

It's hard to take pics of this because the camera will pic up a certain unevenness in brightness across the whole display and you won't be able to easily distinguish the dark corners from that. To the naked eye it's much more visible.

12. popeyesm macrumors member

I have a very mild version of this on my 12.9-inch unit, but it actually only seems visible in portrait orientation. When I change the orientation it often seems to disappear. I wonder if it has as much to do with angle of view as anything else. I also note that the same sort of thing happens on a lot of iPhones - upper right corner often a weak spot. I wonder if it has something to so with the camera behind that corner and how the LCD sheet sits and ever so slightly angles off. That might explain why the ever so slight darkening disappears in different orientations/angles of view.

Generally I find the screen on this gen of iPad Pros more uniform than others I have had,. i am a bit obsessive about screen uniformity and always have to get over the imperfections i notice on all screens I buy. I often get bugged by blue-to-brown shift from top to bottom of most iPads. This one just seems to me better than most I have had in the past. The 12.9 iPads I have seen in stores in the past all had dim corners and hot centers. The one I have looks better than I have seen in the past.

13. Infiniteconstancy macrumors regular

Infiniteconstancy

14. tommi80 macrumors member

Hi,

on my 11” iPad Pro I also notice a slightly darker corner when scrolling text with white background.
    On still images, the darker corner is to faint to get recognized.

It seems every iPad Pro has this issue :-(

15. anthony13 macrumors regular

I feel like the edges of the screen are a tad dimmer then the rest of the display in general.

16. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502a

MyAppleWorld

I can see the dark line but not the dark corner

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You should have never read this thread, it is driving you crazy again.

18. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

I’ve returned 3 of my 11” iPP because of this. It’s very obvious when you scroll through any page with a white background.

19. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

I think the dim corners are inevitable. And it’s hard to tell by the pictures, but your display looks fine.

I was able to document two different units that I’ve received with awful displays. Potential spotlighting, bleeding, and mild white spots are a big no no for me.

480EBA0F-F5FA-42A8-8680-37690614495F.jpeg 243666FE-C45F-49F3-AFD4-1F1F28C3A234.jpeg

20. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Wow, the bright spot on yours is really obvious...I’d exchange that for a new one

21. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

I have been through numerous exchanges in my 1st gen iPad Pro about 3 years ago. You will NEVER get a perfect paper-white-even screen with an LCD display. As long as you do not have glaring bright spots along the edges and corners due to backlight bleeding, or uneven color shifts, you will be fine.

22. synergize macrumors regular

Wow, that looks like it is haunted by Casper the friendly ghost, take it back!

23. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

Yes, have gone throuh 3 12.9 already. They all had the dark top right corner to some extent. The one that was more uniform had a bright spot in the middle of the screen though. I hate this.

24. WilliamG macrumors G3

Yep seen two 11” models. Both with slightly darker top right corners. Figured I’d search and see if it was worth exchanging mine. Guess not.

25. max1988 macrumors newbie

wtf? is it white? I can see pink corners here, white spots in the middle, and shades between them. fatal screen ....