Dark Mode Coming to Microsoft Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 31, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the release of macOS Mojave in September, Apple introduced a Dark Mode to its desktop operating system that some users prefer the look of, or just find more forgiving on the eyes. Many third-party apps have followed suit with their own darkened interfaces, and now it looks like a similar interface option is also headed for Microsoft Office.

[​IMG]
    MS PowerPoint in Dark Mode

Microsoft Office product manager Akshay Bakshi has been teasing as much on social media, with two tweets posted on October 29 and 30 indicating that users of Office for Mac will soon have the ability run at least some apps included in the productivity suite in a new native Dark Mode.

According to the tweets, Dark Mode will be available in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, featuring new dynamic ribbon and icon styling. Users signed up to the Insiders Fast community getting access to the visual refresh first in build 181029.

Article Link: Dark Mode Coming to Microsoft Office for Mac

2. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Great. Now we all can appreciate a good looking interface while we wait for the apps to respond.

3. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Ugh no Outlook? The one I'm forced to stare at, jack around with, and spend eons searching through all damn day?

4. Scooz, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

Scooz macrumors regular

That’s like Darth Vader happy to finally openly wear his black outfit :eek:
    (are you hearing that tune, too?)

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

It’s like everything is switching from this bright-white-transparent look to gray/black.

6. jb-net macrumors member

7. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Everything except iOS...

8. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

They are still polishing Outlook but it will also get the new design/ribbon. Check @AgentAkki on Twitter.

9. jdclifford macrumors 6502

I'm running Insiders Fast build 181029 but I don't see any settings for dark mode. What am I missing?

10. Suxamethonium macrumors member

Suxamethonium

Quit and relaunch - Dark mode

11. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Good. Now if they just get their apps to stop freezing....

12. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

What about a dark mode for Mac Rumors?
    DPReview.com has one and it looks great

13. dingle19 macrumors member

THIS

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

DPReview has a dark mode? Hah, they were born in the dark. You mean that they didn't even have a light mode until two years ago, lol.

Anyway, I came here to say the same thing about websites in general. A dark mode is all good and fine until websites start supporting it. I do web design and development, and as far as I know, there isn't a media query for it yet. There has been talk about a standard coming, and then browsers have to implement it. This would enable developers to easily see if a user has their system set to dark mode and then provide their own override stylesheet. There are extensions that will do this, but they aren't perfect. It's best for a website designer to make certain that the site dark mode looks good and meshes with their brand identity. Using queries to modify style sheets shouldn't be a ton of additional work for a web designer because it's just a matter of swapping out color variables. The hard work (all the typography and responsive structure) is already done. Though some sites are rather expansive, so it depends how well organized you are and how long it will take to test all the different scenarios to make sure something doesn't clash or lose contrast as there are WCAG accessibility guidelines that we also have to follow (or at least should be following).

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

Just updated. Outlook does not support dark mode yet. And you must use "Colorful" Office theme to get dark mode.

16. viettanium macrumors regular

not working!

17. Unity451 macrumors newbie

Unity451

You'd think the would've started with that one first.

18. The Oak macrumors regular

19. erio macrumors member

WTF? They can do dark mode but can’t make clear documents? o_O

20. goslowjoe macrumors member

goslowjoe

In the desert, surrounded by goats and camels
    As much as I like dark mode on the Mojave interface, in MS Word it looks a bit weird to have black menus and side bars, but with an-all white content space. Ah well, I could not expect this area to be dark(er) although a slightly off-white would have helped with the strain one gets from being exposed to the white space radiated to you all the time. What do you guys think?

21. Emanuel Rodriguez macrumors member

Emanuel Rodriguez

Microsoft developers really are clueless when it comes to making a piece of software. Don't get me wrong, the design of the thing is fine, but it freezes too much. They block the main thread far too often. You see it on Windows all the time. Just one of many bad habits Windows developers learn from their poor role model.

Oh well.

22. goslowjoe macrumors member

goslowjoe

In the desert, surrounded by goats and camels
    Restart your Mac.

23. campyguy macrumors 68040

On the dark mode update, it's a rolling update. Not everyone will get the relevant update right away - Fast Ring updates are enabled on 3 of my company's Macs and also my personal Mac, only 1 of those 4 have Dark Mode options despite the same build number. Chatting with my MS rep she alluded to most of the Fast Ring subs getting a Dark Mode update pushed by or on this coming Sunday. Patience...
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2018 ---
    Chrome+epichrome SSB+Dark Reader Extension=Beautious MacRumors in Dark Mode. QED.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 4.19.31 PM.png

24. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

A dark mode is a lot more useful for photography than it is for a largely text-based site.

25. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

Great! That's a relief.
    For a moment I thought I'd still had to endure the harsh of the white.