Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue rocket

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
Well, kinda!

Thanks to Boardieboi's post showing off that pretty interesting "Ninja Dock" wallpapers, I got messing around and creating something a little different.

By doing nothing more than using the perspective view and pinching to zoom the wallpaper so that the bottom gradient extends higher than the dock and setting it as your wallpaper, the dock and folders turns essentially black and the gradient begins above the dock. The widget view is also darkened and appears to be a "night mode"

Looks pretty bad-ass if you ask me!

small.png

here's a link to full res:
https://s14.postimg.org/n1xjg6kbl/fullres.png

and save this image (yes its tiny), this will be the wallpaper.

Gray.png

Reactions: teddybearstand

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh wait. Got it!
What did you do to get it working?
[doublepost=1476402464][/doublepost]Well, while trying to play around with all of this and disabling reduce motion in the process (to get perspective view to show up) I somehow ended up getting into the state where I don't have any animations at all--no moving/zooming ones nor fading ones--where things just respond almost instantly. Similar to a "bug" that used to exist in iOS 9 that could create this. Not quite sure how I did it or how long it will last, but it's interesting to see that this "glitch" might still be around somehow.

blue rocket

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
Here's what the wall looks like pinched to zoom to get the dark dock effect, this is on a 7 plus, I'd assume it's the same for a smaller phone but I can't say for sure!
b8a3bbc4cb92950ac68b880a5a89bd42.png

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
It dont look very good imo. Notifications is still hard to read because the text is still black. I prefer to have a regular wallpaper than just a black background that reminds me the iPhone 3GS era.

Reactions: tconed

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
What did you do to get it working?
[doublepost=1476402464][/doublepost]Well, while trying to play around with all of this and disabling reduce motion in the process (to get perspective view to show up) I somehow ended up getting into the state where I don't have any animations at all--no moving/zooming ones nor fading ones--where things just respond almost instantly. Similar to a "bug" that used to exist in iOS 9 that could create this. Not quite sure how I did it or how long it will last, but it's interesting to see that this "glitch" might still be around somehow.
Did you do this by chance

https://9to5mac.com/2016/03/08/how-...oard-animations-faster-glitch/comment-page-1/

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, that's the iOS 9 glitch I was talking about. But, no, I didn't do anything aside from disabling reduce motion as I was playing around with changing the wallpaper. Somehow it got into that state and would stay in it whether I enabled or disabled reduce motion again. Only after a restart did it start working normally again, and unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce it again.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Yeah, that's the iOS 9 glitch I was talking about. But, no, I didn't do anything aside from disabling reduce motion as I was playing around with changing the wallpaper. Somehow it got into that state and would stay in it whether I enabled or disabled reduce motion again. Only after a restart did it start working normally again, and unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce it again.
This glitch seems to work in 10.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Interesting. It was fixed in one of the iOS 9.3 updates. Trying it out now I can't seem to invoke it though.
I thought it was working as there is no animation. I will restart phone and check before my next charging tomorrow and will post results if I remember.

teddybearstand

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Doesnt seem to be working on iOS10.1 b3
[doublepost=1476425685][/doublepost]Slightly cool folder effect however. No animation glitches or anything either

Attachments

• IMG_2565.PNG
    IMG_2565.PNG
    181.6 KB · Views: 346

blue rocket

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
Doesnt seem to be working on iOS10.1 b3
[doublepost=1476425685][/doublepost]Slightly cool folder effect however. No animation glitches or anything either

yeah depending on the zoom level it turns the folders round...

I hope it's not broken in 10.1, i've actually started to really like this setup!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I loved the wallpaper that would hide the dock but it made the widget screen too unreadable.

Dark Mode does not equal low brightness in my eyes.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
I loved the wallpaper that would hide the dock but it made the widget screen too unreadable.
i got around that by pulling down the notifications screen first, then swiping to widgets. (might be a bit clunky for others but i rarely view the widgets so the extra swipe isn't a big deal; the all black, dockless look of the main screen more than makes up for it.)

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Can't get the glitch to work on my 10.0.2 i6+ but whatever.
I use the dark background trick though and have been using it for a few weeks now, actually kinda like it.
2016-10-14 16.28.31.png

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well, kinda!

Thanks to Boardieboi's post showing off that pretty interesting "Ninja Dock" wallpapers, I got messing around and creating something a little different.

By doing nothing more than using the perspective view and pinching to zoom the wallpaper so that the bottom gradient extends higher than the dock and setting it as your wallpaper, the dock and folders turns essentially black and the gradient begins above the dock. The widget view is also darkened and appears to be a "night mode"

Looks pretty bad-ass if you ask me!

small.png

here's a link to full res:
https://s14.postimg.org/n1xjg6kbl/fullres.png

and save this image (yes its tiny), this will be the wallpaper.

Gray.png

Nice! I don't like the ones where the dock is the same color as the background, this is much better.

teddybearstand

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Reactions: Floris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.