Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManBearWaffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
My iMac has these dark spots on the screen and I wanted to confirm that it is a hardware issue before I make an appointment with an Apple genius. I thought it was dirt, but cleaning it didn't do anything. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

You can see most of it in the top right corner, and there's also a little in the top left.

2vj2x3p.jpg

ManBearWaffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
No, but my parents are. However, they are never in the same room as the iMac, while smoking.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
No, but my parents are. However, they are never in the same room as the iMac, while smoking.

I've seen some topics about this where people have ended up having the screen/machine replaced. I'll do some digging around to see if I can find some links.

But from what I remember it is indeed an issue with the iMac and should be fixed by Apple under warranty.

EDIT: Link

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/861355/

So it can be replaced, but hopefully you'll have better luck than that guy.

ManBearWaffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Thanks for the link! It sounds like this is going to be a hassle. Should I call Apple before I bring it in? What do you think my chances of a full replacement are? My nearest Apple store is the one on 5th Ave in NYC, which involves a subway ride or getting my dad to drive me (no parking). I definitely would like to avoid making this trip twice.

dqpassat

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
I had the same issue on my 27" imac. Took it to the apple store @ Irvine Spectrum (southern cali) and genius asked if I was a smoker. Told him no and he proceeded to write up the paperwork to replace LCD under warranty.

I picked up the "fixed" machine a few days later. Brought it home to find the dark spots gone, but a bunch of little specks all over the screen under the glass (lint?) AND my airport wireless card had disappeared!

I had the lug the beast back to the apple store and complain. The genius was very apologetic and said they would take care of it. I came back 2 days later, turned it on at the store and the same specks were there, albeit less of them. I was then told that they would fix my machine that same day. Called in the evening and no one had touched it! This was wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Calle again on Friday after Thanksgiving to be told to call back in one hour for update. Called back 2 hrs later and told that they would have to replace the LCD again! They had to order the part and it would take a few days.

It's been a very frustrating experience to say the least. They do all desktop repairs inhouse. When I pick up the imac next time and it's still not fixed properly, I will raise the issue with a manager and see what they say.

What a pain!

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Thanks for the link! It sounds like this is going to be a hassle. Should I call Apple before I bring it in? What do you think my chances of a full replacement are? My nearest Apple store is the one on 5th Ave in NYC, which involves a subway ride or getting my dad to drive me (no parking). I definitely would like to avoid making this trip twice.

Well as the post below you suggests, Apple's otherwise great support seems to be falling a bit short when it comes to this issue.

You would need to contact the store to make a Genius Bar appointment beforehand. I don't think you'll get a replacement unless they keep screwing up.

The important thing to do is make sure they let you try the mac at the store when it has been fixed. You don't want to go home and find out its got the same issue, or another.

Fuzzb

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
I think I have the same issue as the op, and I've just noticed it whilst on a white web page.

p1010979n.jpg

I guess I'll have to trundle along to the local Apple store to have it repaired.

Charlie03

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
I am having the same issue, I noticed it at the start of the month. I was changing wallpapers to something lighter in color and at the top of the screen I see the same spots as everyone here has shown. I hate to have to take this to the store and then have to wait for them to fix it but not doing anything I am sure could get worse.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 5.05.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 5.05.05 PM.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 247

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I'm pretty sure smoking is what's causing this, as it makes its way through the fan/speaker vents on the iMac. People tend to tune out smoking in their houses, even if nobody smokes in a particular room where the iMac may be. In any case, that's my bet. So yes, getting it sorted under warranty is good, but the problem will likely return.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Not only smoking but burning of candles will do the same thing while it turns the inside of your lungs BLACK!

Candles are the number one polluter of air in your home environment.

Last edited:

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
This thread seems to indicate that this issue will be covered by AppleCare, but to my thinking if it's caused by environmental causes in the user's environment (ie, candles, smoke, etc.) why would AppleCare cover it?

Fuzzb

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
This thread seems to indicate that this issue will be covered by AppleCare, but to my thinking if it's caused by environmental causes in the user's environment (ie, candles, smoke, etc.) why would AppleCare cover it?

If the problem was caused by environmental factors (i.e. smoke), then you would expect the same problem to affect other monitors too, right? I have 24" & 27" LED displays sat on the same desk and they don't have any problems. My TV is also perfectly fine, and all this equipment sits in the same room (open floor plan).

We have scented candles burning, but only usually for 3-4 hours per day, and I really can't imagine this would cause this problem.

dqpassat

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
No smoking or burning candles in my home and my imac still has this issue. Called apple store today and was told new LCD was in...machine should be fixed by tomorrow. We'll see if they can get it right this time.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
If the problem was caused by environmental factors (i.e. smoke), then you would expect the same problem to affect other monitors too, right? I have 24" & 27" LED displays sat on the same desk and they don't have any problems. My TV is also perfectly fine, and all this equipment sits in the same room (open floor plan).

We have scented candles burning, but only usually for 3-4 hours per day, and I really can't imagine this would cause this problem.

But, I think one difference as it relates to the iMac is that the LCD sits behind a piece of glass with air intake vents below it and air outflow vents behind it at the top, ergo the fans pull environmental factors in the air up and across the LCD to cool the iMac. So, it's a bit different than a LCD display or TV. Just sayin'...

Fuzzb

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
But, I think one difference as it relates to the iMac is that the LCD sits behind a piece of glass with air intake vents below it and air outflow vents behind it at the top, ergo the fans pull environmental factors in the air up and across the LCD to cool the iMac. So, it's a bit different than a LCD display or TV. Just sayin'...

Granted, it's a bit different, however these environmental factors are not particularly uncommon in households. In my eyes it's a design fault, and (assuming smoke is the cause) something that was overlooked when they originally arrived at the glass fronted design.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Granted, it's a bit different, however these environmental factors are not particularly uncommon in households. In my eyes it's a design fault, and (assuming smoke is the cause) something that was overlooked when they originally arrived at the glass fronted design.

Agreed. Also, IF it is caused by environmental factors (not the LCD itself being defective), I can imagine it will be a reoccurring problem for those experiencing it. Apple could use this against the user if they choose, I hope they don't.

YoFromPhilly

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Monitor 'blotch problem' here as well.

Guess I am not the only one with the same issue and was hopeing this would be a 'quick fix'. 27 inch QuadCore iMac purchased in mid Sept. First mac since 1999! (Became so tired of junk Microsoft products)

Dark blotch started at the top right..and it's spreading fast. - Today for some reason appears worse than usual :confused:

This is really deflating! I do not smoke...actually this is in a pretty darn clean room. Mac monitor flaw on the new models, the back vent sucking in small dust particles in the air messing up the LCD ?? it's the only thing I can think of. It seems to be an Apple problem!

Just seemed to start overnight as a small issue but getting worse.

- Reading the previosu post that it took "two days for the fix" is encouraging..minus the dust issues that came after it. (Sorry about that problem! I can only imagine that frustration..hopefully I wont have the same aggravation when I call them to get this fixed/replaced!)

photoimac-vi.jpg

iamsilvermember

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Do any of you guys play game with your iMac? I heard what is happening to you guys a consequence of overheated video card. This make sense to me too because it the black spots all started on the top right hand corner, which is where the video card fan located.

Squall Strife

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
Guess I am not the only one with the same issue and was hopeing this would be a 'quick fix'. 27 inch QuadCore iMac purchased in mid Sept. First mac since 1999! (Became so tired of junk Microsoft products)

Dark blotch started at the top right..and it's spreading fast. - Today for some reason appears worse than usual :confused:

This is really deflating! I do not smoke...actually this is in a pretty darn clean room. Mac monitor flaw on the new models, the back vent sucking in small dust particles in the air messing up the LCD ?? it's the only thing I can think of. It seems to be an Apple problem!

Just seemed to start overnight as a small issue but getting worse.

- Reading the previosu post that it took "two days for the fix" is encouraging..minus the dust issues that came after it. (Sorry about that problem! I can only imagine that frustration..hopefully I wont have the same aggravation when I call them to get this fixed/replaced!)

photoimac-vi.jpg

Is that my impression or you got some color uniformity issues too?

YoFromPhilly

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Is that my impression or you got some color uniformity issues too?

Nah, no color problems at all from what I can see, looked at the screen from all angles (I see what you mean from the photo.) I snapped this with my iPhone4 looking down, so maybe it gave it that effect?

Just the annoying blotches, dark spots.

As for gaming, nope haven't played any games on this. I use it strictly for graphic design, web deign and photography & SOME A/V editing. It's now become very tricky editing some photography. Photos / portraits with white backdrops..I'm trying to edit out what I think is a dark patch in the photo, but its the monitor. Frustrating.

Really wanted to wait until after the holidays, but I have to get it taken care this week. Calling Apple first thing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fuzzb

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
Quick update.. I took my iMac to my local Apple store last Saturday. They took one look at the screen and said it would need to be replaced as the dark patches were on the LCD panel and not the glass. They then asked me if anyone in the household smoked, to which I replied 'no' so they booked it in to be repaired and said it would take 7-10 days.

They called me yesterday to let me know that it has been repaired and is ready to collect, so I'm going to head down there this evening after work.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Spots on the screen?

Are you a smoker?

Hmmm .... Last year,I took my 3 year old iMac ( 24" ) in to have an HDD issue looked at. A tech came out and ran a test and confirmed the HDD was going bad. They said to leave it and they would repair it as soon as possible.

I got the call and went back to pick it up.

At that point they informed me that because of Apple Care I had saved myself something like $1400 in repair bills. I was like....

:eek: :eek: :eek: $1400 to replace the HDD????

The employee said, " oh no, we also replaced your LCD panel because the tech saw some spots or something and .... "

They never called to ask if I was a smoker but AFTER they had repaired the unit they asked that question.

I am using that 24" iMac as I am typing and it never looked better.

Because my Apple Care on it expired just this week, I am looking at a new one. Probably a 27" I7 version, oh and you can bet I will be buying the Apple Care for it.

YoFromPhilly

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Spots on the screen?

Are you a smoker?

Hmmm .... Last year,I took my 3 year old iMac ( 24" ) in to have an HDD issue looked at. A tech came out and ran a test and confirmed the HDD was going bad. They said to leave it and they would repair it as soon as possible.

I got the call and went back to pick it up.

At that point they informed me that because of Apple Care I had saved myself something like $1400 in repair bills. I was like....

:eek: :eek: :eek: $1400 to replace the HDD????

The employee said, " oh no, we also replaced your LCD panel because the tech saw some spots or something and .... "

They never called to ask if I was a smoker but AFTER they had repaired the unit they asked that question.

I am using that 24" iMac as I am typing and it never looked better.

Because my Apple Care on it expired just this week, I am looking at a new one. Probably a 27" I7 version, oh and you can bet I will be buying the Apple Care for it.

Not a smoker anymore, quit way back in 1999.

$1400 - Wow, that's crazy, basically the base price of a NEW Mac..glad it worked out. I'm glad I did get the AppleCare. My friend said "warranties" are crap, useless..just an item to get your money - "Don't bother getting AppleCare". But there was no way I was buying a pricy item like this without coverage.

I just do hope they wont give me a hard time - claim "environment issues" and they won't cover it. That would be a load of BS.

Wish Apple would acknowledge this LCD, overheating issue, whatever the flaw is and fix it. I'll see what happens..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.