Darkening The New Brown Leather Apple Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by catalyst07, Sep 25, 2013.

1. catalyst07 macrumors member

Has anyone put mink oil or leather honey or other conditioner on the new brown leather case? If so, can you post pictures? I'm curious as to how much it will darken up, they're a bit too orange-y for me when new

Thanks!

2. justiny Contributor

justiny

I'm interested in this as well... I may even try this out on my own.

3. davidinva macrumors 6502a

If you have a shoe repair shop or a leather shop in your area, they may be able to advise on this.

4. catalyst07 thread starter macrumors member

Well I have some leather honey and a brown case. I just want to see if someone else has a picture of what it will look like before I do it since I wont be able to return it afterwards. I used it on my tan ipad smartcover and it turned out great

5. justiny Contributor

justiny

6. phas3 macrumors 65816

I'm going to do it sometime this week, I have some mink oil but I left it in my storage unit.

My brown case is already showing wear and it hasn't even been a day yet kinda disappointed.

7. justiny Contributor

justiny

Any pics?

8. phas3 macrumors 65816

9. justiny Contributor

justiny

I saw that pic in a different thread... That is a pic of a beige case, not brown.

I'm interested in seeing wear and tear on a brown case.

10. RenoG macrumors 65816

YES!! Someone do it so I can see and like it and do my own. I'm waiting.

11. phas3 macrumors 65816

Nope, it's brown trust me I'm look it at the exact packaging that case in the picture came from.

12. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Then I think you got the wrong case for your package...that is a beige case.

Thanks for the picture though, your the first to post a picture of the worn case....I will definitively not get the Apple ones. $40 is a lot for something that wears away so quickly.

13. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Here's an album I found from another site, showing wear on a brown case: http://imgur.com/a/fmJNL.

14. Partridge macrumors 6502

That doesn't look like wear, that looks like pigment transfer from your bluejeans. Not the case's fault. It'll happen to any light leather or plastic with denim.

15. justiny Contributor

justiny

Thanks for the link. I can't believe how fast these things are wearing. Every passing day, I'm growing more thankful that I went with black.

16. RenoG macrumors 65816

These suppose it worn cases look simply like jean dye transfer not the actual break down of the leather.
    Tight skinny jeans+leather iPhone case= major jean dye transfer.

17. phas3 macrumors 65816

just used mink oil on the case...didn't do a damn thing but make it smell like mink oil

18. justiny Contributor

justiny

Well, thanks for giving it a try and reporting back. And good to know your case is actually brown... That photo you posted looked seriously beige.

19. RenoG macrumors 65816

Alright mink oil is out, next!!

20. phas3 macrumors 65816

Anyone know if I can put obenaufs lp over the mini oil?

21. RenoG macrumors 65816

I have to go back again to that leather iPad Smart Cover dye thread to see what they used.

22. Antgb84 macrumors 6502

Ouch! It's painful to see this only after days of use, Apple advertised it as their premium leather case, really? $40 will get you 3rd party case that offers 10 times more quality and durability, just look around. Shame... I learned this from buying official bumper case for my iPhone 4, like in white and blue which turned grimy very quickly and lost their appeal.

This one only imitates the feel of leather and does not offer any quality whatsoever. I'd seriously consider getting something from Speck or just any bumper case on Amazon would do just fine if you like the look of the iPhone and don't wanna cover it up entirely.

23. meihcydna macrumors regular

Back of the package even says the appearance will change over time. Get over it people, it's leather.

24. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Than you for you advice. Can we see a photo of how your one is looking:rolleyes:

25. ksoze macrumors regular

ksoze

Have had the brown case since Monday - not one sign of wear or color transfer. Worn in dress pants pocket, jeans and carried around all day and night. More interested in Jeopardy reruns than sweating potential wear on a $32 phone cover some day.