Darling Taxes the Internet

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I have cable broadband, but not a fixed line telephone line. Look like I won't be paying the tax. SHAME!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
London
I have cable broadband, but not a fixed line telephone line. Look like I won't be paying the tax. SHAME!
Lucky you. I hate the fact that to get ADSL you have to have a phoneline. I'd be happy with mobile only (and cable in my area is not worth having)

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Just out of curiosity, if a provider advertises service as £20/month, is your final bill at the end of the month (assuming you didn't make any toll calls or whatever) actually £20/month, or is it more? Because in the US, if it's advertised as $20/month, it will actually be more because of taxes and fees, and in that case, I don't feel too sorry for you :p

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
London
Just out of curiosity, if a provider advertises service as £20/month, is your final bill at the end of the month (assuming you didn't make any toll calls or whatever) actually £20/month, or is it more? Because in the US, if it's advertised as $20/month, it will actually be more because of taxes and fees, and in that case, I don't feel too sorry for you :p
It should be including taxes. As we don't have different states charging different rates of tax the norm in the UK (and the rest of Europe) is to advertise the price actually charged. So if you are in the supermarket and it says a bag of crisps is 45p you pay 45p.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
lmao, sunshine can go whistle, this is bloody ridiculous, betting pot being opened on when he introduces a tax for farting and going to the loo

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Lucky you. I hate the fact that to get ADSL you have to have a phoneline. I'd be happy with mobile only (and cable in my area is not worth having)
Exactly what I do, I use my iPhone for all calls. I see as Im already paying for that I might as well use all the minuets.

I feel sorry for my parents, they use ADSL broadband back home, and don't really need the internet, use it rarely. They are being charged an extra tax to fund the next generation of internet. They live miles from anywhere in a small village that will never get a next generation connection.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale

just $20?!!
i pay $50 for 7mbps:(

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
London
You haven't got naked DSL?:confused:
If you have a phoneline (for the DSL to come in over) then I think you might get taxed even if you don't have phone service on that line. Having said that all the DSL I've seen here requires that you either have a BT line (meaning a phone line) or if it's LLU then you have to take phone service from the company unbundling you.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
If you have a phoneline (for the DSL to come in over) then I think you might get taxed even if you don't have phone service on that line. Having said that all the DSL I've seen here requires that you either have a BT line (meaning a phone line) or if it's LLU then you have to take phone service from the company unbundling you.
Bummer:mad:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
How are they not being charged an extra tax for something they neither want nor need?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
£20/month means you pay £20/month with no extra charges/fees/whatever. So that is equivalent to $32.50/month.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
London
I bet they see £6 as a starting point as well.
Well it gets better: they (the Government) have made it clear that they intend this to be applied to any telecoms connection terminating in a home even if that connection is not used for phone service. So if you have a second BT line as a dedicated fax line (someone must still have this) then you'll pay £12 a month. Or if you have cable TV but no phone service on that you still pay £6.

I fully expect this to rise at way above the cost of inflation when they realise that the expected £1Bn over 7 years is pissing in the wind (they say right now they expect it to last 7 years: expect to hear every excuse under the sun for not scrapping it). I can's see how they can cable up the rural areas of the country for that...

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8403273.stm

UK Chancellor introduces a £6 a year tax on all UK homes with a phone line. All I can say is I will be voting for anyone else.
OK, I'm guessing you live in London, with a reasonable broadband service? What if you lived in a rural area with less than 1Mbps available to you?

Is this any different from the NHS, or the State Pension, or Council Tax?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
OK, I'm guessing you live in London, with a reasonable broadband service? What if you lived in a rural area with less than 1Mbps available to you?

Is this any different from the NHS, or the State Pension, or Council Tax?
The broadband service in rural areas is very poor which is why they are introducing this tax.

I live 2 miles inside the green belt in the West Midlands conurbation and have got a massive choice of internet options going up to 50 mbps. My brother lives in a large village which is only 3 miles the other side of the green belt and he is stuck with a crappy 1 mbps connection.

A lot people who live deep in the country side have no broadband options at all so if this tax is used as intended, 50p per month isn't a big price to pay.