Dashboard - do you use it? If so what for?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stuarthatto, Aug 24, 2009.

1. stuarthatto macrumors regular

2 years since I moved back to Mac from PC - Vista made the decision easy at the time.

However, in 2 years I have only used Dashboard maybe 14 times - mostly in the first week or owning my shiny new MBP.

I use Exposé all the time of course, just dont see the point for Dashboard.

So am I missing a trick here? What do you use dashboard for?

Stu

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use it constantly. iStat Pro widget to monitor my system, Harmonic for iTunes lyrics, various calculators, converters, translators, sticky pads, stock trackers, etc. Very useful. Expose is completely different. It's used for revealing what apps/files you have open on your desktop.

3. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well... let's see...

I've got Weather, MAMP controls (by the way, it was switched on), AmazonArt, Calculator (although I rarely use it), and Dictionary. All of them very useful, and I'm planning on adding even more, maybe even build some of my own.

4. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Agree with posts above, for me most important is iStats and Weather - cuz I dont look from window to see how is there weather and what clothes should I wear when I go out...:p

5. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I use it for iStat Pro, until they release a 'menus' version for Snow Leopard.

Also a nice doppler radar. I only have a motorcycle, so it's nice to know if I'll be getting wet.

6. stuarthatto thread starter macrumors regular

But can't you do most of this stuff with normal apps? I mean I have iStat in my menu bar.

I am just wondering about the usefulness of a hidden page of desktop apps. I think Vista desktop widgets are a better design for these kind of things - its there on the desktop, not hidden?

I know that if you set a developer mode you can elevate the dashboard widgets to the desktop I guess I just don't get why that is the design Apple settled on.

I just checked my dashboard this morning and all I have is a weather widget - but I never look at it - ever...

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

When I got my Mac, I wanted to try to use as much of the OS as I could, and I started using Dashboard for the first 2 or 3 months, but since then I really haven't felt like it was worth using. Maybe I just didn't download the right apps - even the guitar tuner / guitar chord widgets...I just don't really use them.

iStat Pro I have on my top menu bar (although I'll have to give it up for awhile, because it looks like Snow Leopard doesn't support the current version...), and if I need a calculation or dictionary entry, I just command-space into Spotlight.

Since you brought it up, I actually don't use Exposé at all - I have 9 Spaces set up with specific apps in each one, so I can click my scroll wheel to zoom out to see all of my spaces, and click into whichever one I need.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I wouldn't want it on the desktop all the time.

Yes I use it. I'm glad it's there, and I'm glad it's hidden when I don't need it. There's no need to open separate little apps, but it's not cluttering up my desktop. I would hate that.

9. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

iStat Pro caused that OS X sleep issue where it wouldn't wake up for me! Had to uninstall it!

I only use Dashboard for the currency converter.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i use it all the time, iStat is good (my menu bar is full), i use the converter, widgets for my folding, quick news things, deep sleep widget, heaps of other things such as games to waste time etc.

11. Treq macrumors 6502a

Treq

I use it all the time for quick info. Sports scores, Movie times, iStat, TVForcast, Stock Quotes, Conversion calc. Ect.

Attached Files:

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I used my dashboard the most the Christmas I had it set up so there were a load of flashing fairy lights around the edge :eek:

I mainly use it for currency conversions (although it's seemed a wee bit odd recently), weight conversions, stickies which I need but don't want sitting on my desktop the whole time and istat.

That bugs me whenever I use vista. It's just clutter (partly because I've never seen anyone add anything to the default set up which often isn't all that useful)

I never knew that spotlight calculator trick! I had sort of noticed the dictionary bit, but since I keep dictionary in my dock had never used it.

I've never got the hang of Spaces. Even when things get really cluttered I still prefer Expose. Used Tiger too long I suppose.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you can put dashboard items on the 'desktop' too, maybe you could outline them with fairy lights :p

i use spaces all the time! like every day, its very handy - dont use office with it, it DOESNT work :(

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

No, that's crap. Why would anyone want a bunch of mini-apps junking up the desktop all the time? I use a number of Dashboard widgets--calculators, stickies, converters, calender, more stickies, etc. It's very convenient that a touch of a mouse button and there they are, I spend a few minutes with them, then they go away and don't bug me or interfere with anything until next time I need them again.

--Eric

15. LoganT macrumors 68020

The only time I use Dashboard is when I want to know the date of the day. And to set custom sleep times

16. ZizousamA macrumors member

I use it constantly. The great thing about it is that it keeps my desktop neat and I don't have to be bothered with these apps in my face all the time. If I need them, I go to the dashboard and if I don't, they're there ready to be called upon. I dislike having many windows open and having to look for the one I need. That's where dashboard comes in. I just love it. You need to find the right widgets for yourself. Widgets that perform tasks you need and you'll love dashboard as it simplifies things for you.

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

At first I used it a lot… these days I probably only access it if I want to check the Mac's fan speeds or temperatures. Probably once a week or so…

18. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

iStat Pro, Yahoo Finance & AccuWeather & Dictionary (comes with system), Quicken QuickEntry, and Earthview (showing the terminator as it goes 'round the Earth).

I mostly use the Finance thing to keep up with my stocks.

19. lamadude macrumors 6502

I don't ever use Dashboard or Spaces, but I do use exposé all the time.
    In fact I have dashboard turned off completely, even, even when I press the dashboard button on my keyboard it will do nothing.

20. 2056 macrumors 6502

i use it at least a couple of times a day for weather, istat, lyric search, notes (i'm so forgetful), calculator, etc. funny, i don't really use expose. :rolleyes:

21. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Calendar. Calculator. Dictionary. Occasionally a currency converter.

22. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Calendar, Weather, DailyVerse, and ClearCheckbook are there for daily use. Occasionally, I'll run something like Delivery Status. I like having it hidden because it means I don't have to clutter up my desktop and look at it all day. I can just "F12" it up for a quick glance and then hide it again.

23. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

After updating with the latest service pack from Microsoft, Spaces and (at least) Word seem to work together ok. Previously, if you switched spaces and then came back, the little floating toolbar would go blank, and you'd have to click on it to restore it to normal.

I was just checking a document last night though, and it seemed to switch back and forth with no trouble.

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how very interesting! thanks for that, i will try it out :)

25. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I find dashboard widgets are a resource drain to the point i stopped using them in leopard.

I tested a couple in SL and it seems more responsive, whether dashboard itself is any more efficient or it's a general improvement from Grand Central i don't know.

I hadn't planned on using dashboard in SL, but as other posters reckon iStat works there, i'll give it another try. They gotta sort the menu iStat cos i like the graphs showing when a cpu is maxed or some background task is downloading something.

M.