Dashboard weather widgets not display data in 10.14.4

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by loft3, Mar 26, 2019.

1. loft3 macrumors regular

My Dashboard weather widgets have stopped displaying weather data after updating to 10.14.4 last night. Anyone else seeing this problem? Bug or has Apple slowly started killing Dashboard?

2. dav macrumors 6502

It's a problem in 10.14.3 as well and below. Seems like it's something with the Yahoo! or whatever weather endpoint and not necessarily dashboard itself. Mine are all blank right now.

(edit)

Posted this on another thread, but I've been testing the requests in "/System/Library/WidgetResources/.parsers/weather.js" that the widget references and getting some errors from the site.

Attached Files:

3. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

At first it was just one station, now it all my cities aren't updating.

Anyone else getting this problem? This is really frustrating, I don't know how else I can get my weather.

4. MIKX macrumors 6502a

MIKX

5. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Don’t Apple care anymore? For some the Dashboard is the macOS killer feature.

6. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

You don't notice it until it's gone. I didn't even think about it until I couldn't see my weather around the world, and became conscious about how difficult it would be to look up the weather for 4 different cities.

7. colinsky macrumors member

colinsky

Me, too: Dashboard weather no longer gives me the temperature.

8. Zen5656 macrumors member

Same here in High Sierra 10.13.6. No weather data incoming..

9. Ron21, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019

Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Looks like Weather Channel / Yahoo killed or changed the API this widget uses, bummer, since I think this widget provided a good experience.

My guess is, unless Weather Channel / Yahoo fixes the API, Apple will probably never update it to use another source since 'Dashboard' is a legacy thing in MacOS :(

10. modandroidapk macrumors newbie

modandroidapk

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

+1 as of sometime a week ago or so. :(:mad::eek: and some unprintables.

12. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Just setting up Safari bookmarks for the cities I need..or just ask Siri :)

13. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

The one in the notification center works peachy.

14. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Yeah, no kidding. That's not what this thread is about.

The notification center is a pretty weak substitute for the instantaneous and large HUD that Dashboard (when configured correctly, as an overlay) offers. I rarely touch it.

Dashboard is in such a weird state of suspended animation. It's still there in Mojave, but disabled by default and, AFAIK Apple hasn't built or updated any widgets for it in years. It's a real wasted opportunity, because it's got incredible potential as another layer of information.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I made a Safari-based web clip of a segment of my local weather.gov page and used that in Dashboard for a little while but all of a sudden that widget-based clip stopped working for me too. I give up. Not sure Dashboard widgets get a lot of attention or curation by Apple any more so I'm becoming wary of using any I haven't used in the past.

Meanwhile all this high tech on tap in our phones and laptops and I'm stepping out on the deck to have a quick clue about the local weather? I loved a brief glance at weather on my laptop's Dashboard.

16. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

Change your workflow, write your own widget and stop your whining. That thing is a time waster. notification center is tons better.

Funny -- how my opinion means nothing to you and vice, eh?

17. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

18. dav macrumors 6502

Posted on that one as well. It's definitely the endpoint service that provided the data that's having some issues. I believe it's Yahoo weather or something like that.

My (personal) issue with weather in Notification Center is that I primarily live on the "Notifications" tab and don't want to click over to the "Today" tab when I swipe over. All information I need is on dashboard so everything is just one click or swipe away.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

20. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

I'm the opposite - but I get that.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2019 ---
    14 YEARS ago, before iPhone even.

21. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Parts of the UNIX macOS work today as they did in 1976. Why should Dashboard be any different? Regressions like the weather widget not working are signs of a tardy product that isn’t properly tested. The buck stops with Tim.

22. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

A service ended, happens all the time. Quite possible Yahoo didn't even tell anyone they were shutting it down.

I had one of the first weather apps on the App Store - and pulled data from a yahoo service, which they abruptly killed about 3 years into the life of my app.

It happens. Find a new service and whip up a new widget.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2019 ---
    Hey y'all, will this work for you?

https://www.dummies.com/computers/m...om-dashboard-widget-in-mac-os-x-snow-leopard/

23. ignatius345, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019

ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Who came into a thread specifically about Dashboard to piss all over it? You got nothing better to do? Move along. We all know the Notification Center exists but thanks again for the brilliant suggestion.

24. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

Will do, apologies -- continuers whining about your plight.

25. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Discovered it wasn't working today, came to the same conclusion about the Yahoo data being down.

After a five minutes google found a note from Yahoo saying some query APIs were getting shutdown, so may be related.

Fired up an old PowerBook with OS X 10.5. The Apple provided widget uses AccuWeather data and that still works fine.
    Pulled the widget off the 10.5 machine, but doesn't work on 10.14.

Went looking for other alternative weather widgets and most are at least 10 years old!. This is the only one I can find that still works : https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25448/accuweather-com-widget