Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ellezk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
I recently got a new iphone, but I have to return the device after my contract ends. At that time, when I reset my phone to clear it of all data, will all of my data “really” be cleared? I saw on the news that someone reset her phone and returned it, only for some employees at the phone store to somehow recover her photos and look through them. I don’t want to sound paranoid but want to ensure my privacy/security.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
I recently got a new iphone, but I have to return the device after my contract ends. At that time, when I reset my phone to clear it of all data, will all of my data “really” be cleared? I saw on the news that someone reset her phone and returned it, only for some employees at the phone store to somehow recover her photos and look through them. I don’t want to sound paranoid but want to ensure my privacy/security.
Just lookup DFU restore and follow the process. That should erase everything without a trace. You’d need Mac or a PC for that though.

Reactions: Shirasaki

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Erase and reset to factory settings kills the encrypted user data image if I remember correctly. That news story sounds far fetched to me.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Erase and reset to factory settings kills the encrypted user data image if I remember correctly. That news story sounds far fetched to me.
The user data is encrypted, so what is being 'killed' is the encryption key. Without the encryption key you have nothing but garbage code. The user partition is then wiped.

As to the news story, my guess would be that this was either Android, or whomever it was didn't delete her photos in the Recently Deleted folder.

Reactions: now i see it
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.