Data limit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigCanoe, Apr 1, 2011.

1. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

If I pay for a 200MB $15 data plan, is there anything that prevents me from going over? Can I set a hard limit so my data just cuts off?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think AT&T sends a text when you use 65%,90% and 100% of your data and then you can just manually turn off data though settings > general > network

3. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

What if my web browser is running in the background? Is is possible to be using data and not really be aware of it?

4. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Happens quite a bit. Sometimes if you leave apps open that use Data, they will refresh themselves and use consume data. (not much, but it adds up over the month)

5. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

My wife wants an iPhone but shes scared of going over for data, and she doesnt want a data plan. She just wants it to run apps, make calls, and use over wifi. I realize that no one lets you use a smartphone without a data plan any more, but AT&T $15 is doable, but she still refuses because shes scared of going over.

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Purchase an iPhone off contract (From a friend or something) and just put her sim card in it and turn off the data on the phone. (Make sure you turn OFF the data)

This is one way she could get an iPhone.

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Switch data off completely then, since it sounds like she isn't planning to browse/use data over 3G at all. Bit of a waste of $15, but that's one way of guaranteeing you won't go over at all :)

iApples, ATT would detect that you are using an iPhone and automatically add a data plan. Doesn't matter if it's unlocked, factory unlocked, jailbroken, or you're off-contract.
    Or are you just trying to tell OP to disable data in Settings>General>Network? That should work regardless of whether or not it's bought on contract or off.

8. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

What if we took an iPhone, and disabled Cellular data via Settings->General->Network. Then we moved the sim from her Palm Centro into the iPhone. Would that work?

9. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

That's what I just said to do. My buddy does that. He pays about $25 a month (No data plan) just the basic talk and text. He loves it.

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

AT&T will automatically add a data plan when it detects (could be tomorrow, could be in a few months) you're using an iPhone based on what I've read here.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Remember, with Apple's "multitasking", it only pauses the app when you close it. So if you on the browser, and you close out of it, it stops loading the page. In fact, you'll know you are accessing the Internet because there will be a loading icon to the left of the clock. Trust me, 200MB is more than you think. And unless you are running GpS apps in the background, the iPhone wont eat data. Just don't download apps or stream too much video/audio over 3G. Use wifi for that stuff

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is that in Canada?
    Cause in the US once AT&T detects an iphone used on a post paid account without an appropriate data plan they add one automaticly.
    You might duck them for a few but eventually the system detects it and sends you a text saying an iphone data has been added to your account.

13. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

They aren't allowed to modify the contract without your approval. At least in Canada they don't. AT&T may be different.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh its true, a family member got the text from AT&T and data plan has been added to her account immediately.
    Its part of the AT&T user agreement here in the US.
    Not sure how they do it in Canada but with AT&T they have been doing that since last summer.
    AT&T is like a dictator here.:D
    Here's what the texts look like below:

[​IMG]

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

How did you even quote that from me lol. I edited the 'not true' part out 2 seconds after my original post. As it is true from AT&T, but Rogers aren't total pricks here in Canada. So we are able to switch SIM cards and are able to use smartphones without data plans. :) We also have free tethering on 1GB data plans or higher. At least I'm pretty sure it's 1GB.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, we're getting treated like little babies here and cant choose what we want and dont want for our phone service.
    Thanks AT&T and the US for your consumer protection:D

17. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I like the last line in the text message...

"We appreciate your business"

Should be more like...

"We appreciate your money"

18. TheMacBookPro, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You're right- they don't modify the contract without your permission (but they may as well...). They send you a free (how kind of them!) text telling you to call cust svc to re-add the correct iPhone data plan to reactivate data. (dunno what they do if you don't call them, but they probably stop service or something like that)

I should have phrased my post differently- sorry.

19. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Shameful, isn't it?

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

Majority of the work I do is email only, aside from apps that connect to the internet. In the last month, I have used 562MB of data. I'd say get unlimited if possible (from verizon)