Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
hi all,

i have 3 hard drives total 2TB. all have data on them HFS+ format.
hdd1 has same photos i want to possibly recover successfuly.
I moved some folders from hdd1 to hdd2

When files moved to hdd2, did they also move erased data i.e. photos that i could revover,
carried in their slack space ?

If this slack space is an issue for recovery, could anyone let me know if better not to move anything
from hdd1, do the recovery, then move files on hdd2 ?

or nothing above is valid for another reason

thanks

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Moving or copying files from one HDD to another does not touch any deleted files. So the files you want to recover will only reside on HDD1. Thus you need to run a recovery on HDD1. It is advised not to write any data on HDD1 because writing data might overwrite the image files you want to recover.

There are several tools to recover images. I used PhotoRec in the past and it delivered quite good results. It's UI is text based, so it's not the best choice if you are afraid of the terminal. But you can try it without limit for free. And if it did a good job, consider a donation. ;-) (No, I'm neither the author not affiliated with PhotoRec.)

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
tomvos, thanks for the answer. i use sandisk photo recovery. was free utility with some CF cards i was using some years ago, not i think is called LCtech. sandisk does great job with photos and can preview thumbs during recovery.

possibly the bad thing is that i run it on mac ppc G5 ok, not sure if would be supported on my 1.1 macpro as it is intel inside...

alternatively, i would try LCtech which i bought years ago, but not that friendly compared to sandisk.
I will have a go now i see erased files dont move with the folders to new location.
I hope to do nice job, as i write on the disk frequently and no option to leave data as is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.