Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cngrevolution

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
I have used about 6gb in the first 9 days of my cycle. Streaming pandora, Netflix etc. got to keep in mind that Netflix is going to use more data watching the same movie on LTE than 3G because Netflix shapes their bandwidth for quality based on your available bandwidth. The movies really look much Better now. HD quality.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
These posts make 0 sense. Data is data. A webpage doesn't take up more data because it comes to your phone faster. You are in fact doing more than you used to when you were on 3g. Just because it is now more convenient to do more on a cellular connection therefor you are doing more on your cellular connection isn't the same as "I got LTE and doing the same things i used to i use 2.5 times more data."

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I think it all just comes down to where and how you use your phone. I am almost always around wi-fi so I only end up using 1 GB of data a month. If you are not aroun wi-fi that often or you like to use your phone when you are in the middle of nowhere and have no choice you will use more data.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
same. Aside from people who tether where does all of that data get used damnit! That person who used 9gb in speed test alone is the reason they did away with unlimited plans haha.

Root Metrics for the win . Don't worry the data was used for a good reason :p

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I have WiFi at home with a 25Mbps download speed, so I'm always connected at home.

I feel like I've been using my phone a lot more than I used to (b/c my iPhone 5 works very well and my old phone was junk, lol), and my wife and I have used a combined .5 GBs of data per Verizon in 2.5 weeks. I'm going out of my way to try and use data now b/c I want to get my money's worth for the 4GB plan. If this keeps up I might dial us back to 2GB a month.

Needless to say I was expecting a lot more usage than we're currently getting.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I use wifi at home, and I'm at 4GB after 11 days. That puts me on track for 12GB a month.

I don't even stream much video, just the random youtube video.

I do stream music on my way to work, about 30 min each day.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
This is my 4th iphone (in as many years).
I have wifi at work. I have wifi at home.

I average about 200-300mb a month. Most of my siri usage is on 3G/LTE.
I don't stream over 3G/LTE

I've had my iphone5 (on verizon) for a week and have used about 150mb in a week according to my phone.

And according to "data control" I've used 6mb in 2 days (since new billing cycle).

I had an AT&T iphone 5 from launch day til saturday, and used about 200mb.

A bit more, but not much.

My husband and I have a 2GB shared plan. I'm not too nervous. I had a 4GB single plan on ATT (because I wanted hotspot). If I have to bump us up to 4gb it wont kill me.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
These posts make 0 sense. Data is data. A webpage doesn't take up more data because it comes to your phone faster. You are in fact doing more than you used to when you were on 3g. Just because it is now more convenient to do more on a cellular connection therefor you are doing more on your cellular connection isn't the same as "I got LTE and doing the same things i used to i use 2.5 times more data."

You obviously don't know that streaming services delivers content based on your connection speed so the faster the connection the higher the quality the stream.

For example if I watch a youtube video on LTE it will be at 720p vs watching the same video on 3G it will be in 480 or 360p.

So you tell me will a 720p video be the same file size as a 360p video.

Data doesn't always equal data.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Both the My Verizon app and the online webpage say I've used over 3GB just today. You have to be kidding me. I've never even hit 2GB in a MONTH in the past and my usage has not changed. I don't stream video, music, hell ANYTHING at all. All I use mobile data for is email and iMessage. Most of my day today I was at school and on WiFi. I switched from AT&T to Verizon with the iPhone 5.

WTF Verizon?!?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Both the My Verizon app and the online webpage say I've used over 3GB just today. You have to be kidding me. I've never even hit 2GB in a MONTH in the past and my usage has not changed. I don't stream video, music, hell ANYTHING at all. All I use mobile data for is email and iMessage. Most of my day today I was at school and on WiFi. I switched from AT&T to Verizon with the iPhone 5.

WTF Verizon?!?

Are folks reporting this TO Verizon? I also just switched from AT&T to verizon and am NOT seeing this kind of usage.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Yes I called and complained. They said that they think there are still problems with cellular data leakage even after doing the carrier update. The guy on the phone said he would call me back in exactly one month, and if I have overages on my account he would clear them.

Ugh. It took like 45 minutes of waiting on hold before I could talk to someone too. I miss AT&T badly.

Bruins Fan

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Boston, MA
Yes I called and complained. They said that they think there are still problems with cellular data leakage even after doing the carrier update. The guy on the phone said he would call me back in exactly one month, and if I have overages on my account he would clear them.

Ugh. It took like 45 minutes of waiting on hold before I could talk to someone too. I miss AT&T badly.

Bummer, so the Verizon 4G data use while on wifi isn't resolved? Others still having this problem?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I had not noticed this issue til just now.

I downloaded "datawhiz" and sat in my house, on wifi, and watched the Kbs tick up.

Especially noticeable while I did a wifi sync.

from what I understand it's an IOS6 issue, NOT an Iphone5 issue.

Has AT&T said anything yet?
(I was on AT&T til saturday, became a Verizon customer then)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.