Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EastCoastLove

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
I finally figured out how to check how much data you use on your iPhone. I checked it out and i use about 6 GB's a month. How much data do you guys use?

solid0mike

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
I used to use about 1.8 GB a month, and I'm sure I used more with my WiFi.

But now that I have the unlimited data, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go higher than that. Netflix, Facetime, and Pandora :D oh yeah.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
As you can see, I'm not the heaviest data user (normally). The pre-iPhone 4 days with my Nexus One/MyTouch resulted in very little data usage. Now for January, had to use my phone as my only internet source >.> U-Verse went kerplunk on my block for a little over a week. NO TV OR INTERNET!!!!

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 80

cpucrash0

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Texas
I've been using factime over 3g and that uses lots of internet. I'm almost at 2 gigs but I just got unlimited like last month on AT&T so it doesn't worry me now. But I use to have 2gig which I couldn't do much with. I'll probably go over 2gigs soon.

Last edited:

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
A few hundred megs, maybe.

Same here unless I'm tethering. I've always wondered what people do on their phone to consume multiple GB's / month... the only thing I can think of would be watching movies on Netflix, but even then, how much video can you really watch on a phone? I guess I would use more if there wasn't this ridiculous and pointless 20MB file size download limit

e.g. I pay for 4GB / month and tethering, but I can't download files larger that 20MB on my phone, however I can tether to my laptop and download whatever I want... who the f thought that one up?

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Typically I use around 2gb per month. I just signed up for Netflix though, so that may go up quite a bit.

Sorry I don't have a cool spreadsheet.

mcapanelli

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Depends on if your talking about overall usage or just network use. I'm using about 4 gig a month overall with an average of 200mb used on the network.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I normally use 1-2GB per month but since getting to my training station in Utah and finding out the wifi sucks and I'm constantly getting kicked off, I have bumped up to 14GB in January and I'm sitting 17.5GB right now for February. I've been tethering my iPad and MacBook Pro since my 3G connection (which is crap compared to what I'm used to) is actually faster than the wifi here.

I feel bad for using so much, but netflix has been a life saver here and I downloaded an HD movie from iTunes last week.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
8 GB/month. I stream pandora and other music apps and listen to them at work. They don't allow us to stream over the work computer, so I don't have a choice but to use the iphone's data.
My previous job wouldn't even let us listen to music, even on the iphone; so my data usage was under 1 GB/month.

Same here unless I'm tethering. I've always wondered what people do on their phone to consume multiple GB's / month... the only thing I can think of would be watching movies on Netflix, but even then, how much video can you really watch on a phone? I guess I would use more if there wasn't this ridiculous and pointless 20MB file size download limit

e.g. I pay for 4GB / month and tethering, but I can't download files larger that 20MB on my phone, however I can tether to my laptop and download whatever I want... who the f thought that one up?

svenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
I generally use 3-5GB of 3G, mostly from mywi.

How do you tell how much wifi you have used? Is there an app for that??
9yln00jjcv.jpg
??

EastCoastLove

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
As you can see, I'm not the heaviest data user (normally). The pre-iPhone 4 days with my Nexus One/MyTouch resulted in very little data usage. Now for January, had to use my phone as my only internet source >.> U-Verse went kerplunk on my block for a little over a week. NO TV OR INTERNET!!!!

Damn!! over 20 GB's. That's pretty impressive.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I finally figured out how to check how much data you use on your iPhone. I checked it out and i use about 6 GB's a month. How much data do you guys use?

I differ greatly

Sometimes I use 1gb or less
Other times I use several gbs
Few times I used up to 8-9 gbs due to watching a few movies on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.