DataCase Provides File Storage And Viewing On iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Users waiting for Apple to enable the iPhone to provide easy portable file storage can now use DataCase by Veiosoft. What really takes the cake, however, is that DataCase also facilitates viewing of many common files (Office, PDF, text, images, audio, video, and html) on the iPhone itself for on-the-go access.

I have found the application very easy to use. Upon launching DataCase I immediately noticed my iPhone in my Finder sidebar. The connection is created over WiFi, so it's pretty quick and there is no need to lug around your dock cable.

DataCase not only allows you to store files; it also allows you to view them on the go. I tested an Office document and an image and both worked as-advertised. Multi-touch and accelerometer-based orientation work as you'd expect as well.

While the security features are a pretty good start, they could still use a little improvement. The single most important feature included is confirming incoming connections, essentially preventing snooping of your files by other users on your network. Volumes can be set as hidden, browsable, readable, and/or writable, however owner/group or access control list style permissions are not supported.

[​IMG]

DataCase allows you to confirm incoming connections
    DataCase is available for $6.99 from the App Store and works with both the iPhone and iPod touch. Youtube demonstrations are available on Veiosoft's website.

Article Link

2. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I also tried MobileFinder, but DataCase blows MobileFinder out of the water in every respect. MobileFinder kept on running low on memory, and only supported FTP, so not nearly as easy to use. Also DataCase's security features are better, though its somewhat nice that MobileFinder doesn't constantly have sharing on while you are in the app (you can turn it on/off).

In general though, DataCase is worth the extra bucks.

3. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

That is one ugly looking application. I don't care how good it works, nothing that looks like that is going on my gorgeous iPhone.

4. deckwalker macrumors member

Hmmm. This sounds good. I've wanted something like this since buying my phone. I can't wait to get home to my mac to try it out.

5. yankeedoodle macrumors newbie

Should be built into every iPhone OS!

This app is extremely nifty! Works perfectly as advertised -- and really fast, too!

I think Apple should build something like this right into the iPhone OS! :)

6. SilentCrs macrumors regular

Permit me to go outside the normal refrain of MacRumors posters. [edit: personal insults not allowed]

7. ThoseGuys macrumors newbie

agreed!!!

I'm gonna have to go with what that guy said... [edit: personal insults not allowed]

8. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

but they can at least spell "Incoming" correctly...can't they?

9. macmanlex macrumors newbie

One very useful program

I just downloaded this program and within 30 seconds I was transfering files to it and viewing them. This is instantly one of the most useful programs I have.

10. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Before I buy this I have but one question. If I upload an .xls file to it, can I edit the file? For example I have a GPA calculator (I'm a college student) and I can put in 3 credits in the A- column and it factors my GPA and updates if I add 3 credits into the B+ column. Will this work just like on my Macbook?

11. winterspan macrumors 65816

No. This is just a file manager, not an spreadsheet application. There is no office suite available for the iPhone (yet).

12. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

Video File Formats

anybody try or know what video formats work (mpg4 etc?)
    thanks!

oh, and app physically looks nice :rolleyes: you should buy the $999 gem app to pretty up yr iphone!

13. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

The interface is bad, but the functionality is good.

The person who made this is good at programming, but not so good at design.

If someone could collaborate with him on the interface, this could be the best file manager for iPhone. I love how it shows up as a shared computer, really easy access for Leopard!

14. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Anyone know if this works over EDGE or GPRS? Or does it need a Wi-Fi connection even for the FTP access?

15. sadsack macrumors member

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between DataCase and Filemagnet?

16. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

I believe FileMagnet needs a custom app on your desktop, Datacase runs AFP, FTP and HTTP so you can manage files from Finder and Explorer and access them from any web browser.

17. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

Files is another option that does very much the same thing as DataCase and FileMagnet and MobileFinder etc
    i mention it because i looks to have a much nicer interface so may appeal to some of the above posters
    however it doesn't use AFP so won't auto-mount on the finder, which is a shame. you have to initiate the connect from the desktop and mount it like a web file-share
    they should all be able to view the same docs as i doubt they're actually processing the files themselves, just handing the file over to a core function in the iphone os

18. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

whatever the iPhone supports. So mp4 and h264

19. canisreevus macrumors member

I use MobileFinder and find it to be quite nice. The next release is adding landscape viewing and WebDAV. You can also edit all your text files on the iphone. It also has a copy and paste function. The memory issue is supposed to be fixed as well. It's also 1.99.

20. Zurich31 macrumors newbie

Save from email attachments?

Will it let me save files that I get as email attachments?
    This is critical to me so that I can access them when I'm offline.
    Zurich31

21. eyephone macrumors member

I am going to have to try this. So if I uploaded a file to my iphone with this application, and I went to another office computer, would I have to have software on the computer that I wanted send the file to? Does this use the and Ad-hoc type of connection or do you have to have a wireless internet?

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A very useful application.

Can you copy files between the iPhone and multiple Macs, i.e., complete freedom to move files from machine-to-phone-to-machine?

23. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I really need iWork compatibility. But I do love DataCase.

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes. I bought it last night for the fun of it and yes, you can move files back and forth to any computer, doesn't matter. They just have to be on the same WiFi.

25. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

This doesn't require any software to be installed on your PC or Mac. It uses standard file sharing protocols (AFP for mac, FTP for windows) to get the job done. It uses WiFi, so you just join your iPhone to the WiFi network your computer is on and your good to go.