Dave Bautista Joins Apple TV+ Show 'See' for Second Season

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dave Bautista, known for his role as Drax in "Guardians of the Galaxy," has signed on to star in the second season of Apple TV+ series "See," reports Deadline.

Bautista will star alongside Alfre Woodard and Jason Momoa, who were in the first series of the show. "See," for those who haven't watched, is a sci-fi series that takes place in the future.

Image credit: Matt Baron/REX/Shutterstock​

Everyone has gone blind because of a deadly virus, but the children of Baba Voss (Momoa) have the now-mythic gift of sight and must be protected.

Along with his role in multiple "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "Avengers" movies, Bautista is also known for his time in the World Wrestling Federation in the early 2000s. He has also been in movies that include "Riddick" and "Blade Runner 2049," but "See" will be his first major television role.

Apple renewed several of its TV shows for second seasons in November, including "See," "For All Mankind," "Dickinson," and "The Morning Show." There's no word yet on when the second season of "See" will premiere.

Article Link: Dave Bautista Joins Apple TV+ Show 'See' for Second Season

Reactions: 15ngcs1

triton100

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
SEE was the worst show that came out on ATV+. Great potential but awful story and execution. Cinematography was beautiful though. Shame it was the only thing.
I’ve only watched the first half hour of ep one but I must say I was thrilled. It was really exciting. Although I was bored stuck on a train so I don’t know if it would’ve been different if I had purposely sat down to watch it on an evening for planned entertainment.
was curious to wonder how a show where everyone was blind was possibly going to work but so far it’s been a real surprise. The opening fight sequence was insane. Did not expect that. Super high production value.
Same thing with the morning show. Thought I would hate. Ended up loving it. Apple deserve so much more credit for what they’ve done.

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
Well, come back when you see it all.
To me the main issue was the blindness (except of course holes in the story).
Example:
-The actors grab things with perfect precision - that could be ok with stationary things but when grabbing someone else's hand in motion its just plain stupid
-fighting - well that nonsense is a joke - again, precision etc. crazy
-a group arrives to a new location that they have never been and yet they move around without any issues. Try to take blind person, put that person into an unknown territory and then observe how that person behaves. What the show does is simply insulting to the audience.

Anyway, rant over. Cinematography is really stunning. Some shots are really breathtaking and the composition etc. really showed that they cared. I wish they would put the same effort in the the main concept + story than just visuals.

I’ve only watched the first half hour of ep one but I must say I was thrilled. It was really exciting. Although I was bored stuck on a train so I don’t know if it would’ve been different if I had purposely sat down to watch it on an evening for planned entertainment.
was curious to wonder how a show where everyone was blind was possibly going to work but so far it’s been a real surprise. The opening fight sequence was insane. Did not expect that. Super high production value.
Same thing with the morning show. Thought I would hate. Ended up loving it. Apple deserve so much more credit for what they’ve done.

Reactions: ebika and sinsin07

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Example:
-The actors grab things with perfect precision - that could be ok with stationary things but when grabbing someone else's hand in motion its just plain stupid
-a group arrives to a new location that they have never been and yet they move around without any issues. Try to take blind person, put that person into an unknown territory and then observe how that person behaves. What the show does is simply insulting to the audience.

Anyway, rant over. Cinematography is really stunning. Some shots are really breathtaking and the composition etc. really showed that they cared. I wish they would put the same effort in the the main concept + story than just visuals.
I have watched it, and I loved it. It’s my most favourite show on TV+ (not saying much, but there it is).

Ultimately, it’s a story about family. You have a father who will stop at nothing to protect his children, while being forced to confront his past at the same time. I think Jason Mamoa really carries the whole show, and I was very satisfied with the way his fight with Jerlamarel ended in the last episode. I thought it was a most poetic and fitting end for a man with delusions of grandeur.

Yes, there are glaring plot holes that would bust the counter for Cinemasins (or whatever the TV version is called), and really, who cares when the core theme works?

I am guessing Dave will be playing his brother (there aren’t really any other meaty roles in the show befitting someone of his stature). Something to look forward to, that’s for sure.

Ar40

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
Massive news! See was amazing! (I was very surprised by how much I absolutely adored it after reading really bad critic reviews). This is a huge addition - I can't wait to see the chemistry. I expect Bautista will play Baba Voss' brother!

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
...Ultimately, it’s a story about family. You have a father who will stop at nothing to protect his children, while being forced to confront his past at the same time.
Ultimately, this has bee done to death.
Take out the blind factor, add some zombies and you have The Walking Dead.

The blind factor is just a story gimmick.
Post 13 summed up some of the gimmick failures nicely.

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007
You need to watch much more than 1st half of first episode to know. I watched first 4 episodes of See and checked out. Lots of years went by in only a few episodes but it felt like nothing really happened. The queen and bad guys are just poorly written and performed. The main characters are well played but not given enough to do or care about. Maybe it gets better but if you can't convince me in 4 episodes, I think it's just not for me.

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Example:

The fallacy in your perspective is that you’re trying to take a blind person from our vision based society in 2020 and placing them in a future where everyone has been blind for 500 years.

That’s more than 25 generations of humans who have always been blind and had more than enough time to apply Darwin’s Theory of Natural Selection.

Those who had advantages through preferential genetic selection are the ones who survived to pass on their genes. In the world we live in today, without having to use any hocus-pocus, there are mammals with adaptions to blindness, the most common of which are heightened auditory senses and echolocation — that includes humans.

In fact, we see it pretty often in the show with characters producing clicks and Baba Voss himself very obviously using sounds to locate his enemies and his position in a space.

The way we are and the world we’ve built has been influenced by being animals with vision. Take that away and we’d adapt our remaining senses around that. This isn’t learned, it simply is our reality and the reality of thousands of generations before us.

That said, this show went from brilliant to feeling like it was being written as they went along. It felt pretty aimless and rushed. The premise holds a lot of potential. It just needs better writing.

Last edited:

triton100

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Example:

You’ve negated to consider the fact that after several hundred years the human race would have developed heightened awareness of smell and hearing through the lose of sight. This is actually a known fact. When one or more of the senses is lost the brain pays closer attention to the remaining one’s which in turn heightens their sensitivity. After hundreds of years this would have evolved even more greatly. That’s how the human species has evolved and adapted and how all living creatures evolve. So their precision as you put it would make complete sense. You’re comparing an evolved species with today’s. Which is incorrect.
- - Post merged: - -

Ultimately, this has bee done to death.
Take out the blind factor, add some zombies and you have The Walking Dead.

The blind factor is just a story gimmick.
Post 13 summed up some of the gimmick failures nicely.
No you have it wrong. Take out the zombies and the walking dead becomes any story about the human condition in trying environments. That’s the premise of literally every story ever written. And yes See follows that tradition of story telling.

Last edited:

anthogag

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
The fallacy in your perspective is that you’re trying to take a blind person from our vision based society in 2020 and placing them in a future where everyone has been blind for 500 years.

That’s more than 2,000 generations of humans who have always been blind and had more than enough time to apply Darwin’s Theory of Natural Selection.

Those who had advantages through preferential genetic selection are the ones who survived to pass on their genes. In the world we live in today, without having to use any hocus-pocus, there are mammals with adaptions to blindness, the most common of which are heightened auditory senses and echolocation — that includes humans.

In fact, we see it pretty often in the show with characters producing clicks and Baba Voss himself very obviously using sounds to locate his enemies and his position in a space.

The way we are and the world we’ve built has been influenced by being animals with vision. Take that away and we’d adapt our remaining senses around that. This isn’t learned, it simply is our reality and the reality of thousands of generations before us.

That said, this show went from brilliant to feeling like it was being written as they went along. It felt pretty aimless and rushed. The premise holds a lot of potential. It just needs better writing.

They're blind for 500 years. Then whose making all the infrastructure. Blind people do not construct nice-and-neat houses and buildings.

I watched only 1 episode. Who grows and makes their food?

Blind people fighting in a war is more ridiculous than intense.

Reactions: Huck

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
They're blind for 500 years. Then whose making all the infrastructure. Blind people do not construct nice-and-neat houses and buildings.

I watched only 1 episode. Who grows and makes their food?

Blind people fighting in a war is more ridiculous than intense.
You either didn’t read my explanation, in which case I’m not going to repeat it, or you‘re unable to understand Darwin’s Theory of Natural Selection and incapable of thinking three dimensionally whereas future hypothetical blind humans would have to live with hypothetical future conditions, not the ones you’re used to in our reality.

Blind people aren’t some helpless stereotype that you’ve somehow come to believe. The reality is that there are plenty of productive and self sufficient blind people in the world who have jobs, feed and dress themselves and navigate the world just fine, using their remaining heightened senses.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

sidewinder3000

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
This should be fun ;) Bautista is great and seems like a great fit for the show.

SEE was the worst show that came out on ATV+. Great potential but awful story and execution. Cinematography was beautiful though. Shame it was the only thing.
The show isn’t a masterpiece, but it’s a fun fantasy, and the themes are fairly intriguing. I disagree that story is a problem. The scripts aren’t great, and some of the dialogue is pretty clunky, but those aren’t story problems. They’re script problems.

Uh weird comment. And lame.
It’s a joke from Chappelle’s Show. Lame that you not only didn’t get the reference, but chose to criticize a post you don’t understand.

Last edited:

Suckfest 9001

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2015
Canada

That’s more than 2,000 generations of humans who have always been blind and had more than enough time to apply Darwin’s Theory of Natural Selection.

This is the most scientifically hilarious thing I've read since the vaccines cause autism study. Thanks for that.