Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Add onto that takeaway: If you're using Adobe software (Like me with Premiere Pro), there is no reason to get an expensive machine like this because lack of optimization and lack of an NVIDIA gpu

Reactions: jerryk and bhodinut

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
Add onto that takeaway: If you're using Adobe software (Like me with Premiere Pro), there is no reason to get an expensive machine like this because lack of optimization and lack of an NVIDIA gpu

This is critical in the professional context. Time is money, and the rendering time difference in Adobe (by far the most widely used suite) is getting absurd.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Good review. I really hope Apple lowers the price and puts in a Nvidia card in the next year or two. This upgrade was pathetic, especially for the touch bar models.

Reactions: soulreaver99

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
One of the cons with this review is he is coming from a 2015 MBP. I would not expect the usual MBP owner to upgrade their MBP every year. I do however like the 2015 MBP compared to the 2016 even though I ordered the 2016. Historically PC laptops have always been specced better than MBPs at the same price point, so not sure why everyone is complaining about that.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Good review. I really hope Apple lowers the price and puts in a Nvidia card in the next year or two. This upgrade was pathetic, especially for the touch bar models.

I hope Nvidia makes a card that is appropriate for the TDP of these laptops.

rsg1010

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2014
What does everyone think of the 2015 15" Macbok Pro as a purchase now that the 2016 models have been released?

I have contemplating between the TB MBP 13" and the 2015 15" (both base models) and wondering if the extra cash is better spent on the 2015 15" model.

I would just hate to invest in that kind of money on older tech and not be future proofing myself for at least 4-5 years.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
One of the cons with this review is he is coming from a 2015 MBP. I would not expect the usual MBP owner to upgrade their MBP every year. I do however like the 2015 MBP compared to the 2016 even though I ordered the 2016. Historically PC laptops have always been specced better than MBPs at the same price point, so not sure why everyone is complaining about that.

You can't really/shouldn't compare Windows and macOS laptops on a purely like for like component. Generally speaking, Windows requires more power to run, and just don't have the optimisation of macOS. As always it comes down to personal taste and software choices, as well as your work environment/office.

Trouble is the vast majority of consumers just look at specs. I saw today in the Black Friday sales a Windows laptop with an i5, 8GB RAM, and a 512GB HDD, which to the uninformed looks identical to the base 13" MBP.

Also yes, upgrading yearly just never makes sense unless you have buckets of cash or simply buy them to open them on YouTube. Apple rarely introduce something that massively outperforms a predecessor, and that's one of the things I like. As I know the computer I buy is going to be powerful enough for several years to come, and won't be made obsolete in a years time.

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
What does everyone think of the 2015 15" Macbok Pro as a purchase now that the 2016 models have been released?

I have contemplating between the TB MBP 13" and the 2015 15" (both base models) and wondering if the extra cash is better spent on the 2015 15" model.

I would just hate to invest in that kind of money on older tech and not be future proofing myself for at least 4-5 years.
Depends on how Apple and other companies implement USB C. The 2016 MBP is only slightly faster than the 2015 so there is not really a reason to upgrade performance wise. However if you want a good graphics card you probably have to go with the 2016

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015

It is a no brainer IMO. If you read the comments on most of the review videos of the new MBPs, the ones with the most likes are the ones saying the 2015 refurbished mbp is way better value for money right now. They are excellent machines. I was previously a PC user who had stalled on buying a MacBook due to the anticipation for this long overdue update. Needless to say it was incredibly disappointing, I would have been much better off purchasing a 2015 mbp last year instead of waiting, but no one could have the predicted the insane price hike, weaker battery, worse keyboard and same CPU performance. I did purchase a refurbished 2015 model over a week ago and I have been very happy with the experience.

USB C isn't going to take off for at least another year or two, so why torture yourself with dongles for that long? When USB C becomes mainstream, you can sell your older MBP and buy a newer one.

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Depends on how Apple and other companies implement USB C. The 2016 MBP is only slightly faster than the 2015 so there is not really a reason to upgrade performance wise. However if you want a good graphics card you probably have to go with the 2016

It's between the 13" 2016, and the 15" 2015. There's a lot of variables there. If you need the power/size of the 15" but can't afford the 2016, then buy the 2015.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
There is no Nvidia laptop card that will drive two 5K monitors. Some pros consider that ability worth paying for.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
If you're using Premiere then you should be using a PC/Bootcamp anyway. Media Encoder was up to 4 times faster in Windows in tests we did on the Mac Pro forum. Same machine, same config, same settings.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
I own the 2016 MBP 15", and I agree 100% with Dave 2D's keypoints:

• The build quality is amazing.
  • The screen is amazing.
  • They keyboard, once you get familiar with it, is amazing.
  • The trackpad is too large. Unnecessarily so.
  • The dongle thing is really not that much of a deal.
  • Touchbar is a gimmick, I hardly ever use it because my eye focus should be on the screen, not the keyboard.
  • Specs are not in the same level as a top tier Windows laptop.
  • It is too expensive.

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
What you will have on Apple platform when there is no Nvidia GPU and all software has to migrate to Metal?

I mean ALL software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.