David Bowie dies at 69

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jan 10, 2016.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not much in on this yet, but the Hollywood Reporter and HuffPo are reporting that after an 18 month long battle with cancer, David Bowie has died, aged 69.

More on this to follow. :oops:

BL.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The prettiest star.

I don't think I've ever been left tearful by a celebrity's death before now.

:-(

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

His career was helped by and he also helped to launch MTV.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Bowie's greatest musical contribution was giving Iggy Pop a career boost.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'm listening to it now, it's like this is his good bye.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I bought the album last night after seeing it in iTunes right at the top.

I was thinking as I was listening to it that it sounded like the old Bowie once again. It made me happy.

RIP Ziggy.

9. charks macrumors member

Blackstar and 2013's (underrated) The Next Day where an incredible return to form. His best material since Scary Monsters. The man was always forward thinking and there's some pleasure knowing he was working hard until the end.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Wow. David Bowie seemed ageless to me. I had no idea he was ill. Bowie's many musical careers and personas changed popular culture for ever, and immensely for the better.

One of my many fond memories of David Bowie: His appearance on the Ricky Gervais series "Extras."

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Wow. I did not know he was battling Cancer.

Another good one goes off into space.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

13. weckart macrumors 68040

Another musical great bites the dust. Running out of these.

14. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

A big shock to the music world. He was one of those performers who gave the impression that he was immortal.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What an incredible body of work. Thank you David Bowie. RIP.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Reset in Peace Dude, I hope you were surround by loved ones!

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

25 albums, and still relevent....

A sad loss.

18. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

I knew he suffered a heart attack a couple of years back, but never saw this coming.

I am truly saddened by this as he was one of my musical heroes, who never stood still, way more innovative and talented than other artists of his era (Elton John, Rod Stewart etc.). Who else could make an album as soulful as Young Americans and Station to Station then follow it with electronic avant-garde music like his Berlin albums, and even up to his latest album he never stood still, I don't think you can under-estimate how important and influential this man was in music R.I.P David Jones we will never ever see your like again.

19. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Here's a great interview with David Bowie from 2000. What I love about this interview is how he views the future of the internet (starts at 6:20) and Jeremy Paxman just cannot understand it...at all!

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just spotted this on the Guardian as breaking news. As several others have already observed, the man seemed ageless, and his death is totally unexpected.

Agreed.

Actually, I loved a lot of his music - some of it was really superb -- and like the man himself - almost ageless. Unlike a lot of the 60s and 70s stuff, his much still seems fresh and intriguing.

For that matter, he seemed capable of constantly reinventing himself and making himself freshly relevant in musical terms - I bought his most recent album two years ago and loved some of the tracks on it.

And he was a very good actor, too; his performance in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence was excellent, and compelling.

RIP Mr David Bowie, or Major Tom, - this is one of the icons form the 60s and 70s and 80s that I will truly miss, and whose passing I deeply regret.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gutted over this news.

Bowie was the first musician I was really into. Before that I had minidiscs and tapes with various bands and songs on them but no full albums, I listened to a few but nothing really stuck. Then I discovered The Rise and Fall and that was that. It didn't grab me in an emotional way or anything deep. I just thought it sounded phenomenal.

My favourite songs are Suffragette City, Life on Mars, John I'm only Dancing, The Man Who Sold the World, Starman, Changes, Velvet Goldmine, Everyone Says Hi.

Love Cassetteboy's mashup too :)

22. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Maybe not the highest point of his career but will be watching Labyrinth tonight.

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

A huge part of my adolescence. I understand his keeping his illness a secret. The man showed incredible strength. 69 is just too young to go.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was listening to it (Black Star) on Friday and it struck me how 'autobiographical' it was. It really does sound like an epitaph album. The video for Lazarus is very unsettling now in hindsight, but clearly he had the foresight to know how it would be seen in retrospect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

--- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2016 ---
    I actually loved that movie.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

About 5 days ago I was looking for some background music for a slideshow, and I ran across this song. As a long time DB fan, I was surprised I hadn't heard this one before, especially considering how great a song it is. I've spent these last few days with this song playing in my head.