David Pouge's Written Review

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenmymac, Jul 8, 2008.

1. s0upb0ne macrumors member

still no cut-and-paste!!

"Unfortunately, most of the standard cellphone features that were missing from the first iPhone are still missing. There’s still no voice dialing, video recording, copy-and-paste, memory-card slot, Bluetooth stereo audio or phone-to-phone photo sending (MMS). And when the battery needs replacement after a couple of years, you’ll still have to pay Apple $86 for a replacement."

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

"Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do with the G.P.S. According to Apple, the iPhone’s G.P.S. antenna is much too small to emulate the turn-by-turn navigation of a G.P.S. unit for a vehicle, for example.

Instead, all it can do at this point is track your position as you drive along, representing you as a blue dot sliding along the roads of the map. Even then, the metal of a car or the buildings of Manhattan are often enough to block the iPhone’s view of the sky, leaving it just as confused as you are."

GREEEAAAT.....! such a cool feature.... :rolleyes:

3. greenmymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

and.... wait till the app store launches i can bet it will be in there

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

"Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do with the G.P.S. According to Apple, the iPhone’s G.P.S. antenna is much too small to emulate the turn-by-turn navigation of a G.P.S. unit for a vehicle, for example."

booo

5. sananda macrumors 68020

humph ... and we were expecting tom tom turn by turn stuff.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Sounds like Pogue didn't actually test that theory out... Has he got the wrong end of the stick about APple's stipulations about no turn by turn software? I don't recall Apple ever saying the GPS wasn't powerful enough.

Like how he slipped "And Friday is the iPhone’s second coming" in.

Another point is that it sounds like even Pogue and Mossberg haven't really seen the App Store - so these reviews are slightly premature.

"the really big deal is the iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store, neither of which requires buying a new iPhone. That twist may come as a refreshing surprise to planned-obsolescence conspiracy theorists — and everyone who stood in line last year."

7. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

theory? it came straight from apple. no need to test.

8. D3lta macrumors 6502a

These two apps sound cool.

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

GPS stuff is BS. Or I HOPE it is anyways. Would be seriously lame.

10. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Not all of us were expecting that. I have a real GPS; I didn't expect the iPhone to do much, and would never try to use it for real GPS considering the impact it would have on battery life to keep that screen lit for an extended period of while to actually using it for navigation (assuming it's not plugged into a car cord). I hope there's a way to just turn off the GPS to save battery.

11. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Now this GPS thing is part of the reason I'm going out and spending another $300 on the 2nd gen. This GPS chip better be able to do decent stuff and not just the little "bloop bloop here I am" locator useless function. I thought TomTom had announced that their software was already running on it.

12. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

no, you're right. the gps is complete bs.....aka..."marketing fluff".

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

We await Pogue's clarification on the information about the GPS side of things.

14. Inf4life macrumors regular

Inf4life

You don't need turn by turn if you can read a map and street names. Your position on Google Maps should be enough to get you where you need to go.

15. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I haven't read it yet but I like how it was published in the future!

Published: July 9, 2008

Or I guess the NYT may put their physical paper publish date? *shrug*

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Also, the iMac has TERRIBLE battery life! (Assuming I don't plug it in.)

Seriously, if someone were going to use the iPhone this way, why wouldn't they plug it in? What an odd thing to say.

17. calpolygraduate macrumors regular

according to apple website there is turn by turn.......

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/maps.html

"Get directions.

Get directions to wherever from wherever. View turn-by-turn directions or watch your progress with live GPS tracking."

18. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

While waiting for the iPhone I thought I'd give the LG Dare a spin. It's a very nice feature phone, but much to my surprise I have poor signal from Verizon at home, so if for no other reason I'll be returning this in favor of an iPhone.

But my main point is that the LG Dare has GPS with turn-by-turn directions and voice and it works surprisingly well. It's significantly smaller than the iPhone, so I'm rather puzzled as to why the iPhone couldn't do this if the LG Dare can. ::::shrug:::::

19. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

yeah, turn by turn via visual text directions and watch your progress as a blue dot like Jobs showed at WWDC. the marketing verbiage is misleading, just like the slogan "half the price, twice as fast" they keep using.

20. sananda macrumors 68020

we would like directions that are spoken and that give the next direction at the appropriate moment. with iphone you have to manually get the next direction.

21. lazygregg macrumors member

even after the negative stuff im still exited for the iphone 3g

22. bavarian3 macrumors member

So it seems (to me at least) that the GPS unit is not all cracked up to be.. and 3G is fast...

Hmph.

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If price isn't an issue, those in the UK can lap up the Cloud/BTOpenzone wifi happy in the knowledge it'll be better for battery life... We all knew 3G was a battery hog. I wonder if HSDPA is actually more battery use efficient for a given amount of data or less...
    Pogue and Mossberg's reviews are light on hard core testing (or at least reporting of the testing). Hopefully it'll soon become clear - but those reviews will come hours or days after the faithful have queue, and bought their phones...

24. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

The USA Today dude said he liked the GPS and it worked good in his car.