Day 13 Mini decision........

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Gozar, Sep 16, 2012.

  1. Gozar macrumors regular

    Gozar

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #1
    I would appreciate thoughts and input on keeping or returning my 13 day old Mac Mini 2.5 with AMD Radeon and waiting for the next gen Ivy Bridge.
    This is my first Mac, I will use it as my primary computer - browsing, email, light photo editing (iPhoto, maybe Aperature), light movie editing (iMovie), serving media (Plex, iTunes, etc but most of the files will be on a WHS server) to several AppleTVs, iPads, and iPhones. Being that Ethernet and wireless will be the primary conduit for media I do not see that USB3.0 will be a big benefit, please correct me if I am wrong.
    I have a separate Windows gaming PC.

    Since getting an iPad I only use a desktop a few times a week, other than gaming. I am looking forward to learning more about the Mac but only have 1 day left if I am to return it. The potential benefits of an Apple ecosystem is what drove me to pick one up.

    What would you do?
     
  2. n0cus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
  3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #3
    return it on monday.

    buy a 2011 server and then return it in 12 to 14 days.
     
  4. calvol, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

    calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #4
    Take it back, I was told by a reliable source to wait to buy one.
     
  5. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #5
    What do you mean? Elaborate on this please
     
  6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    Location:
    Chicagoland
    #6
    You should just throw it in the trash - it will be absolutely worthless the moment a new mac mini is announced.

    Even if a new mini comes out the day after your return period ends, will it make any real difference to you? USB 3 is probably the only thing that most people would notice in an update.

    Is the possible inclusion of USB 3 worth wiping the data off your current mini, packing it all up, and taking it back to the store?
     
  7. Micky Do macrumors 68000

    Micky Do

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2012
    Location:
    An island in the Andaman Sea.
    #7
    If you need a computer, keep it.

    If not why did you buy something you didn't need, in anticipation of being able to take it back?
     
  8. Truffy macrumors 6502a

    Truffy

    Joined:
    May 9, 2005
    Location:
    somewhere outside your window...
    #8
    I'd keep it. The specs are more than enough for your requirements (as stated).

    But I do have to wonder why you specced and bought a computer that you wish to return without fault.
     
  9. Lancer macrumors 68020

    Lancer

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    Location:
    Australia
    #9
    I'd just keep it, it sounds like it does all you want. Maybe next year look at replacing it if your needs change.

    I'd hate to go though the whole setup then take it back a few weeks later only having to do it all again.

    Next year there will be yet another upgrade, I'm sure the 2011 will work find until then.
     
  10. comatory macrumors 6502a

    comatory

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    #10
    You don't sound like you'd benefit from newer model, hell majority of people only want USB3 and you state that it's not a big deal for you.

    As for CPU, the new models won't be much more powerful, only very slightly which won't be noticeable in real world performance. Also you state that you use the computer only few days a week.

    I think you should keep the current model because:
    1. It does everything you need it to do
    2. You don't gain any new big features by getting new model that would help you
    3. Nobody knows when new Mac mini arrives, you could return your computer and it is possible that new ones are launched in 2013 in February/March
    4. The hassle of reinstalling/getting new machine isn't worth it since you're such a light user.

    If I were you, I'd keep the current model, and in another year or two sell it and buy whatever is on the market at that time that fills your needs, be it newer mini, iMac, regular PC, etc.
     
  11. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #11
    Without being specific, don't buy now, wait.
     
  12. QEin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2012
    #12
    Wait for how long? Can maybe wait 6 weeks at most.

    This site is called "Mac Rumours", so spread the rumour!
     
  13. Gozar thread starter macrumors regular

    Gozar

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #13
    I would have to buy a much bigger trash can if I applied this to all the shiny objects that distract me! :D

    I will keep it, it took me a few months to pull the trigger wondering when and if a new Mini would be released. I do think it will do exactly what I need it to. I did not buy it with the intention of returning it, just began to question my thinking, and for me sometimes the hunt is greater than the prize......
    I am going to enjoy and not look back, at some point in the future maybe it becomes a headless server or gets handed down to my daughter.

    Thanks everyone!
     
  14. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #14
    you need to elaborate on this, no one is going to know that you said this no one meaning apple you wont be held accountable for anything, we have been hearing wait since feb, wait means nothing at this point it could be tomorro or it could be next year again please elaborate on this
     
  15. chuckd83 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    #15
    He means that you should wait in a general sense, not specifically.
     
  16. Bunyak macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    #16
    I was in an Apple Store yesterday to get something fixed. I mentioned off-hand to a Genius that the Mini hasn't been updated for a long time now. He told me that he hasn't heard anything about new Minis - not even any rumors.
     
  17. chuckd83 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    #17
    k, thanks.
     
  18. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #18
    they dont know jack, asking a genius is just like asking someone random in the street i went the day before the sep 12 event and i asked one them so what do you spect to see on tomorrows event? he reply what event ?? like someone here said they are monkeys fallowing orders nothing more.

    ----------

    he said he had a source though
     
  19. chuckd83 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    #19
    Exactly. So without being specific, don't buy now, wait.
     
  20. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

    Santabean2000

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #20
    I know what you mean. My Apple online store cart is always full, despite the fact I have no real intention of buying (immediately). :D
     
  21. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #21
    What you need to think of for yourself is whether you would have any regret. If an updated mini came along in a month, for example, with the higher spec bump, would you regret having not waited a while longer, or would you be happy with what you have and not be too bothered?
    Only you can answer that question. If its the latter then use it and enjoy!
    Personally I know I would regret not waiting a while longer as I'm in no rush to purchase now, so I'm holding out for now!
     
  22. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

    Ice Dragon

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #22
    Even if someone does know something, they aren't allowed to tell anyone or they risk being fired. Am I wrong?

    At any rate, just give me a new Mini before this year ends.
     
  23. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #23
    I wouldn't worry about Ivy Bridge. The longer Apple waits to refresh the iMacs and Mac minis, the more likely they will skip using Ivy Bridge in them and just wait until Haswell. Even if they do update the mini and/or iMac to Ivy Bridge, the difference isn't so much so that you'll have buyer's remorse. That's not to say that Ivy Bridge is nothing over Sandy Bridge, but it's the type of bump that most review sites will say something like "if you have the previous version, you won't feel the need to upgrade; but if you have an older machine, you'll love this upgrade". I feel like that applies here. You won't regret keeping it, but if this is a serious purchase for you, then you should return it. Otherwise, don't sweat keeping it.
     
  24. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #24
    Guys, all I can say is, last Friday night, I had dinner with an Apple employee who knows release dates, and I told him I was going to buy a Mini. He wouldn't give me a specific date, but he said wait, which I took as a release sometime in October. This is a reliable source.
     
  25. sam.dg macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    #25
    The wait could either be for a price-drop, or a new release! :confused:
     

Share This Page