Day 4: Sapphire Scratched!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ARTHURMCK, May 5, 2015.

1. ARTHURMCK macrumors newbie

Not sure how this happened but as I was driving home today I noticed this decently sized scratch on my 42mm stainless steel sapphire display. Didn't expect this to happen 4 days into having the watch since I payed for the display that's suppose to be more scratch resistant and i've been extra careful with not letting the screen touch anything... What a bummer

[​IMG]

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Apple provide 1 yr of free coverage. Get it replaced

3. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

That's a bummer! Contact 1800MYAPPLE and see if this could be a defect since it's advertised as the second strongest to diamond and see what they tell you. Best of luck!

4. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

You're sure it's a scratch and not a smudge?

5. ARTHURMCK thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what it looked like at first.. But i've used a microfiber cloth on it and even scrubbed the heck out of it in the sink... It doesn't come out

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I highly doubt the actual sapphire is scratched. Looks like it's just the oleophobic coating that's scuffed.

7. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Unless you purchased AppleCare+, the standard warranty does NOT cover accidental damage, and you will be charged the out of warranty (OOW) fee. (Former Apple employee here)

8. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

You could take it to the Apple Store and have them take a look. Better now than ever as it seems they are laxed on their replacement policy with this newly released product.

9. MacUser4_20 macrumors regular

True, however Apple may choose to do an EFFA capture to assess the scratch. I would make a GB appointment and call AppleCare. I'm pretty sure this early in the game they will take it in. The hard part will be waiting for the replacement. But, do it soon.
    Apple employee here as well...

10. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Day 4: Sapphire Scratched!

Very true! EFFA (early field failure analysis, a program that Apple uses at new product launches to discover issues with new products early on) would constitute a replacement. I don't know for sure if EFFA for the Apple watch is still open, but it should likely be.

11. ARTHURMCK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips.. I scheduled an appointment tomorrow at 630pm. I'll let you know how it turns out

12. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Can you feel the scratch? If it's not deep, might just be the coating. Still a bummer.

13. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

14. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You can pretty much tell by the image that it's just a scuff on the oleophobic coating. The mark is too wide and it's a white-ish colour.

15. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

16. ARTHURMCK thread starter macrumors newbie

So what's the point of having a scratch resistant sapphire display if its covered in oleophobic coating that scratches anyway? I feel like that defeats the purpose...

17. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Because the sapphire itself won't scratch. The coating is for fingerprints. Had that been a sport model it may have actually gouged the ionX glass.

There's a guide somewhere on how to take that coating off the sapphire glass on the watches.

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Reduces fingerprints and oil smudges. The coating is not permanent. It wears away over time. The more you touch the display, the more the 'scratch' will fade.

It also happens to be more visible than on conventional watches because the display is black when powered off, versus a clear crystal with a reflective watch face underneath. So it's not that the Watch is more prone to scratches, but that the nature of the digital display makes them more apparent.

Unfortunately, there's not much more that can be done to prevent scratches other than designing a display crystal out of diamond.

19. redman042 macrumors 68020

It baffles me that I've seen some reports of people with the Sport model who say they've bumped the watch into things and have no visible damage, while others find damage on both the Sport and the Stainless but have no recollection of how it happened.

I've got both types on order and need to decide which one to keep.

20. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Agreed. As someone who has scratched many minerals in mineralogy labs, that does not look like a scratch in the crystal. way too smooth. If you took a hand lens to it, a scratch will be more irregular, thinner, and crevasse like. That is, IMHO, definitely a smudge of some kind. A hard rub up against paint or plaster, for example, will also really mar a surface making it hard to come off. Or it may be in the coating, but not a scratch. Again, IMHO, of course.

21. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Steel wool will buff that right out. Ask the forum member that tried it on his watch ;)

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Lol

23. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately diamonds are everywhere. Almost any woman in the U.S. who is engaged has one on their finger.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Rubbing alchol will take the coating off after a few goes.

25. flur macrumors 68000

It seems simply not putting an oleophobic coating on the sapphire would solve the problem, no? Am I missing something?