Day-Drinking. Yay/Nay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wvuwhat, Jun 16, 2011.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Used to be done every day of the week by my group of friends in college. Now, that I'm all grown up (and most of my friends), is it acceptable when you're out on the golf course during your day off/weekend? Either Saturday/Sunday? Or Tuesday/Wednesday (in my case)?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

My rule of thumb is that as long as I don't have to go back to work, day drinking is fine. But you might need to apply looser/stricter standards based on your occupation, the people you work with, your level of alcohol tolerance, etc.

But on your day off, why not? It could of course offend someone you're with, but I wouldn't be able to tell you that.

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Ya I think golfing and mid day sports events are good excuses.

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

On a golf course during your day off? I certainly don't see a problem with it.

5. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I think it's fine... as long as its social an you're not cracking open a beer to watch soap operas.

6. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

How about if you switched your day's off the week to Thursday/Friday? And, you drink while watching the U.S. Open?

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

out on the golf course? as long as you aren't driving home drunk!

8. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I see no problem in having a drink during the daytime hours. After all, it's 5:00 somewhere in the world, right? ;)

But in all seriousness, I see no problem at all. Who hasn't gone to hang out at a friends house on a Saturday afternoon and had a few beers? Or gone wine tasting from 12 - 4 on a Sunday? I figure that as long as you are not completely sloshed by 6:00 you're probably in good shape.

9. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Trust me, I lost a friend in high school to drunk driving. I have never and will never drive drunk. I'm the guy that will pay exorbitant amounts for a cab, and if my friends don't have it, will pay for them as well. Most of the time I'll play golf with a buddy and be their D.D., then next time we play, they'll be D.D. But, it's hard for me to not include alcohol during my round of golf.

10. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

My days off are actually thursday and friday. I dont see a problem having some drinks during the day on occasion - even if you're drinking by yourself watching tv. But if it becomes an everyday thing, obviously there's an issue there.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't mind having a bit of beer or wine with lunch when my coworkers or friends go out. I wouldn't have more than that though, because I tend to get sleepy when I process alcohol so I'd be pretty unproductive for that afternoon.

I would not open a beer while actually AT work. I think most companies would feel that was inappropriate, although I've heard that they're more liberal about this in Europe.

Having said that, my previous company used to have a thing where every Friday at 4:00pm you'd go upstairs to the one conference room where they'd serve beer and various snacks. I miss that :)

12. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I agree with that. I would never drink while at work. I won't even have more than 4 or 5 beers if I have to work before 3PM the next day. My main concern was day drinking. For instance, I took today and tomorrow off to watch the U.S. Open, because it's 30 minutes away from my house and thought'd be able to attend (but, alas, couldn't find tickets). So, I decided to head to the liquor store and load up last night after not finding tickets. I'm now smoking a huge brisket and will have about 20 people over tonight. But, at in all honesty, I've been drunk since about 2PM here.

13. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Nay!
    Yay for wine or beer to go with lunch though :)

14. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Nay!? I do appreciate a good white wine with my usual order of chicken slovaki or any other chicken sandwich I usually order at lunch.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Drinking ON the golf course? :eek: I thought that was reserved for the 19th hole (the club bar). If it's not a club, or doesn't have a bar, I'd say just be sure to know the conventions of the particular site before you decide it's okay to drink alcohol while making your way round the course...

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't see a problem if you have a day-off, it's not any different from weekend then. If you're going to have a little party, then it's nearly a must to be little tipsy at least.

On golf course, I could have a beer or two but I wouldn't want to feel drunk at all. After all, golf requires concentration and alcohol makes you lose that. It is gentlemen's hobby so keep it like that. As long as nobody sees you have taken a few beers, it shouldn't matter ;)

I'm on a strict diet so I try to avoid alcohol as much as possible. Now that it's summer, it's quite hard but I try to make it once a week thingy at most. It would be easy unless my friends were drinking all the time. It's hard to spend time with them when they always have a bottle in their hand. When I drink, I usually start pretty early though.

17. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Have you ever played golf?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hell no. It makes me sleepy to drink during the day. That's just me.

19. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I guess it depends on the course, but most I've played at sell alcohol on the course. They'll even have people drive around in carts selling it!

20. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Ding! Ding! Ding! And, usually they are extremely hot. At my home course the 2 "Cart Girls" that circle the course have a plaid schoolgirl skirt and argyle socks beyond their knees. I am pretty much defenseless against them.

21. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Ice cold white wine during summer is the best thing there is :cool:

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This raises a question, do you go to the golf course because of the actual golf or are you there just after the beer and Cart Girls? :p

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, she is commonly referred to as "The Beer Wench." :D

As for drinking in the day on your day off, I don't see a problem with it in moderation.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ack. :eek:

Their tips (with a "p") will put them through college.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Only against my will, while I was a minor. A drink might have helped! :D