Day One 3.0 Update Adds Audio Recording, Dark Mode, and New Editor Interface

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular journaling app Day One reached version 3 today and introduced a number of new features for both free and premium users.

Headlining version 3 of the app is an all-new editor interface that the developers say has been built from the ground up. The action of editing an entry has been simplified so that now it's just a matter of tapping wherever in the entry text that you want to place the cursor.

[​IMG]

Tapping the "Aa" icon now brings up a new Editor menu with entry formatting options including Headers, Bold, Italic, Lists, Quote Block, Code Block, Rule Line, and indents. Meanwhile, Markdown support continues to include auto-conversion of Headers, Lists, Bold, and Italic into rich text.

In addition, Advanced Markdown like tables and HTML are also now supported by means of a Code Block option that auto-detects existing content wrapped in a code block and remembers your viewing preference (code/HTML rendered).

Elsewhere in the new UI, there's a new entry content menu for for adding Photos, Camera, Audio, and Tags, a dynamic photo group collection grid, and entry checklists.

For Premium subscribers, Day One 3 brings a new Dark Mode that can be set to change with the local sunset/sunrise times. There's also a new Audio Recording feature that supports transcription using Apple's Speech dictation service and allows users to record 30 minutes of audio.

Day One 3 is a free download for iPhone and iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link] The Day One Premium subscription costs $34.99/year and is available via in-app purchase, while paid-app users of 2.0 get a lifetime discount for $24.99/year, also available via in-app purchase.

Article Link: Day One 3.0 Update Adds Audio Recording, Dark Mode, and New Editor Interface

2. jb-net, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018

jb-net macrumors member

Sadly the abandoned their once good security approach with 2.7.1 when the decided to upload your PRIVATE encryption key to the cloud by default. The app no longer complies with the trust no one (TNO) security concept and their support team was no help either. I'm now looking into buying an alternative app and recommend every security cautious user to do the same.

3. hagar macrumors 6502a

I purchased several of their apps but they lost me when they switched to a subscription model.

4. syntax Suspended

As has become typical for their major releases, there are already multiple showstopping bugs (check their official Twitter account).

5. bitardo macrumors newbie

>subscription for a diary app

hard pass, thank you.

6. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

Great update!

For those complaining about the sub model... it's optional. The app is still very functional for the price of 0.00.

7. Novus John macrumors regular

Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to drink my coffee rather than give it away to greedy app devs.

8. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

How many cloud services am I expected to sign up for? They could have easily offered iCloud, Dropbox, google drive, and or OneDrive in the free version and then offered to let you pay for their “secure” storage. I bought their first version and have slowly stopped using it because they changed the point of the app. It was about journaling, but with version 2 they decided it was a secret diary and security was most important. It isn’t.

9. jasonsmith_88 macrumors regular

Exactly. It makes me sick when people charge money for things they spent time working on. Who do these developers think they are, charging money for services? Developers should work for free, like everyone else on the planet does.

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

Exactly! As much as I don't like the subscription model, I did happily pay for it. I'm on an older version. I might someday upgrade.

But 'greedy devs'? I'm sure Novus John was full of sarcasm saying that a cup of coffee is really all it costs.

The world has become a funny place - too much liberalization in my opinion where too many people have been given stuff for free (when it's not free) so expectations are low on what should be paid for.

The platform of selling apps might not be great at times, but I think it's a great avenue for creative folks to get their services out there for folks to use.

Cheers,
    Brian

11. Somian macrumors regular

Somian

I’m still on Version 1. Didn’t update since thy announced they would kill iCloud support…

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I'm on version 3. Still using iCloud for syncing.

13. Elian_Gonzalez, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2018

Elian_Gonzalez macrumors member

Elian_Gonzalez

Yet I will bet you like to lecture people about the free market, and if you don't like it, don't buy it, and why do people expect something for nothing?

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Luckily most of their features you still get as long as you bought the paid app. I’m still very happily using it without subscription and will probably be able to continue for quite a while. Since I do use their syncing between iPhone/iPad/Mac, I foresee that eventually I’ll probably have to switch to subscription. But even if/when I do, for $25/yr (for paid app users) while seems steep, totally depends on the value you get from it. If you enjoy it and use it every day... well that’s less than 7 cents a day

15. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

Wow. The forever Plus account they promised no longer exists, and my account status is now called ‘Unknown’.

16. Tilard macrumors newbie

Same here. I hope it's bug in the new version.

17. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

Update: After trying restoring purchases and restarting the app, the account status is recovered to Plus. Glad they still don’t force Plus accounts to subscribe.

[​IMG]

18. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

It's a bug. Force quit the app and re-open it and the problem resolves itself.

19. Tilard macrumors newbie

Force quitting "Day One" helped me as well. Thanks!

20. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Greedy = getting paid for work to make a living?

Maintaining and updating software over time, hosting content in the cloud, customer support, marketing — none of these things are free. And if you’re using “free” services like Google then you and your information are the product.

21. friedmud macrumors 65816

This really is a great app - and I'm happy to hear about the new features. Definitely worth the tiny amount of $ per month...

22. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

I'm glad they fixed the editor. It was so un-intuitive to edit a post before this.

23. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Sigh, i’m pretty disappointed with them.

I’m thinking of developing a journal app, no subscriptions. I fell in love with the original Day One app and I fell out after 2.0

What do you all think would be a fair price point (USD) for the app?
    Are there any specific features that you wish were included in your ideal journal app?

I’d love to get your thoughts, thanks!

24. syntax Suspended

People complaining about the subscription: how the hell else are they going to pay their tech support people or keep maintaining and developing the app? You know those things cost money, right?

25. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502a

ginkobiloba

I would have been happy to pay for an upgrade from version 2 to 3 , but not for a slavescription.