Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I'm not comfortable with any of these home speakers. My cousin has a Alexa and she's experienced some creepy moments with Alexa. No thanks.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
You are getting audiophile grade sound in a speaker the size of a football. It’s insanely better than what most people have.

I'm not an audiophile snob, but the Homepod is a far stretch from audiophile grade. A small single-point speaker will never replace the sound quality of a true stereo system no matter what magical sound processing you apply. Is it better than the Amazon or Google or even Sonos speaker? Yes, I'll give it that.

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Returned mine. Wanted to like it, but was really not impressed. Sounds like any other small speaker, frankly. “Sound filling the whole room” is a load of BS
It is too subjective to say one way or another. Personal preference will dictate one’s enjoyment of any sound system. And returning it is perfectly valid. Expecting a small speaker to not sound like a small speaker is too much. Can’t defy physics.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm not an audiophile snob, but the Homepod is a far stretch from audiophile grade. A small single-point speaker will never replace the sound quality of a true stereo system no matter what magical sound processing you apply. Is it better than the Amazon or Google or even Sonos speaker? Yes, I'll give it that.

And did that Home stereo system cost them $350 or way more?

Bestevaer

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2018
Again, you have expectations based on what you want and what you think is the norm. Seems to me that you’re not getting what I’m saying.

And to reiterate, the HomePod’s sound is a marvel to experience...you should give it a try.

A marvel compared to what? It looks like a lot of people on this forum bought their first decent speaker. So compared to nothing the Homepod should sound great. But the difference to any other comparable speaker (better or worst) is negligible.
[doublepost=1519822439][/doublepost]
You are getting audiophile grade sound in a speaker the size of a football. It’s insanely better than what most people have.
Show me the numbers that the homepod creates audiofile grade sound.... I know it's lame, but these statements are useless... Oh, and i'm a sound speakers engineer (see what I did there?)

Last edited:
Reactions: mi7chy

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
A marvel compared to what? It looks like a lot of people on this forum bought their first decent speaker. So compared to nothing the Homepod should sound great. But the difference to any other comparable speaker (better or worst) is negligible.

Doesn’t make sense! A product doesn’t have to compare to anything for it to be marvelous!

And here is a a decent audiophile review of the decent speaker we’re talking about:
https://www.whathifi.com/apple/homepod/review

Last edited:

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Any real numbers or just speculation?

While sure, pre-order numbers might exceed pre-order of other smart speakers, I keep saying Apple could brand a toaster and be the top selling toaster of all time, Google sold 6 million Google Home Mini's in December alone and Amazon claims tens of milions of Echos were sold over the holiday period and HomePod is only expected to sell 7 million in one year, so all this just doesn't add up to real facts.

Sure, Apple made a good sounding speaker, provided you don't place it on a doily to protect your furniture and then you just have a vibrating can that leaves stains behind, but the idea that Apple is disrupting this industry is laughable, including when virtually every review, even the positive ones, say Siri is absolutely one of the dumbest "smart" services on the market.

Reactions: krause734

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Sure, Apple made a good sounding speaker, provided you don't place it on a doily to protect your furniture and then you just have a vibrating can that leaves stains behind, but the idea that Apple is disrupting this industry is laughable, including when virtually every review, even the positive ones, say Siri is absolutely one of the dumbest "smart" services on the market.
Your argument on the HP staining furniture has been over blown. Anything with conflicting chemicals can leave stains on oil based painted furniture.

Also, I cannot reiterate more how the HomePod is a “speaker first” and a smart assistant second. And, no, Siri is not as dumb as you think.

Have you even owned the HomePod?

Last edited:

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
The sound quality is not even close to better for most people with a home stereo and speakers. I like the idea of smart speakers but I'm hesitant to invest in it right now. It is far from perfection. Good enough for some people for now until Homepods 2.0 come out next year I suppose. I'll keep my dumb speakers until then.

Surely that depends on what home stereo and speakers that people have?

We had a little Sony thing that cost about £300. IMHO the HomePod has way better sound.

So out of interest, are you saying that such a set up is uncommon, or that you would expect a 10 year old £300 Sony stereo to sound better than the HomePod?

And what's with "good enough for some people" comment? Do you even know what 'patronising" means? :p

[doublepost=1519829455][/doublepost]

I guess it depends on how anal you want to be about the definition of "audiophile sound", but it seems pretty self evident that the HP sounds very good indeed, especially for its size and cost. And it may be that it is the first decent speaker that a lot of people are buying, because its only relatively recently that similar setups from the likes of Sonos and Bose have sounded so good at a lower price point than would have been possible 5-10 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: donster28

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Surely that depends on what home stereo and speakers that people have?

We had a little Sony thing that cost about £300. IMHO the HomePod has way better sound.

So out of interest, are you saying that such a set up is uncommon, or that you would expect a 10 year old £300 Sony stereo to sound better than the HomePod?

And what's with "good enough for some people" comment? Do you even know what 'patronising" means? :p

If you spent the same amount as a Homepod on a stereo, speakers, and a subwoofer, I guarantee you would have better sound. Real audiophiles are not buying the Homepod and it's not Apple's intended market. With the smart technology in this speaker, it will be obsolete in a couple years. That is Apple's game with planned obsolescence. It's also too limited to be locked into Airplay for music sources. I am obviously skeptical of the Apple Hype these days. Steve Jobs was noted for using a record player so that should tell you something about iTunes/Apple Music.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
If you spent the same amount as a Homepod on a stereo, speakers, and a subwoofer, I guarantee you would have better sound. Real audiophiles are not buying the Homepod and it's not Apple's intended market. With the smart technology in this speaker, it will be obsolete in a couple years. That is Apple's game with planned obsolescence. It's also too limited to be locked into Airplay for music sources. I am obviously skeptical of the Apple Hype these days. Steve Jobs was noted for using a record player so that should tell you something about iTunes/Apple Music.
Huh? Let me know where you got your crystal ball from or you’re just absolutely sure that’s how things are gonna go?

Audiophiles are the main reason Apple made the HomePod! It is meant to be a speaker first and smart assistant second! What are you talking about and where did you get that assumption from?

Also, here we go again, a comparison to a system with a subwoofer. This just goes to show how prominent the sound quality of the HomePod is...when people start comparing it to something bigger!

Who are the “real” audiophiles are you talking about? I’m an audiophile and I bought it, and so did these other “real” audiophiles: https://www.whathifi.com/apple/homepod/review

Last edited:

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I live just north of Montana. There are warehouse companies just south of the US/Canada border that you pay a small fee to and they receive packages for you. $4 a HomePod is what the handling fee was.

*Edit* spelling was never my strong suit lol

Ahh, that's how folks are doing it. Thanks for clearing that up.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

Ah, I'm not convinced it would be that much better. Whatever else, I'm not someone who thinks decent stereo equipment comes cheap. I had a little stereo with speakers, but no subwoofer admittedly, that cost around the same as a HomePod. I'll happily accept that if you spend a decent amount of money, you'll of course get better sound than a HP, but I'm really not convinced I'd have gotten noticeably better kit for the same amount of money. Plus it reaches a point where The Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in.

Admittedly it would double the price, but another HomePod sat on the other side of the kitchen will, I'd be pretty certain, give a much fuller stereo sound in the space than what we had before, ie two stereo speakers a few feet apart on a shelf. I know it could be set up with regular speakers, but it would be a bit more hassle.

And I'm going to call you on this 'planned obsolescence'. Sorry, but this whole 'planned obsolescence' thing is nonsense. Since things called 'products' have existed, as time has gone on, they have improved from iteration to iteration. Why this term seem to have bee copied, almost exclusively to apply to Apple for some reason is beyond me.

But humour me. Tell me a bit more about how Apple plan their products to become obsolete, compared to other company's products which they simply make better over time?

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
What specific setup are you referring to? Is there one that takes up less than 6 inches of space on the shelf? The HomePod is about great sound in a very small package that can be placed almost anywhere. The small package part is what makes it great for areas you would never put a full blown setup. Also, the 360 degree sound spectrum means you can put it between rooms and not be facing the back of a speaker. The way it handles audio also means you don't need to be placed in the center of two speakers for decent sound quality.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
What specific setup are you referring to? Is there one that takes up less than 6 inches of space on the shelf? The HomePod is about great sound in a very small package that can be placed almost anywhere. The small package part is what makes it great for areas you would never put a full blown setup. Also, the 360 degree sound spectrum means you can put it between rooms and not be facing the back of a speaker. The way it handles audio also means you don't need to be placed in the center of two speakers for decent sound quality.
I’m willing to assume these people bashing the HP, haven’t tried it out at all and are just throwing assumptions on the table...LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Uofmtiger

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010

The size of it is exactly the problem. It's not loud enough for a living room so you have to buy two of them. But you can't pair them together for stereo sound so what's the point? Can't play Spotify and many other sources through it. It's too limited for a lot of people and Siri is garbage. I don't see it as a good purchase for anyone that wants to keep it for 10+ years. It will likely be obsolete. Quality dumb speakers don't become obsolete because you just update the source of your music (Lossless files on your computer, LP's, CD's, etc.).

Reactions: mi7chy

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The size of it is exactly the problem. It's not loud enough for a living room so you have to buy two of them. But you can't pair them together for stereo sound so what's the point? Can't play Spotify and many other sources through it. It's too limited for a lot of people and Siri is garbage. I don't see it as a good purchase for anyone that wants to keep it for 10+ years. It will likely be obsolete. Quality dumb speakers don't become obsolete because you just update the source of your music (Lossless files on your computer, LP's, CD's, etc.).
No, the sound quality for the size is not the problem. It is a solution to a problem. One is plenty loud for most living rooms/kitchens/bedrooms.

Pairing will be added later. It has already been announced.

You can play any source to it with Airplay.

Siri works great for music...which is the main focus. I also use it with HomeKit and it works great for that, as well.

I don't plan on amortizing the cost of a $350 speaker over a ten year period. However, I expect that it will still work in 10 years. Airtunes (now Airplay) was introduced in 2004. It was updated to Airplay later but it was backward compatible. It has been 14 years for that technology and Airplay 2 is backward compatible with Airplay 1.

Decent sounding dumb speakers are great. I have many. They don't have the convenience/combined features of Airplay, fit in a 6 inch space, have built in room correction, 360 sound dispersion, or have the on-command convenience of Siri with Apple Music/Podcasts.

Last edited:

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

How big is your living room, and how loud does it need to be?

If it is loud enough so that you couldn't really talk to people in the room, isn't that loud enough?

You can play Spotify through it.

And what sorts of things, really, would a lot of people be asking Siri that Siri would struggle with?

I know physical formats have come and gone, but its hard to imagine streaming becoming defunct within ten years.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not sure how anybody can say it's not loud enough for a living room at all. Unless you lived in a massive mansion

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Good point about volume. From this video comparison HomePod seems to be about a third the volume of the Google Home Max so maybe more suitable for closest or bathroom speaker.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Since people decided not to read the article, it sold better than every pre-order speakers besides the Echo Dot, which isn't surprising because the Dot is so cheap.

HomePod is already doing better than many here thought.

The report talks only about day ONE pre-orders... not ALL pre-orders.

Apple hyped up their speaker for months, and publicized when you could pre-order, so of course its day ONE pre-orders would be high.

Other devices like the Echo Show and Spot were not really known about until you happened to be on Amazon and noticed it, and then you pre-ordered one if you wished. In other words, they had a soft pre-order start.

Last edited:

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Good point about volume. From this video comparison HomePod seems to be about a third the volume of the Google Home Max so maybe more suitable for closest or bathroom speaker.

The Max is 3x louder than the HP?

That’s a surprise, I must admit.
[doublepost=1519854554][/doublepost]
The report talks only about day ONE pre-orders... not ALL pre-orders.

Apple hyped up their speaker for months, and publicized when you could pre-order, so of course its day ONE pre-orders would be high.

Other devices like the Echo Show and Spot were not really known about until you happened to be on Amazon and noticed it, and then you pre-ordered one if you wished. In other words, they had a soft pre-order start.

So is the theory that the Echo devices, which were not that well known about, would have subsequently outsold the HP which apparently is well known about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.