Day Two Visiting the rMB - Saturday

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hankster, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I visited the flagship Apple store in Tyson's Corner this morning again. Spoke with the front person and they said no stores (anywhere) have the rMB in stock for sale. He stated all sales have to go online at this point. I told him I've bought four MBAs all in the stores and wanted to know why this one wasn't available in the store. He had no idea but said it was odd how none of the stores have inventory to sell.

Anyway, I played with the rMB Friday morning and so I wanted to use it again...see if I got a better feel for the machine after a day. I experienced a few new things. This is for the base model.

Thin: It is thinner than I recall even from the first day I used it. For me the MBA didn't need to be any thinner. I feel the MBA is the perfect thinness for a laptop. However, the retina display is why I want this machine. I picked it up a few times and played with it in my hands (leaving the power and security wire on of course) and it really feels like I'm holding my wife's iPad 2.

Keyboard: I'm almost 40 and I've been typing properly since 7th grade. So, for me typing is not an issue and I have not found typing to be an issue on this keyboard. On Friday I did notice the lack of depression on the keys but today it didn't bother me at all. This supports my assumption that everyone will simply get used to it. I opened Word and typed two paragraphs of random babble to test the feel.

Performance: Well, this is a little tough to test, for my needs, because the most powerful software I use is Adobe Photoshop and it wasn't installed. So, instead I opened up five tabs and went to YouTube. I played five videos simultaneously while having the entire Office Suite (four applications) open. I saw zero lagging or slowness in the machine.

Sound: Just like every new iPhone, it seems every new MacBook sounds louder and louder. Today I played a music video and turned up the speaks to max. Wow, this machine is loud! I'm not even kidding when I say this laptop can easily sit in a large room and fill it with music. The speakers are very loud, probably the loudest I have heard on any MacBook. If anyone has a chance to play with one try it. Open up a music video and turn the speakers to max...you'll be amazed.

Track Pad: I saved my con for last! I have not enjoyed using the new track pad at all. First off on all the MBA there is a good half inch of space between the space bar and the track pad. That's gone. On the rMB the space bar and the track pad almost touch (look at the photos and you can see, they are very close together). The issue with this is the spacing with your thumbs and fingers while typing and using the track pad. It feels too clumped together.

Also, the machine I played with had a very odd track pad sensor. I could not for the life of me get a "right mouse click", and I've used three MBA over the span of five years. The sensors are very odd. However, I'm sure you can adjust them (I hope).

Two other small items I wanted to mention that I don't think anyone else has said yet. The track pad does move down when you click it. With the new device under the pad I think many assumed there is no real "click". That's not true. There is a click because the actual track pad moves down when you press down. I looked right at the edges of the pad and I pressed down and could see it move.

Lastly, the "force touch" is just another depression down. Just picture your clicking your track pad. Well if you press harder you hear another "click" and that's the force touch. Basically, Apple added two clicks. One is a standard click and then a harder click. Both make a sound.

Conclusion: Overall, I'm still looking forward to my machine arriving. However, not being able to purchase it in the store is odd. Many people won't understand this but, if Apple does not allow devices to be sold in the stores they are preventing people from paying in cash. A very long time ago the Federal government forced Apple to accept cash in their stores. Apple did not previously accept cash in their stores. The issue with this is if I have $2,000 in cash and I wanted to buy a rMB I can't. The only way is to purchase it online with a credit card and thus giving Apple my information.

I won't comment on the screen because I think everyone knows it's drop dead gorgeous . The screen alone is amazing, especially if you do photograph and edit in .raw. I can't wait to watch movies on this thing.

2. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Turn the machine off and try to click the track and see if it "moves" ;)

3. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Re: trackpad. It moves, but it doesn't click. It moves laterally, towards you. Not down.

4. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

If the machine is turned off why would I need to click it? Ha, I know what you mean but to me it doesn't matter. I just noticed the track pad does move. In many reviews the impression I got was the pad does not "click" or "move" at all. The sensor below just "vibrates" the pad.

However, I can literally see the pad move down when I pressed it. I did this for several minutes.

5. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

Thanks for the review.
    I think I'll get easily used to the KB and trackpad.
    It's mostly performance of the 1.1ghz I am interested in. 5 youtubes tabs and office open without lagging sounds promising.
    My heaviest lifting will be iMovie, Sketchup and iWeb so I think I won't get any trouble with the base model.
    But I'll wait for more reviews from people who have tried it.

6. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Today will be my 2nd day playing with it, my friend made me a watch appointment for ***** and giggles. I walked out the first day saying very nice but meh... it felt kind of small. I current use the 13.3" MBPR and MBA. Coming from those you can 100% notice the difference screen wise. The 12" MBR has the footprint of a 11" MBA. Which for me is sort of a problem. My hands completely swallow the 11" MBA. I really appreciate the extra wrist space on the 13.3" models.

Ill grab better pictures today, funny thing i can almost pick it up with my fingers wrapped around it with one hand laying flat. Im not a road warrior, it still feels kinda small to me. And yes at home i do plug my 13.3" MBA into a 23" LED monitor at my desk while i play Xbox. So with the MBR, that would be going sort of ass backwards since i would be not taking advantage of the Retina 100% of the time.

I want in V2 a possible 13.3" model, or a current MBA shell 13.3" with a Retina screen. Thats all i want apple :)

----------

I had to do that yesterday TO ASSURE myself that it was not actually moving lmao. I swear that was the coolest part of playing with it. :cool:

7. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

Yes, the lack of palm/wrist area on my 11" was something I had to get used to. On the 12" it's the same issue.

8. vanimal macrumors 6502a

How long did it take your muscle memory to adjust? And cramping after type for lengthly periods?

9. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Does Tyson's corner have the space grey model on display?

10. vanimal macrumors 6502a

There was a thread on here showing all the stores available. Tysons corner i think said had some on display. Used to do work across the street a few years back in a data center there. Big MONEY out in that area of VA :cool:

11. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've been using the 11" MBA as my main for years now. I have three models. It took me about 3-4 months to get use to positioning my wrist differently. I recall the first time I started using it my palms hurt. The edge of the palm rest would cut into my palm. After long use it was very annoying. However, now I automatically lift my palm up slightly. I never had cramping, just the feeling of the palm being "off" the laptop.

With the rMB it was impossible to tell being I'm standing at 5'10" and the laptop is like below my waist due to the tables! At times I bend down just to get more "comfortable".

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I agree, it is odd. I think most people are guessing that it's only in place during the initial launch, and that stores will eventually be selling these.

FWIW, it's legal for private businesses to not accept cash for goods and services, unless there is a state law that requires it. Here's a link to the Federal Reserve's website that states that.

I think you might be thinking of when Apple didn't accept cash during iPhone/iPad launches. It was this local news coverage going viral (of Apple turning away a disabled lady that wanted to buy an iPad with cash) that got them to reverse that policy.

If someone wanted to pay in cash during the launch phase (where purchases are online only), they could take their $2,000 in cash and buy an Apple Store gift card, which could be used when placing an order online. If they're worried about providing their address info to Apple, they could also have the order shipped to an Apple Store, which would negate that step.

Definitely an inconvenience to just walking in with cash and buying it, but nothing that's insurmountable.

Good review! Thanks for taking the time to visit the store twice, and for summing it all up.

13. Hankster, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

Yes, they have all three colors. In the store to the left. Just looking for the table where no one is standing, haa haa. Honestly, it seems like no one even cares about the rMB which is why I find it odd Apple doesn't have any in stock. All eyes are on the iWatch not the rMB.

This morning after 10 minutes the store had tons of people. There were four people at my table looking at the rMB and about 50+ over on the other side by the iWatch and iPads.

The Tyson's Corner Apple store is a flagship store, and it was the very first Apple store to open - ever. You can almost guarantee this store will always have whatever Apple is selling...which is why I came here for the rMB. And even they don't have it to sell!

14. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLTNfIaL5YI&spfreload=10

Steve would not have approved

15. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

16. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

For OP: Thanks for the review. Looking forward to getting mine on Wednesday. I have already purchased a bluetooth mouse. I never did like trackpads.

17. xPad macrumors regular

The trackpad moves a little, but not as much as it feels like it moves. This is more of a nitpick than a pony actual refutation of anything. And it doesn't click at all, that's entirely a simulation.

As for the cash thing, Apple will carry them in stores. This is just for the launch period. It's the new way going forward and it's a big improvement over the past.

18. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Thanks for the detailed write-up, especially love the little observations that weren't in the reviews. I'd been considering holding off for Skylake but I'm really encouraged by your 5 tab youtube test, on a 1.1GHz model no less, that's exactly the kind of thing I was waiting for. Did you try playing any in 1080p?

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Of course it moves a little otherwise the vibration would transfer over to the chassis. But it does not physically click or depress as much as a regular trackpad. The clicking simulation is very impressive and realistic from my experience. I like the fact that it's a lot quieter than the regular trackpad yet it still has great tactile feedback and easier to "press".

20. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This is perhaps Apple way of side-tracking this rule.

A long time ago I worked in retail, and it's a PAIN accepting cash. You gotta count each transaction, count the whole thing at the beginning of the day and again at the end of the day to consolidate. Touching other people's money which who knows where they've been. Yuk! Gimme a cc any day swipe and yr done!

21. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Are you going to visit it every day? Have you named it yet? :p Of course Apple allows devices to be sold in stores, there are a ton of Apple products in every Apple store right now. Just because you can't get a MacBook in a store the day it SHIPS means nothing. They never said it would be available in store on April 10th. Looks like it will be next week sometime. Not a big deal to the average consumer. The average consumer isn't refreshing the Apple Store at 11:58pm PST nor do they need to purchase a device the minute its available at a store. This looks to be the new model going forward, so people really need to just chill.

22. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

I went back this morning because I live less than five minutes from the store. So, what's it to you if I go back? I wanted to see if they happen to have it for sale today.

If you don't like my comments don't read them.

And, of course Apple sells their products in their stores. Come on if you're going to reply use common sense. However, when the iPhone or iPad launches and the stores have the demos do they have inventory to sell? Yes. Therefore, it is very unusual to "launch" a new MacBook line and have it in the stores yet have none for sale.

23. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Just messing with you. Oh and you DO realize the iPhone and iPad are iOS devices and the MacBook is not right? The iPhone is Apple's bread and butter and sells 10 million in a weekend, this Macbook wont sell that in years. Big difference.

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

In other words, "You're buying it wrong.":rolleyes:

25. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

My only real takeaway was "Why the hell didn't I trust my gut and buy the Space Gray one?" WAY BETTER LOOKING THAN GOLD. WOW.

Attached Files: