DC Rainmaker takes the Apple Watch to 40M (140')

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Julien, May 10, 2015.

1. Julien, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

DC Rainmaker first reviews of the :apple:Watch are up today (he has a lot to go) and he pressurizes it in water to over 40M (140').:eek: This is beyond insane and proof the :apple:Watch and water are not a problem. He also swims laps for 1000m (0.65 miles) in it. There is no doubt [sarcasm] Apple is lying [/sarcasm] :D about how well the :apple:Watch handles water.

DC Rainmaker's :apple:Watch tests

2. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Proving that the watch is more capable than IPX7. Meaning, if it gets water damage, don't count on the warranty covering it. (as they'll know you exceeded it).

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I'm not worried if his warranty is covered. If mine ever gets to 140' and I'm attached to my :apple:Watch then the warranty will be the least of my problems.:D

4. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Heh. There is that.

Apple's said don't swim or shower with it. People should just let it go. :)

5. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

can't wait for his full review! He is about the only one to trust when it comes to legit review now adays.

6. Eorlas macrumors 6502

It never was a lie, it is their safe bet for an exposure to water rating. We already knew the device could exceed that depending on the circumstances.

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Apple set th official standard low so when people go crazy with it and it stops working they wouldn't have to cover it

Don't worry about sweating with it and taking it out in the rain, that's the main point, but if you want to shower with it and swim that's your risk

8. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Smily face = sarcasm.

I'll go back and edit my post for you.;)

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All of those tests appear to be short in duration though. IPX7 is 1 m for 30 min. Take it to 40 m for over 30 min then I'll be more impressed.

10. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

11. Ries macrumors 68000

The watch working after being through the test, does not mean water hasn't entered it. Most of the electronics is encapsulated. If water entered you would properly not know until it started corroding stuff internally in the watch.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

13. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

He also swam laps for almost 30 minutes. In the past you have argued that dynamic swimming would be a lot more of a test than a 1M at 30 minute static IPx7 test (and I agree with that).

Also increasing the pressure to over 40 times the design test is an enormous increase by any measure.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It'd be interesting if someone would take it to a point of failure, then we can see how truly robust it is.

15. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I imagine he will. Take a look at the tests he does. Really great reviews.

16. 418 macrumors member

A lot of reviews are quick to say that Apple has underplayed the watch's water resistance. However, the seals which keep the water out of the watch can/will corrode over time. If I'm not mistaken, exposure to salt/chlorine in water will speed up this process.

Until someone has used the watch for a few months and showered with it and left it on whilst swimming etc. I think it's too early to say it's definitely 'safe' to do anything with it around water.

17. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

He may yet, however if it had failed in the 40M test we would not know if this was good or bad since we would not know what it didn't fail at. We must know what it doesn't fail at and then proceed step by step to failure. However at this point we do now know it doesn't fail at 40M. ;)

----------

We KNOW Tim Cook has been showing with his for several months and I would bet may Apple tester also.

Also synthetic seals generally take years of exposure before significantly degrading.

18. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Several man-minutes is not a full picture of device's durability and potential issues that only time can reveal. Let's see what we'll have after millions of man-years of life testing.

19. 418 macrumors member

I'm not sure we do know that - we know that he has showered with it at some point. Perhaps every day for several month, perhaps just a few times.
    We also don't know that he didn't have one fail on him during that time - I can't imagine he'd tweet about that.
    Finally, even the few months Tim Cook will have had an 'almost production' version for probably isn't as long as most people will expect the watch to last.
    Even if generation 2 is only a year off, I'd rather have a watch which I can take to gym and out in the rain for the duration of that year, rather than a watch I take swimming for three months then have to keep completely dry because moisture started appearing under the screen.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If there's a way to set auto-lock to never, then we can know.

21. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to assume Apple built in a higher waterproof resistance, but are just making this first gen basically a beta test on that higher rating, and in the Watch 2, they'll claim a new feature of being waterproof.

22. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Yes, but the affects of each test would be cumulative. You need to use a different watch for each test.

If you want to see what it's IPX8 rating would be that is...

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, but I was talking about progressively increasing the pressure to the point of failure, not a specific depth for an indicated amount of time (i.e., 30 min).

24. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I hope this means the next ten could have a rating that would allow for swimming with the watch on. I'd love to do it, but I don't want to take the risk with this one.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Where's the risk if they'll replace any water ingress under the standard warranty? They have no way of knowing if you exceeded 1 meter for 30 min.