Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Well, after spending months encoding my DVDs (I have a ton of TV shows) I found that more then half of my videos were encoded interlaced. So, the big question is ... is it possible to de-interlace them after the fact ? I would really rather not go back and re-encode all of them.

I tried searching around, and haven't found anything out there to re-encode it without interlacing. I would prefer a CLI, this way I can write a script to run through all the videos at night or what not.

Any suggestions ?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
You might try one of the video encoders available, such as MPEG Streamclip (free) or VisualHub (shareware). Might be able to re-code your existing rips and de-interlace them (e.g. to 720p). Not sure what the quality would be, or how much faster this would be (if any) than re-encoding from the original.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
You might try one of the video encoders available, such as MPEG Streamclip (free) or VisualHub (shareware). Might be able to re-code your existing rips and de-interlace them (e.g. to 720p). Not sure what the quality would be, or how much faster this would be (if any) than re-encoding from the original.

see, thats the thing, I can think of no reason why these trancoding apps will be able to distinguish if your video has been encoded before. so these kind of re-encoding, IMHO, will only reduce the quality rather than improved it.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
see, thats the thing, I can think of no reason why these trancoding apps will be able to distinguish if your video has been encoded before. so these kind of re-encoding, IMHO, will only reduce the quality rather than improved it.

Maybe, but it's worth a try. If you don't change the resolution (if it's already at 1280x720, for example), the results might not be too bad. Or they may be so poor that re-encoding (re-ripping) is the only way.

The app just takes what you give it (regardless of what the original source may have been), and makes whatever you tell it too. I've used Streamclip a lot, and it works well with many different file types. When you create your output file you get a few de-interlacing options, and then there's 'make progressive' which trumps them all. I think it may be able to produce an acceptable quality progressive file from an existing interlaced rip. Don't know though, haven't tried.

In the end, it's probably worth trying, then deciding if what the best trade off is for quality vs. encoding time vs. ease of use, etc.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
You will have to re-encode either way so you might as well start back at the original source.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Well, after spending months encoding my DVDs (I have a ton of TV shows) I found that more then half of my videos were encoded interlaced. So, the big question is ... is it possible to de-interlace them after the fact ? I would really rather not go back and re-encode all of them.

I tried searching around, and haven't found anything out there to re-encode it without interlacing. I would prefer a CLI, this way I can write a script to run through all the videos at night or what not.

Any suggestions ?

Get the new version of Handbrake, check the "Anamorphic" and "Deinterlacing" options in the "Picture Settings" dialog.

"Anamorphic" should be turned on for all DVDs unless you want to play them on an iPod. For "Deinterlacing" go through the ten or so pictures that the dialog shows and check if any of them has the typical "Mouseteeth". Only turn deinterlacing on for DVDs that need it.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Can't you just go into Quicktime, window, show movie properties, click on video track, and check all those boxes over to the right?

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I guess I should go back and re-encode them all. I have gotten it down to a science so it shouldn't be so bad the 2nd time around.

I was mostly looking for an easy way out, but I don't want to degrade the quality anymore. I encoded everything before my AppleTV and before my HD TV. Some of it looked great at SD, but looks like crap on a 61" 1080p set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.