OS X Dead Island GOTY

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by iSuedhead, Oct 31, 2016.

1. iSuedhead macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any problems playing Dead Island GOTY? I recently downloaded it through the Appstore but the game fails to start. For a moment it looks like the screen is about to change from my desktop to the actual game ... but then nothing happens and it just crashes. When i look at the crash report you can send to Apple, there's no information in it. Just blank.

I'm using a late 2013 iMac (MacOS Sierra) with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB graphics card. All other games (Mad Max, Borderlands, Tomb raider, Shadow of Mordor, Steam games, etc) work as you would expect.

I even downloaded a pirate version of Dead Island and it has the same issues. Is it not compatible with Sierra? or?

Any insights?

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

That's strange for sure. I booted up my copy purchased from Steam yesterday and it played fine.

Late 2012 iMac here, running Sierra with nVidia's web drivers.

3. iSuedhead thread starter macrumors newbie

hi,

Thank you for taking your time to reply. I figured it out, apparently it is a Game Center issue. I have to go to Internet Accounts (system prefs) and disable Game Center, after that the game starts up without a hitch. Unfortunately, for some reason, when Game Center has been disabled in 'Internet Accounts', something is forcing new Game Center accounts into my 'Internet Accounts' ... so I end up with one (or more) 'inactive' Game Center account(s) and an active one.

It does give me the option to close down Game Center on all my devices, but i have no idea whether that's a smart thing to do, or not.

edit: after that >>THE<< game starts ...

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not gaming much on OSX (Yosimite) so I never see Game Center there and on my iPad despite having several games I play, Game Center never seems to get my in the way nor does it launch. For example, I play Soduku and Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle. Even when I played Hearthstone, GC stayed away. These games are not multiplayer in a typical sense, although Hearthstone you are directly playing someone. I wonder what triggers Game Center to activate?

Found this interesting article from 2015: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7221028?start=0&tstart=0

5. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I don't see any Dead Island game on steam for Mac ?

6. Irishman macrumors 68030

It may not be the GOTY version, but that's where I bought it from.

7. Stevec17 macrumors newbie

8. Stevec17 macrumors newbie

Hi ,i also bought Dead Island Goty for Mac OSX on App Store,and i get same **** of you, the game doesnt start and just get me a window saying something like Dead Island had to close...,well same message as you were saying anyway :) . I tried your thing, desactivating Game Center, and yes it work,so we can play alone, but if w wanna play online (internet) it says you need a account Game Center....so if i reactivate the Game Center the game still dont open. Have you been able to find to way to be able to play online? This is really frustrating, buying a game from App Store and cant even play it. Thanks for your answer

9. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I got my copy from the App Store and runs OK, strange.

10. Stevec17 macrumors newbie

Got my copy from App Store too of course, cause Steam doesnt offer yet a version of Dead Island for Mac OSX.... Neither yet Left 4 dead, what that was the first game i wanted. Anyway, like was saying i bought Dead Island Goty from App Store, and only way to make it start, was to desactivate Game Center, the suggestion told. And now the game work fine if i play it alone, but if i wanna play it online, i need to get a Game Center account active, so here's the loopo grrrrrr That really sucks, paying for a game that supposed to work and doesnt work properly, im far to the next time to download something else from App Store