Dead Mac, new logic board, same problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rzack, Aug 13, 2012.

1. rzack macrumors newbie

I received a MacBook Pro 2011 15" from a friend who spilled a glass of water on it. When the computer would be plugged in the status light would come on as if it were booting up and the fans would come on for two seconds, then it would turn off and the fans would stop then it would immediately turn on again and the light would be on for two seconds then it would die and it would repeat like this indefinitely. After some searching online I found one old forum with a post that said it was caused by a short in the logic board.
    So I purchased a new board that arrived today and I replaced the old one with it, when I got everything back together and plugged it in I was sad to see that the same thing was happening with the new board! The replacement logic board was bare bones, I had to transfer the heat sync and all. I thought maybe the problem was being caused by the little power board that the MagSafe plugs into, so I got out my 2009 MacBook Pro 15" and swapped out that little board, but the problem was the same and the computer wouldn't boot up. Is it possible this board has the same problem and I should send it back? Or is there some other component in the laptop that is causing it?

Thanks in advance,
    Ray

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You also have to take into account other components that might be damaged such as the power parts, the battery (unlikely but plausible) and any connectors to the display. Any water that gets into these connectors will short out your Mac.

Use bags of rice (or just rice on top of everything) to dry out and suck moisture out. Rice should be left for more than 2 days. If problems still persist contact the seller of the main board. You might have a defective one, but there is no way to know for sure.

3. rzack thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer sat disassembled with the logic board out for three weeks while I was away so any water is long gone. Are there any components that I can disconnect and still run the computer?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That doesn't really account for the time between you receiving the computer and dissembling it and using it after the water was spilled on it (and was used as well prior to being dissembled?). Additionally, it's not like the logic board is the only component that could be fried by this, it's likely spread to other areas and has corroded something in there.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Have you tried running it without the battery?

6. wootdawg macrumors newbie

First, if you haven't already, try some known good memory in the system. Failing that, I would disconnect all internal connections, except display, magsafe power board, and the fans, and then try powering it up with just the power adapter by shorting the power on pads above the keyboard connector. If it turns on, displays video, and doesn't shut off, you probably have an issue with an internal device. If it still acts up, then I would suspect the logic board.

7. rzack thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer tries to boot up as soon as I plug it in, maybe the previous owner had it set to boot up after a power fail? I put in RAM that I knew was good but it didn't make a difference and I tested the RAM that was in the computer in another and it worked fine. When I unplug the battery it won't even attempt to boot up.
    I can unplug absolutely everything from the board except the battery, power and the fans and the computer will still turn on, the light goes on for two seconds and the fan spins up, then, as if it loses power, the light goes out and the fans lose power, then it regains power and the light goes back on and this continues over and over until the power cord is disconnected.

8. wootdawg macrumors newbie

It sounds like the board you got has an issue, since it will not power when using the power adapter, even with your known good magsafe board and with all other devices disconnected. Was this a new or used part? If you have any recourse or return/exchange policy on it, I would try to get a refund/replacement. Maybe your part was damaged in shipping or is simply defective...hard to say. Best wishes.