Dead MacBook Pro Fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pandorica, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Pandorica macrumors newbie

Well to be accurate one is totally dead the other one is wheezing its last.
    I bought 2 fans online only to take them to the Genius Bar and find out they won't install fan that aren't from them. I called around to a bunch of computer stores in my area and none of them have any experience with Mac's or if they did they wanted to charge an arm and a leg. In most cases like 3 times what I paid for the fans. One guy at Best Buy/Geek Squad said he'd do it for 50 bucks a fan. But when I went back a different staff member said not only does no one there know how to do it but I was grossly under-quoted.

*Sigh* So I returned the fans, got my money back and it looks like its back to the genius bar. I've seen people install the fans on Youtube, but with one of them being that close to the logic board I'd sooner tamper with my own DNA than attempt this myself.

So, my question is how much can I expect to pay for this? Two fans replaced and installed.

Thanks in advance.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Didn't they give you a quote?

I totally would have replaced them myself.

3. Pandorica thread starter macrumors newbie

She seemed both new and frazzeled, she did not give me a quote, the store was packed and she just kinda wandered away. And the truth is after the Geek Squad one-person-says-one-thing-another-guy-then-denies-it, I don't know that I'd believe it anyways. I'd rather here from someone on here who's actually paid for the repair or knows someone who has.

And as for doing it myself, I'm not cracking open my own computer, never gonna happen. Even the IT guy at work wouldn't touch it...

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Typical shop rates are $75 an hour, so $50 isn't out of line. The labour is the labour regardless of how little you paid for the fans.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

It's really not that hard. I replaced my hard drive a year ago... piece of cake.

Personally, i wouldn't let the Geek Squad touch any of my stuff. Sorry, don't know how much Apple will charge you. You could probably just call the store right now and ask.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The fans are very easy to replace...remove a few screws and unplug. Either do it yourself or be prepared to pay...a lot.

7. Pandorica thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if any of you guys lived around here, I'd ask you to do it. But as it is, this is PC country, and I personally ain't touching it, so I just want to know how much "a lot" is.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Which fans of the MacBook Pro are dead? Did someone kill them because they prefer Apple products? Were they members of MRForums? I guess that's fewer people who will be waiting for a refresh! :D (sorry, I couldn't resist! the thread title just got me!)

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Macs are far easier to work on then any hp, compaq, dell...Last Compaq I took apart took about 30 screws to get the bottom off and I had to tear the whole thing apart to change the charging plug. A mac is 10 screws and you have access to everything.

10. Pandorica thread starter macrumors newbie

Already returned the fans so DIY is moot at this point.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well if DIY is moot, guess you're going to Apple so really no reason for this thread in the first place.

13. Pandorica thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the point of the thread was that I was asking if anyone could ballpark the price for me, that's all. I said, clear as day, I was not going to do this myself, I had no interest in doing it myself. I wasn't looking for instructions, or encouragement or schematics. I wanted a price. The only one who came close to even answering my question was CanadaRam.

Now while I appreciate all the "You can do it cheers", that's not what I wanted, yet when I press a bit for an answer to what I actually asked people get snippy. I understand if you don't know how much it costs, I was just wondering if someone somewhere did. I think its pretty common practice to do a price search or query before you go in for a repair on anything and since Apple doesn't list that kind of thing, I figured I'd ask some fellow Mac users who might help. All you had to do was say; I don't know or just not answer.

So much for that.

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its Apple and no computer labor is cheap. I personally think you should learn to do it yourself, its very rewarding.

15. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

mbp fans are really easy to fix, its a 15 mins job.