Dead or Stuck Pixel?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robertkj, Oct 22, 2008.

1. robertkj macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Aluminum macbook last Sunday, and noticed today that their is a little black dot on my screen next to the green minimize - maximize button. :( What should I do? :confused:

I know it's one pixel but every time I have a folder open, my eyes are drawn to it. If I take it back to the apple Store with they replace my macbook> I would think that since your paying so much your laptop, it should be perfect, right? Besides the pixel, my macbook is perfect.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated..

2. John585 macrumors member

I"m in the same boat as you but mine is in the middle and to the left of my screen. I called the apple store and they said in order to get the screen replaced, you have to have more than one dead pixel. :mad: Also the function keys on my keyboard don't line up with the rest of the keys.

3. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I have had dead pixels on 2 laptops so far. The first one had a couple. The 2nd had one. I returned both. I dont think any dead pixels are acceptable. I wonder how many dead pixels are out there and if people notice.

Mine were most noticeable on a full white screen. They looked like stuck red pixels if I had to describe them.

4. robertkj thread starter macrumors newbie

I just restarted my mac, and when it starts up their is a white screen, and I looked to see any other dead pixels and found quite a few.:( I plan on exchanging it now, with more then one dead pixel.

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I really hope Apple takes it back easily, and I don't have to make a scene since I think my Macbook should be perfect.

5. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Apple is pretty good about it the first two times. After that they start to have an issue. At that point return for a full refund. The LED LCD screens (IMHO) leave much to be desired at this point.

I can understand a dead pixel on a 32" tv because it is not noticeable from normal viewing distance, but they are very noticeable on a 13.3" laptop screen.

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I just found one on my new MacBook as well. It was a replacement for my old white one that kept breaking, so I'm not sure I want to push my luck in asking for a replacement. :S

7. ocva macrumors newbie

ocva

Just wanted to chime in here... add me to the dead/stuck pixel club! I received my MB on Monday, and noticed right away that there was a stuck (red/blue) pixel pretty much right smack in my eye line. I tried to "massage" it out using a couple of those java script things, but so far, nothing has worked.

8. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I've got a dead pixel about three inches to the lower right of the center of the screen. I'm debating on asking for an exchange. I'm scared of getting something worse!

9. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

id return for a dead pixel. I would not return for slanted keys especially if you have a perfect screen.

10. Pieface macrumors newbie

Just found 4!!! Dead Pixels, heading back to the Apple Store next week for a new one.

11. 199708 macrumors 6502

what can you do to increase the dead pixel count if you have only one?, wrap a towel around it?
    I really hope i don't get any dead pixels. like i have on my previous 2 laptops.

12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'd return a Macbook with even one defective pixel, and have done successfully in the past (PowerBook). This why we pay more for a premium product, right?

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

LOL...I think some people had no problem until they read your post. I guess its an 'ignorance is bliss' type thing...they then read an OMG post and get their world rocked.

For the guy that found four dead pixels at the same time...did you just open the box for the first time or something? Other than that, I doubt all those pixels went dead at the same time. I'd expect you'd find that many over time, if anything. Either your definition of dead pixels is bad or your eyesight is bad.

14. hazoomeh macrumors member

Mine will arrive today from JR online. If it's got pixel issues can I still take it to an apple store?

15. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Yep.

16. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I believe almost every computer manufacturer has a pixel policy. I'm pretty sure Apple does too. If your product defect was accepted, it was because your issue fell into the defective criteria or because the person you returned it to was generous. If you returned your Powerbook because of one dead pixel, you got off extremely lucky.

I don't believe you're paying more for a premium product when it relates to functional pixels. That's a technology problem, not a manufacturing problem.

17. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

My PowerBook had one stuck red pixel in the centre of the screen and I insisted on a replacement; that one also had a stuck pixel so that was replaced as well. I really couldn't give a stuff about policies - I'm a graphics pro who paid £2k for a pro computer and it should be right. As it happened, Apple agreed. Let's hope they're as understanding if my next purchase is defective (see sig) ;)

18. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Most companies have a dead pixel policy, but usually will replace for 1 dead pixel. Ive owned over 10 Apple laptops and have not had a dead pixel on any with the exception of the new Macbook. Im not saying dead pixels werent on previous models but it sure seems like there is an increase on the new computers. (Again nothing scientific, but just my personal experience)

19. ocva macrumors newbie

ocva

Argh, now I'm not sure what I want to do. This particular pixel isn't terribly big. But it is almost directly in my line of sight, and it's easy to see when the background is lighter. I'm not a big returner. But I am kind of OCD about my electronics... and having something as crucial as the SCREEN have even a small problem kind of makes me antsy :eek:

20. robertkj thread starter macrumors newbie

I've decided to keep my Macbook, even though it has a dead pixel. After thinking about it, one pixel is not that big of deal, and I don't want to risk getting a Macbook with other problems if I exchange it.

21. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I decided to try my 4th Macbook. No scratches or dents but of course a red stuck pixel dead center of the screen. Very disappointed.

22. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Apple's replacing my MacBook because of dust behind the glass. Some of you claiming dead pixels may wish to verify this is not what it is. Dust behind the glass is completely unacceptable as it is manufacturing negligence, not a defect of the LCD.

(I also had the slanted F keys, but I can deal with those)

23. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

mines definitely a stuck red pixel. I bought this one at best buy. 3/4 had dead pixels. The only good screen had 2 scratches and 1 dent on the top cover. I really want a Macbook but this is amazing. I'm going to try to see if I notice it in real world use but once you see it it's hard not to notice it.

24. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Thankfully, there are ways to correct stuck pixels. There are no ways to correct dead pixels.

25. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I've never been able to fix a dead pixel. I've used prpgrams and the massage method but I will try on this one.