Dead Pixel - grounds for return?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nausia, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Nausia macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently bought an ipod touch and realised directly after opening it that one of the pixels was dead... i.e. a white dot in the centre of the screen, which can be suprisingly irritating when watching videos.

Do you think this is a suitable reason for returnal? In other words, will Argos simply tell me I'm being fussy? I wouldn't want a refund, but would exchange it for a new iPod.

Does this happen often? I've seen it mentioned often on forums and help sites. Am I just being fussy, or should this be classsed as a genuine manufacturer fault?

Thanks,

G

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

A certain number of dead pixels is acceptable (maybe not to you, but the manufacturer :( ), but that number is about two per million pixels. Since the iPhone only has about 160,000 pixels, about 1/3rd of a dead pixel would be acceptable ;) So I am quite sure that Apple should replace it.

3. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

I had two dead pixels on my week 40 and I exchanged it without a problem. Granted, I bought it at a FutureShop here in Canada. I say definitely try to exchange it.

4. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

Places like Best Buy are very lenient when it comes to returns. Apple on the other hand is more tough. You have nothing to lose from trying.

5. chrismball macrumors newbie

If you only have 1 dead pixel I'd recommend keeping the ipod. You could end up getting a replacement with far more dead/stuck pixels - it happened to me. My first ipod had dozens of stuck, my replacement still has about a dozen white pixels.

6. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I can only see my dead pixels when I run the dead pixel test.

Watching regular videos I don't notice any. That should be the barometer that you use to see if you should return it. If you notice it during normal viewing you should ask for another. If instead you discover that you have one but you can't tell during normal viewing, keep it. You could go through 10 Ipods and never find a perfect one. You should be looking for one that doesn't interfere with the viewing experience.

Just my $.02

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'm almost there...this week I'm going in for #8!

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Yes, no question about it. Return it and don't accept a less than perfect product.

9. Nausia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responses.

Will be taking it back today- because, yes, it does interfere with viewing videos. If the new one is even worse, I will just have to keep returning until I find one that's actually worth paying £200 for...

Only problem now is that I have to find the receipt, which could be anywhere in my messy room; but I've heard Argos have to accept exchanges for faulty products by law, even without a receipt.

G

10. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Argos probably won't fuss. My suggestion is you ask them on the policy first, if they say the wont exchange, return in the afternoon after a shift change and tell them it wont boot. Argos do not test products, they will simply ship them off, and maybe look inside the box (i'm serious).

Also, I believe they will exchange without a receipt, but not refund.

11. Nausia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tom, that's really helpful. What should i ask them about their policy? Just general stuff, or anything in particular?

Will be taking it back later today - I figure it's worth a try - I have nothing to lose.

I'm only looking for an exchange - I don't want to return it, because I'm happy with everything else about the iPod - I just don't think I should pay that amount of money, and then receive a permenant white dot in the middle of the display.

G

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The law merely requires proof of purchase not a receipt. If you paid for it by credit card a phone call to the CC company or (if you have it) a bill would be fine.

A box with an argos stock code on it is good enough too I reckon.

They'll probably replace rather than refund but in theory you can have either.

13. Nausia thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. I paid with cash

14. Nausia thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it back to Argos, without the receipt, and they had a bit of a moan about it - but I eventually managed to get somewhere with them. They were unwilling to replace it in-store, but they are sending it off to Apple for me, who will apparantly either refurbish it or send me a new one.

Thanks for the help everyone :-D

G

15. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

16. Nausia thread starter macrumors newbie

I just said on the post above yours, didn't I? :confused:

G

17. nigetheman22 macrumors newbie

Did you purchase a product service plan? Mine is showing dead pixels within like a day of getting it but I did not get the product service plan

18. joseph87 macrumors member

joseph87

About two weeks ago I found one dead pixel, currently I can see 5. Do drops affect dead pixels? I have only dropped it once and that one time was definitely a "rough" drop. I just bought apple care for it since it was real cheap on ebay just in case I return it and have future problems down the road.

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If it's a single dead pixel I honestly doubt Apple techs will do anything. Just because they told you in store that you'll get a refurb or new one doesn't necessarily mean that will happen - for example, if you use Apple's service website to organise sending your iPod in, it will automatically say "iPod pending replacement", yet in various cases Apple have sent the original back because there isn't really a problem with it.

I'd be careful - dead/stuck pixels happen on LCD screens whether you like it or not, it's not just restricted to iPods. I've only ever had one iPod that has NOT had any sort of stuck or dead pixel. So be warned, if you do get a replacement iPod, that could very well have even more dead pixels.

20. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

Information

I have a friend who works for Argos; I'll ask him about the returns policy and edit this post. Good luck with the pixel!