Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Dead pixel on iPhone4

nelly41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
I just got this yesterday. I haven't seen it before until last night. I'm going to contact applecare, I just don't know when. Would I get a refurb?

nelly41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9BFxnPaKI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMySLZkF5o

Try those? If they don't work, just go to the Apple store. The 'Genius' should replace it for you and give you a new (not refurbished) phone. I'd avoid AppleCare, only because I know they'd end up telling me the same thing.

P.S. Open those links on you phone.

Thanks for the links. I'll try it out. I hope it works. I would hate to have to replace the phone especially with my screen shield, side skins, and back skin on. lol.

Comment

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not to be the correction police but this is a common misconception.

Dead Pixel=black or no light output (you will need a white background to clearly see a dead pixel).

Stuck On Pixel=stuck displaying it's color all the time (red, green or blue).

This is a stuck on red pixel. Also stuck on are far more common than dead.

Comment

Imperatore

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
When I have a black background I noticed 2 pixels stuck on white, what does that mean?

Comment

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
When I have a black background I noticed 2 pixels stuck on white, what does that mean?

What black background are you using? It might just be that wallpaper or image has 2 white dots on it. I'm not sure if a stuck pixel can be white. Maybe.

Comment

Imperatore

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
What black background are you using? It might just be that wallpaper or image has 2 white dots on it. I'm not sure if a stuck pixel can be white. Maybe.

Ah yes I think you're right. I was playing Zenonia and noticed two white pixels but when I put it on a plain black wallpaper I cannot see them. My bad.

Comment

nelly41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
No luck...

Well I tried it out last night, today at work, and now. Still nothing. Damn red pixel won't change to anything else.

Comment

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Don't mess with AppleCare. Go to the store and they'll give you an exchange. I had a dead pixel (which is not what you have) and walked out with a new phone in a few minutes. I don't know if they have iP4 refurbs yet.

Comment

klitorisaurus

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
You would have to have all 3 (RGB) pixels in the same cluster to be stuck on to produce white (this would be extremely rare).;)
Well I must be extra lucky then because I had a stuck white pixel! I returned it and they had no problem swapping out a new one... I kinda wish I would've held on to it until I got a few major scratches though. The pixel didn't bother me and it would have been a guaranteed replacement.

With my luck I'd shatter the screen and void the warranty though.

Comment

CashDude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
There is some super-fast rainbow pattern thing you can run on it for 30 minutes in an attempt to "unstick" the pixel. Do a search for iPhone pixel repair or something like that. You might as well try it before returning it. Just don't watch it too long or you might have a seizure :D

Comment

nelly41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
There is some super-fast rainbow pattern thing you can run on it for 30 minutes in an attempt to "unstick" the pixel. Do a search for iPhone pixel repair or something like that. You might as well try it before returning it. Just don't watch it too long or you might have a seizure :D

I tried it for over 45 mins last night. Still didn't work. Just gonna make an appointment with genius then. Damn....

Comment

themadrussian

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
You would have to have all 3 (RGB) pixels in the same cluster to be stuck on to produce white (this would be extremely rare).;)

My first IP4 had a pixel at the very bottom that was stuck on white. Very noticeable when turning the phone on, as the entire screen is black except for the Apple logo (and in my case, one pixel at the bottom of the display).

I got it replaced not for the pixel but because it had a very bad rattle in the camera. You should get a replacement phone from the Apple Store. Schedule a Genius Bar appointment and you should be fine.

Comment

CaCohen0509

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
I have the same exact problem! It's really obnoxious, in going to bring my phone in tomorrow for an exchange

Comment

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
Thanks for the links. I'll try it out. I hope it works. I would hate to have to replace the phone especially with my screen shield, side skins, and back skin on. lol.

Where did you get your skins from? Some companies like Wrapsol will issue you warranty replacements if you have to turn in your phone because it had problems. So consult the warranty of whatever manufacturer you purchased the films from ;)

Comment

drew0020

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2006
I have dust in my screen as well. I got a replacement and this one is even worse. I thought dust wouldn't be a problem with the way the new screen was fused.

Again Apples quality control is still terrible :(

Comment

kylebc86

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
Manchester, UK
I have the same exact problem! It's really obnoxious, in going to bring my phone in tomorrow for an exchange

Did you get a replacement? Do Apple have a requirement for the number of dead pixels before they'll replace it? I have a few dead pixels and am thinking of going to the genius bar for a replacement.

Comment

buc

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I have one dead pixel. I'd say though it appears to be much harder to see than a stuck pixel based on these pictures. I can't even really see it when holding it in the natural position. I have to take my glasses off and stick the thing about an inch from my eyeball to see it.

so...i'll just keep it. I'm surprised Apple is replacing phones for one dead pixel...very very hard to see it and you'd never notice it in normal every day use.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.