Dead pixel on iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nelly41, Jul 28, 2010.

1. nelly41 macrumors regular

I just got this yesterday. I haven't seen it before until last night. I'm going to contact applecare, I just don't know when. Would I get a refurb?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BudgetBaby macrumors member

Try shutting down and then restarting the phone.

3. MicroApple macrumors regular

Should get it quick as I believe they don't have refurbs yet.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

5. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the links. I'll try it out. I hope it works. I would hate to have to replace the phone especially with my screen shield, side skins, and back skin on. lol.

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Make sure you play it in landscape mode with the screen enlarged.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not to be the correction police but this is a common misconception.

Dead Pixel=black or no light output (you will need a white background to clearly see a dead pixel).

Stuck On Pixel=stuck displaying it's color all the time (red, green or blue).

This is a stuck on red pixel. Also stuck on are far more common than dead.

8. Imperatore macrumors newbie

When I have a black background I noticed 2 pixels stuck on white, what does that mean?

9. MicroApple macrumors regular

What black background are you using? It might just be that wallpaper or image has 2 white dots on it. I'm not sure if a stuck pixel can be white. Maybe.

10. Imperatore macrumors newbie

Ah yes I think you're right. I was playing Zenonia and noticed two white pixels but when I put it on a plain black wallpaper I cannot see them. My bad.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You would have to have all 3 (RGB) pixels in the same cluster to be stuck on to produce white (this would be extremely rare).;)

12. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

No luck...

Well I tried it out last night, today at work, and now. Still nothing. Damn red pixel won't change to anything else.

13. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'd just return it. You're justified in doing so, it'd annoy the hell out of most of us. A perfect screen with this retina display, but you're eyes drifting to that darn speck.

14. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Don't mess with AppleCare. Go to the store and they'll give you an exchange. I had a dead pixel (which is not what you have) and walked out with a new phone in a few minutes. I don't know if they have iP4 refurbs yet.

15. klitorisaurus macrumors member

Well I must be extra lucky then because I had a stuck white pixel! I returned it and they had no problem swapping out a new one... I kinda wish I would've held on to it until I got a few major scratches though. The pixel didn't bother me and it would have been a guaranteed replacement.

With my luck I'd shatter the screen and void the warranty though.

16. CashDude macrumors regular

There is some super-fast rainbow pattern thing you can run on it for 30 minutes in an attempt to "unstick" the pixel. Do a search for iPhone pixel repair or something like that. You might as well try it before returning it. Just don't watch it too long or you might have a seizure :D

17. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried it for over 45 mins last night. Still didn't work. Just gonna make an appointment with genius then. Damn....

18. themadrussian macrumors regular

My first IP4 had a pixel at the very bottom that was stuck on white. Very noticeable when turning the phone on, as the entire screen is black except for the Apple logo (and in my case, one pixel at the bottom of the display).

I got it replaced not for the pixel but because it had a very bad rattle in the camera. You should get a replacement phone from the Apple Store. Schedule a Genius Bar appointment and you should be fine.

19. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

I have the same exact problem! It's really obnoxious, in going to bring my phone in tomorrow for an exchange

20. JediMeister macrumors 68040

21. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

I have one stuck on white, or it's a dust speck behind the screen...
    Just to lazy to go back into the store, lol.

22. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Where did you get your skins from? Some companies like Wrapsol will issue you warranty replacements if you have to turn in your phone because it had problems. So consult the warranty of whatever manufacturer you purchased the films from ;)

23. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I have dust in my screen as well. I got a replacement and this one is even worse. I thought dust wouldn't be a problem with the way the new screen was fused.

Again Apples quality control is still terrible :(

24. kylebc86 macrumors newbie

Did you get a replacement? Do Apple have a requirement for the number of dead pixels before they'll replace it? I have a few dead pixels and am thinking of going to the genius bar for a replacement.

25. buc macrumors member

I have one dead pixel. I'd say though it appears to be much harder to see than a stuck pixel based on these pictures. I can't even really see it when holding it in the natural position. I have to take my glasses off and stick the thing about an inch from my eyeball to see it.

so...i'll just keep it. I'm surprised Apple is replacing phones for one dead pixel...very very hard to see it and you'd never notice it in normal every day use.