Dead pixel on new 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NeonBible, Apr 11, 2013.

1. NeonBible macrumors member

I received my new 27" iMac late 2012 on Monday, and noticed a dead pixel very soon when I sat on Facebook. It was on the top right corner, so I tried to convince myself that one dead pixel is nothing to worry about. But when you first have noticed it, it's kind of impossible to ignore it, so I called for a replace — which I'll get forthcoming Monday. So, meanwhile, I've been thinking: Are chances bigger to get yet a screen with pixel faults or are most of the iMacs pixel perfect? How many of you have received a pixel perfect iMac, and how many have not? Am I a douche for replacing a fine device with only one dead pixel?

I paid 2600 USD for it, and that's a lot of money for a student. Therefore I truly want a pixel perfect screen because I do a lot of webdesign, illustrating/working with photos in Photoshop.

What are your thoughts?

2. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I've never had any dead pixels on mine (late 2011 21.5 inch) but I have had to replace the display and am about to have to again.

At first the display would not wake up from sleep, and had to be replaced. Now it has what look like smears behind the glass in the upper corners. I believe these are actually burn marks, as the machine only runs hot in the upper corners.

From all the research I've done, it is very much a crap shoot with iMac displays. If it's from LG, you're likely going to run in to problems.

3. Blue604 macrumors regular

Of course you want a perfect screen. One dead pixel is not acceptable.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Technically it is, but since the op is within his return period, he can return it and get another one quite easily :)

Just call apple and swap it. If they say no, return it for a refund and buy another one (But I very much doubt they will).

5. NeonBible thread starter macrumors member

I don't know why, but I've always been very unlucky with my screens. I rarely get a perfect screen, and I somehow knew this would happen. It seems like the chances to get a screen with pixel faults are as big — if not bigger — than getting a pixel perfect screen when the resolution is so high?

6. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

The larger the display the more chances of having dead or stuck pixels. its part of the tech inside the lcd/leds.
    i think one pixel is tolerable if its not dead center, especially if you do production work.
    but if youre not using it for non-production work honestly its not that big of a deal.

Ive had perfect 27-inch displays and ones with dead or stuck pixels to the side of the display and its like okay whatever throw on a wallpaper do what you need to and its not a big deal.

7. elixe. macrumors member

elixe.

when i first picked up my imac 27" i had a line of dead pixel's straight down the middle of the screen, i started up the next one in store before i left after that.

8. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

isn't apples dead pixel return item thingy like 10 dead pixels or more but they still do it with 1 if you have a dead pixel?

9. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I received a perfect display in my 27" iMac. No dead/stuck pixels, nothing stuck behind the glass and no yellowing or dark smudges. Hot dusty Australia can't be the best conditions for it either so I'm pretty happy.

Frankly, with over 11,000,000 sub-pixels in a 27" display I'm amazed they don't come with hundreds of dead pixels.

10. Blue604 macrumors regular

everyone's perception is different. I had to exchanged 15" rMBP because of 1 red dead pixel. it's small, but i can see it clearly.

11. dazed macrumors 6502a

If you dont return it you will forever be looking at it.

I've had several apple products which had iffy pixels, I always return them. Why pay all that money for something with problems.

12. Serban Suspended

i think is better to have a CTO instead of default one, i think they check it before they deliver.

13. darksource666 macrumors newbie

I've never had dead pixel with my mac. I think this falls under the "Unexpected error" category of all hardware manufacturers.

Technology, as a whole, has the tenancy to stuff-up. Nobody knows why, but it does.

14. spolen23 macrumors newbie

Kkjjjjjjjlacetrrtyrrtffddtttrrterrsdsszt,khjhvnbadddrseeesrrtyttyffrdxdxccxrsdswssazawrwdsaaasssssuyijkkjjhhbdaaxeeeessdedsesrdererrdrrddddeersssrd

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Manufacturers seem to have policies that allow dead pixels (although I know that the "UltraSharp" Dell monitors have a no dead pixel policy). In practice dead pixels are rare and exchanges seem always possible. That said, over the years I've purchased 8 flat panel monitors, 5 iMacs, 2 non-Apple notebooks, 5 Apple notebooks, and 6 iOS devices and have only had one bad pixel (a dark one I simply ignored) in the bunch.

16. anodibu macrumors newbie

My late 2012 27" iMac also arrived last monday and it too has a bad pixel, on mine it's in the lower right corner. Since it is a dark pixel which I don't notice at normal viewing distance and the rest of the iMac is faultless I've decided to keep it.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Mine is perfect (21") but if it wasn't it would have been straight back.

NEC have a zero pixel defect for the first six months if you buy a Spectraview Reference model (in the UK anyhow).
    Most manufactures have a number of dead pixels or sub pixels they consider to be within tolerance depending on screen size. The bigger it is the more you can have (especially sub pixels).

18. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if you are unhappy with it the first day you open it you can pretty much guarantee that 6 months from now you will still be unhappy with it. basically every time you notice it.

19. macalec macrumors 6502

I would just return it at this point, you could have them service you out a new display, but its better to just get a new system since it is so new.

20. cadillac macrumors newbie

a little frustrated...

I also had a dead pixel problem with the new iMac 27. About 2 weeks after setting it up new, noticed about 5 dead pixels in a group on the display; a pretty noticeable black mark. Paid over 2500 for this computer and waited months to receive it. I bought applecare with it. Apple store agreed to repair but will have to order the parts before starting the work. Until then Ill be without the machine. I hope I didn't spend alot of $$ on a lemon.

21. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

They should let you keep the machine until the parts come in. At least the Apple Store did that for me when I asked when they replaced the flakey keyboard on my MBP.

22. ihzrrz6 macrumors newbie

happened to me

1/6 of my screens pixels dont work dont kno how to get it fixed since i moved to dubai please help

23. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Keep exchanging until you have a perfect machine within the return period / warranty period. Don't settle for anything less. It's a premium machine at a premium price and should function and look exactly as that.

EDIT - just saw that this is an old thread

24. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

According to several Apple reps I talked to, it actually isn't anymore.

25. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

One person who says "I got a pixel perfect screen" may not be looking as closely as another who notices the dead pixel.

There is much confusion surrounding something like this because people have the same definition of "dead pixel" but nobody is taking into account differences in attentiveness or intensity of inspection between people.

There are no screens out there that would appear to have any problems to average people who don't inspect them closely. There are thousands of iMac owners out there who have dead pixels but would report that they don't.