Dead Pixel

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by docprego, Apr 10, 2008.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

I have bought 2 8GB iPod Touches over the last week. Both have had a single dead pixel. To some it may be no issue, to me it is all I can look at. Do I dare try a third?

BTW both were thankfully bought at Sam's Club (2 different locations). Both in the John Lennon box. The first came with software version 1.1.3, the second 1.1.4.

Is this a common issue on the iPod Touch or am I just unbelievably unlucky?

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

STOP while you're ahead and stop trying. They all have them. Trust me, I've been through more than you can count on 2 hands....

3. Resist macrumors 68030

Any product using an LCD display will most likely have at least one dead pixel, it is just part of the technology. A certain number of dead pixels is even considered acceptable by quality control standards.

4. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

My brand new 16GB has what appears to be a stuck 'whitish' pixel. I've tried to unstick it but no avail. As queshy says 'STOP while you're ahead', the things always tend to have a least one busted pixel. If you send it back you may end up with a model with even more pixel problems!

5. henchosbandito macrumors member

it seems to be a complete lottery. I have bought 2 16gb Touchs (dont worry im not greedy, one was for my sister) and both screens are perfect. I seriously doubt this, and my presumption is purely based on my lack of knowledge of LCD screens, but i would spend the little extra money and get the larger size and see if there are any pixles on one of those :D

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Sometimes you may see what kind of resembles glitter on the screen when really it's the backlight shining through from in between 2 pixels. I can safely say that I have zero dead pixels and I'm glad, but if you're really worried about it, you can try a 3rd iPod touch.

7. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I'm one of the few people, that I know with iPod touches, without dead/stuck pixels. However, my screen got scratched :(

8. henchosbandito macrumors member

That sucks, were't you using any sort of protection? i used to have a full on plastic case but now have downscaled to just a crystal protection film. I would be well gutted though. How did you do it?

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I've heard a lot of people saying how they have none, but I'd have to see it to believe it. To this date, I still haven't seen a perfect screen, and I've seen a LOT of iPod touches.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Mine doesn't have any dead pixels, my first one did. I have done many tests to make sure that it is dead pixel free. They are out there and it is NOT impossible to get one without a dead pixel. Stop.

11. Grafted macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbxpSwDetk

So this isnt real?

12. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

It's sort of real but the iPod touch is NOT scratch proof. He isn't really trying to scratch it. He is lightly brushing the screen.

So, yes. The iPod Touch can scratch.

I scratched my iPod touch on the one day I took off my plastic cover protector due to the nasty fuzz and such that was underneath it. I had it off for about 3 hours and I put it in my backpack in my locker. It wasn't moving! When I took it out of the pocket on the side, I saw a scratch right in the middle of my Videos icon. I was really pissed. Oh well though. I lived :/

13. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

if it bothers you that much, get a new one, open it at the store, and check it for dead pixels

14. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly what I am going to do. BTW as I was erasing it just before I was on the way to return the 2nd iPod Touch, I noticed a 2nd dead pixel.

I don't care what anyone thinks, to me a single dead pixel on any device is unacceptable. I mean I don't get to decide that I will pay $20 less for the unit just because it is my policy. Therefore nothing less than a 0 dead pixel policy is reasonable to me.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, good luck finding a company that will have meet your expectations and constantly let you exchange your open normal and fucntioning products for brand new ones...

Yes, dead pixels suck. But if you're on the lookout for them, it'll take a long time to be happy as it'll be a long hunt to find a perfect screen.

16. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I completely disagree. EVERY product I have ever purchased from a retailer has had to live up to this expectation. Many times there are no dead pixels, but when there are I have always been given a replacement until I was satisfied. I am careful to shop only with companies that offer this reasonable accommodation. I got my iPod Touches at Sam's Club for this very reason, it was a wise choice.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

I can promise you that if you continue to find stuck pixels on their brand new devices, they'll make you stop opening the boxes after a while and just walk away with one.

18. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

You do that and your going to go through the entire store inventory walking empty handed.

19. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

no, I bought mine, first one, NO dead pixels, or stuck ones
    so there are ones without stuck pixels. He will get one, it may just take a while. If it were me, I would get one without any problems.

20. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess you haven't shopped at Sam's Club. They have a satisfaction guarantee and always stand behind it. I can assure you that I could purchase as many as required and Sam's Club would have no issue with it.

As for those who think it is not possible to get one without dead pixels, that is simply ridiculous. As I said every device I ever purchased has had none, either it came that way or a simple return usually remedies it.

21. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

Its completely possible to get fault free iPod touches.....the 4th 16gb i exchanged was fine and the first 32gb i bought was also fine....there are a lot out there with pixel defects and if people want to accept them thats up to them.....I'd far rather put the effort in and get a decent one! :p

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, I have shopped at Sam's Club. I do it usually three times per week. I gurantee that they won't let you open twenty boxes (which lowers the value of the product by $50 to be sold as a refurb) to find one with a perfect screen when all of the others meet the industry standard. Perfect screens are out there, yes, but they only make up a fraction <1/2 of the total inventory. I assure that if you kept coming back to open more boxes, Sam's Club would eventually tell you to just go away. No company can survive when people like that just destroy their inventory's value.

23. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Touch newbie here so pardon my rather stupid question.

But how do you check for dead/stuck pixels on the touch? I mean is there an app or a certain way to do so? For the macs there are apps that flash background of different colours for you to spot the defective pixels on the monitors. Does the touch has something similar?

24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Just google it on the iPod touch. Do it at your own risk. If you can't see any now - well, ignorance is bliss. You will most definitely find one or more stuck pixels after doing the test.

25. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

WHAT POOR STANDARDS OF APPLE!!! :( shocklng

oh, third party ipod touch? there are clones now??