Dead Pixels on new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Caistar, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Caistar macrumors newbie

I bought my first MacBook last Tuesday (21/10). I was so excited! I'd read about the battery and function key problems, so I checked for those - there was a tiny gap with my battery cover, but nothing I would care about. I figured that it's not going to be very often that I'll be looking at the bottom of the case, so I could cope with that - especially considering I could've had much more serious problems...

Then on Tuesday I noticed something on the screen. I wiped the screen over with the cleaning cloth... it was still there. A rising sense of dismay and horror descended as I realised I had a dreaded 'dead pixel' on my screen... I considered it, and figured one pixel I could probably cope with, although I was tempted to take back my Mac... then I noticed two more.

So I called Apple. After being transferred to a technical support technician, I informed him that I had three dead pixels. He told me I needed more than three for it to be pronounced dead on arrival. As he said this, I noticed a fourth, which I told him of. He then changes his story to tell me I need more than 4-5 for it to be dead on arrival, and that they couldn't do anything for me right now, but if I monitor it and there come to be a lot more (did not define how many was necessary) that because I called two days after purchase, and they've recorded that, that I would be eligible for dead on arrival status.

There are now 10 dead pixels (at last count) so the computer will be going back to the store and we will be insisting on a replacement. Any suggestions as to how this should be handled?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Easy. Go in and show them the pixels. You will get a replacement for sure.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I bought a MBP that had 1 dead pixel. I boxed it up and went to the Apple store. I asked the guy who sold it to me what their policy was for 1 dead pixel. He told me that I could exchange it without seeing a "genius". He took the old MBP back without even looking at it to check the pixel.
    He then insisted that I take something for free. I told him 3 times that it was okay and I didn't need anything extra. He finally made me take a free sleeve.

4. fearlessphil macrumors newbie

l previously had a macbook replaced because i placed a lot of pressure on the keyboard and it started to crack, this was 2 months after purchase and was for free so they should do something about. all i done was screamed at them over the phone, you should say something like that you only recognized the first few pixels as you only tested the machine to see if worked. a day later, as you left the machine to fully charge the battery, you began to use it and noticed immediately that there was more than 3 pixels that were dead...this way you have an excuse of why more pixels were dead when reported the second time and a day later

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

^^wow , crazy good service.

To the OP: 10 dead pixels is nuts. Apple QC at its finest I guess...

6. me2000 macrumors 6502

10?!

There better not be ONE dead pixel.. for $1300, the screen should be flawless.

7. Caistar thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it back today, they exchanged it no questions asked - didn't even turn it on so I could show them the pixels. They even swapped the hard drives for me, so I didn't lose my Office installation, so I'm thrilled with the service I received. The guy who we spoke to was very helpful, even managing to sneak us in with the Genius bar to swap the hard drives, so I wasn't late for class.

All in all, I feel that I was unlucky in my first purchase, but that they dealt with the situation beautifully. Dad didn't even need to stamp his feet :p So now I just have to hope this MacBook (currently charging) doesn't have any problems either!

8. me2000 macrumors 6502

Let us know how your new one turns out. :)

9. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

i had 3 straight with dead pixels. good luck with your new unit.

10. Caistar thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's fully charged, and I ran one of those screen tests on it... It had a few stuck pixels, which I "massaged" into disappearing, but it looks like I've got one dead pixel again... Not sure what to do now :( I don't know if I should be going back in for another replacement (2+ hour trip, including travel) or if I should just say 'that's life' and deal with it...

11. me2000 macrumors 6502

I personally wouldn't put up with one. It'd bug me too much.

It's a shame that my $600 Dell laptop has a better screen and came with no dead pixels.

12. Caistar thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it'll probably bug me too, and I'd hate to shell out AU$2400 for a laptop I can't bare to use... but at the same time, I hate causing a fuss so... I'm not sure how Apple would deal with a second complaint, even though they handled my first return so beautifully.

13. me2000 macrumors 6502

It's not your fault Apple is sending out faulty screens. You have the right to another replacement.

14. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'd take it back ASAP. We pay a high price for premium quality and I expect to have it. Let us know what you decide.

15. iViking macrumors 6502

I had to go through a new macbook and then 2 more MBP's to get a machine with no dead or stuck pixels. They were kind of acting helpless toward the end, but I was glad I got what I paid for.

16. Caistar thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you upgrade, or did they upgrade it for you? I'm thinking I'll probably take it back, but is one dead pixel sufficient for a replacement? Based on my phone conversation with the technician last week, I need 4-5+, but I've read of others on here who took it back with one and got it replaced, so I'm a bit confused..

This is my first Mac computer, so please bare with me lol...

17. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I also have 1 dead pixel.:mad: Not sure if I will try and take it back. Another could be worse! Also got the new MBP...it has zero dead pixels.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

What's weird about it (I'll never understand) is that it's almost always just ONE dead or stuck pixel out of millions of pixels on the screen.

19. everlast77 macrumors regular

How did u do when u "massaged" the stuck pixel ?

//Everlast

20. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Take it back. The MB screen quality for dead pixels is awful. The one screen I received that was acceptable had a dent near the caps lock key. Go figure...

21. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Remember how they didn't even check your last one when you return it. They'll most likely take this one back. If not, demand for a refund. I'd rather pay a restocking fee to make a statement. But it's most likely that they'll take it back.

22. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Has apple quality control always been this bad on screens or did apple really cheap out on the Macbook screen?

23. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Would you guys post some pics of your dead pixel(s) for us? I'm curious to see how it looks.

24. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I just replaced another MacBook for dead pixels and my new new one has 4 dead pixels (at a minimum). I think I am offically done with the new MacBook. I am so disappointed in Apple's quality control for this release. They should be embarrased!

The dead pixels were s obvious I do not know how it ever left the factory.

25. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I only have an iPhone camera right now and the quality sucks or else id gladly post them. Trust me you can miss a dead/stuck pixel.