Dead/Stuck Pixels? on my iPhone 3GS :(

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iTone, Aug 31, 2009.

1. iTone macrumors member

iTone

A few days ago i restarted my iPhone and when the screen went black to shut down i noticed about 4/5 faint gray dots in various places on the screen.

I had never noticed them before and honestly with regular use you can't really see them unless you hold the iPhone close to you. But now that i know they are there i seem them all the time when i'm watching video or when i have a black background and it annoys me so much!

I paid almost $300 plus taxes for this and i expected a flawless product. I bought this on the day in came out in June so i am still under warranty. I made a Genius Bar appointment but i have a feeling they are going to give me the run around because the pixels are not that blatantly obvious. I do hope they do help me but i am ready to be turned away! :-/

I tried my best to take pictures of the pixels but only one came out. Little dot inside the circle.
    [​IMG]

I tried fixing it with those flashing color screen things and applying some pressure to the area but those things did not help. :(

If you have been through something like this please advise me on how to handle the Apple staff when i go in on Wednesday.

This is so lame! :'(

2. Macgic macrumors 6502

I had the same problem with my first gen a year ago. I had 2-4 dots and i tried restoring and turning on/off but it got worse. Until there was 10-15 and i just showed the genius and he gave me a new one. But you could actually see mine...not saying yours aren't there, but i am color blind and don't see anything. What shape are they?

3. iTone thread starter macrumors member

iTone

They are just little tiny dots, the size of a pixel i suppose, so no real shape to them. If i tilt the iPhone a little of the left they look brighter. Also what i just noticed as i closely inspected it, at different angles i can see other little faint gray dots, specially on the right side. Great, just great!

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

OP. Can you get a better picture of that? I can barely see the dead/stuck pixel.

5. iTone thread starter macrumors member

iTone

I tried getting a better picture but thats the best i could do with my lame camera. But u can see it, the faint dot in the middle. With the naked eye you can see it much better unfortunately.

6. Macgic macrumors 6502

You might try a white (or different colors) background such as a blank safari page. That way we could possibly tell you if it is in fact a dead pixel, otherwise, just go a genius and see what they say.

7. iTone thread starter macrumors member

iTone

I tried different colors and it blends in with colors but sticks out with black backgrounds. I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

8. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Dude take a screenshot!

but seriously...this doesn't constitute as a defect. No LCD manuf will constitute anything less than 3 pixels as a defect. This is usually classed as acceptable. Go figure.

I would suggest rubbing it, but there's the slight problem of a huge piece of glass and a touch screen in front of it lol. Best thing to do is just grin and bare it I'm afraid.

9. losx12 macrumors member

The same thing happened to me, I have a single bright blue pixel in the lower middle of the screen, I have a 32gb iPod touch (not under warranty) and I've done all the tests/pressure and no luck. You can really see it on black backgrounds but once you know it's there you can see it on everything. I don't think I would mind as much if it was gray but bright blue is really annoying. :(

10. iTone thread starter macrumors member

iTone

Update:

I went to the Apple Store on Wednesday and they replaced my screen for free. Now it's flawless, how it was suppose to be. Yay! :D

11. Macgic macrumors 6502

taking a screen shot won't do anything. Because it just takes a picture of what the phone thinks is showing NOT what you actually see.