Deal or No Deal

mlw1235

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
270
0
Milwaukee, WI
Did you (Americans) watch this tonight?

That lady was so stupid for waiting that long to back out.
Different kind of show though, I will most definitely be watching tomorrow!

;)
 

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
512
0
Chicago, IL
Yeah I caught it somewhere in the middle, not sure where. I think I would have stopped at 77 grand, but to go all the way to 138 grand and still go for? Geez. I bet her husband is sooo busted after telling her to (a) keep going and (b) that they had some "good" feeling about number 8. Haha, bum. :)
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
Yes I watched it...meh, a neat concept I guess. But pretty cheesy with the mysterios banker and the suspenseful commercial breaks. I guess it's slightly more amusing then eating kangaroo testicles or hooking a car battery up to your nipples, but I'd say this show is typical bottom of the barrel crap.
 

mlw1235

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
270
0
Milwaukee, WI
max_altitude said:
I love Deal or No Deal. We've had it here in Australia for over a year now. Did you guys only just get it?
It debuted tonight in the US. The concept is original, but as some others have mentioned, the commericial breaks and such really take away from the game.

Personally, I enjoyed the math concepts in it. Probability has always been an interest of mine, so naturally this show becomes intriguing...fast
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,976
424
max_altitude said:
I love Deal or No Deal. We've had it here in Australia for over a year now. Did you guys only just get it?
Over a year? Try about three or four.

When it started the top prize was $2 million. It's down to 200 large now but I've seen it go off a few times. More than Millionaire but then they had two winners in the space of a few weeks (well, the first guy won ages back but 9 held back the show to get better ratings).
 

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
7,921
0
Canberra, Australia
Chundles said:
Over a year? Try about three or four.

When it started the top prize was $2 million. It's down to 200 large now but I've seen it go off a few times. More than Millionaire but then they had two winners in the space of a few weeks (well, the first guy won ages back but 9 held back the show to get better ratings).
Has it really been that long! Wow. Actually you're right, they had it on weekly for a while didn't they, with the bigger prizes. How time flies!
 

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
1,965
0
New York
mlw1235 said:
Did you (Americans) watch this tonight?
I taped it last night since I thought it might be worthy of giving it a chance based upon the promos that aired. Now that there is a mass transit strike in New York City, I should have an abundance of time to check it out later.
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,976
424
max_altitude said:
Has it really been that long! Wow. Actually you're right, they had it on weekly for a while didn't they, with the bigger prizes. How time flies!
Yep, was on primetime when it came out, think it went for an hour too. Seven put it on to compete with millionaire/sale of the century. At an hour long it was possibly the most boring game show on the planet but now it's actually quite good. The guy who hosts it, "Wild One" Johnny O'Keefe's nephew Andrew can be a bit of a tool but he handles it OK.
 

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
4,038
329
.. London ..
Just started here in the UK. (well I've just noticed it start...) Watched an episode while baby sitting (It's broadcast at bored housewife and single mother time in the afternoon)

That was the most boring dreck I ever saw. About an hour long, completly lacking in suspense, and full of fake titillation. There's some bloke sitting down 'the banker' (not a contestant, just some actor paid to sit down for an hour) and the presenter kept going on about how 'the banker won't like this', 'the banker wants to win', 'the banker is getting nervous now' etc etc blah blah for a whole hour.

The actor playing the banker didnt say one word for the whole show, just went through his limited repetore of facial expressions (one more than charles bronson, well done!)

I had to amuse myself by imaging the presenter said 'wanker' every time he said 'banker' e.g. 'the wanker won't like this' etc.

I've done some pretty pointless things, but that was one of the most wasted hours of my life :(

I could imagine how it might be more interesting in a shorter format, but as it stands, I just thought about all the indie filmmakers and docu-makers who were producing stuff so much more skilled and valuable than this tedious waste of bandwidth hogging my nation's limited airwaves.

.. RedTomato ..
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,976
424
RedTomato said:
Just started here in the UK. (well I've just noticed it start...) Watched an episode while baby sitting (It's broadcast at bored housewife and single mother time in the afternoon)

That was the most boring dreck I ever saw. About an hour long, completly lacking in suspense, and full of fake titillation. There's some bloke sitting down 'the banker' (not a contestant, just some actor paid to sit down for an hour) and the presenter kept going on about how 'the banker won't like this', 'the banker wants to win', 'the banker is getting nervous now' etc etc blah blah for a whole hour.

The actor playing the banker didnt say one word for the whole show, just went through his limited repetore of facial expressions (one more than charles bronson, well done!)

I had to amuse myself by imaging the presenter said 'wanker' every time he said 'banker' e.g. 'the wanker won't like this' etc.

I've done some pretty pointless things, but that was one of the most wasted hours of my life :(

I could imagine how it might be more interesting in a shorter format, but as it stands, I just thought about all the indie filmmakers and docu-makers who were producing stuff so much more skilled and valuable than this tedious waste of bandwidth hogging my nation's limited airwaves.

.. RedTomato ..
Yeah, ours is a bit different. Half an hour, much faster paced than it used to be, there's certainly no actor as the "Banker" (1st rule of being an Aussie - don't look like a ********).

It's actually not a bad watch now since they shortened it and made the prizes better with mystery cases, mega-guesses and the like. The best changed they made was definitely bringing it sown to half an hour.
 

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
1,437
2
Good Concept and Show. Waste of an hour.

Honestly, think of how much more you could do in an hour, rather than watch a person turn down thousands of dollars.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,859
57
dornoforpyros said:
Yes I watched it...meh, a neat concept I guess. But pretty cheesy with the mysterios banker and the suspenseful commercial breaks. I guess it's slightly more amusing then eating kangaroo testicles or hooking a car battery up to your nipples, but I'd say this show is typical bottom of the barrel crap.
All depends on how fresh the testicles are, if you are a live guppy/sushi eater -- chasing after a kangaroo and biting its testicles off is definitely a leg up on most of the sillier American redneck stunts.
 

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
22,066
8,483
CT
This show is decent not great, It needs Regis not Howie tho.:rolleyes: The lack of questions make it bland and kind of mindless.
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,988
2,796
What most interesting is that this show is pure gambling. It's not a quiz show or other skill-based show.

Just an interesting observation. ;)

arn
 

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
22,066
8,483
CT
arn said:
What most interesting is that this show is pure gambling. It's not a quiz show or other skill-based show.

Just an interesting observation. ;)

arn
I think the skill is not punching Howie Mandell in the face after he goes to commercial every 5 seconds.:p
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,976
424
Sun Baked said:
All depends on how fresh the testicles are, if you are a live guppy/sushi eater -- chasing after a kangaroo and biting its testicles off is definitely a leg up on most of the sillier American redneck stunts.
Yep, I reckon a Kangaroo would kick seven colours of crap out of you if you tried to bite it's nads off. Mean buggers they are if you tick them off - it's quite scary having a mob of roos growling at you cause you know if they want to chase you then you've got no hope of getting away.

The show's better at half an hour long and with a young, slightly odd host. Regis is too damned old from what I've seen of him on Letterman. They guy who hosts our show was an unknown when he started - he's the nephew of Australia's original "wild one of rock and roll" Johnny o'Keefe. You can see the family mindset sometimes - Andrew o'Keefe is a bit of a tool and hyper as all buggery but he definitely knows how to host this type of show.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,167
2
This show is so annoying.
I have it on, just in the background of what I''m doing.

WTF, I just got a call from the banker?
Very dumb...

but I'd be ALL OVER IT! I need some cash.
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,191
5
Adelaide, Australia
I don't get it. :eek:

How can there be a show that doesn't involve any skill on the participant's behalf? Big Brother at least has basic social skills as a requirement...
 

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
412
0
kc
mlw1235 said:
Did you (Americans) watch this tonight?

That lady was so stupid for waiting that long to back out.
Different kind of show though, I will most definitely be watching tomorrow!

;)
yeah i watched it, i was suprised it was very entertaning
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,976
424
mad jew said:
I don't get it. :eek:

How can there be a show that doesn't involve any skill on the participant's behalf? Big Brother at least has basic social skills as a requirement...
Haven't you seen it? 5:30pm on 7. Basically it's a show where people gamble with the unknown contents of a chosen briefcase and eliminate the remaining cases in order to either force an unseen "bank" to offer more money for their case than it actually contains or to eliminate all the other remaining cases to reveal the contents of their chosen case.

Yeah, crystal, I know.
 

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
I am not sure of how much math is involved the banker offers half of the average value of the board. All you have to do is take a look and decide when if the value of the offer is that much greater than the value of the top prize over the value of the offer.

Lets say you have a preference function that is linear. So if you go from 1$ to 2$ you are just as happy as if you go from $1,000,000 to $1,000,001. Then you should always stick with the suitcase.

If for instance you have a curve that is more logarithmic. Going from 1 to 10 is like going from 10 to 100 and 100,000 isn't much different than a million, then you should take the bankers offer early. 10,000 gets you 5 happies but 1,000,000 only gets you 7. Take the first offer almost every time.

Most people's curves fall somewhere in between. $1 is okay. $10 is a free lunch. $100 is a special treat. $1000 is christmas. $10,000 is a car. $100,000 is a house. $1,000,000 is a nice house. How much more is a house worth to you than a car? Does a nice house really matter that much more than just a house?
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.