Dealing with private photos on an iPhone/iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quackers82, Jan 15, 2016.

1. quackers82 macrumors 6502

No idea which is the best forum as its to with 3 different devices really, but iPhone as my primary one for taking the photos on so i will go for this one.

My iPhone has got all my photos since late 2012 on it, and i have on external hdd from my pre-apple days lots of photos going back another 10 years. So i thought i would do a big tidy up as i have 200GB of iCloud drive and actually organise my photos into albums on iCloud as i like that my iPhone/iPad and Mac all have the same photos via this service.

Whats the best way to deal with photos you don't really want people to see if for example you were showing a family member one of the albums, and I don't want them accidentally coming across certain pictures or albums when browsing? but at the same time i need these photos to be available easily on each device. ( Lets just say when you are single and use certain apps, you share certain pictures and leave it at that . ;) )

Its not currently an issue as i don't let anybody ever use my devices whilst unlocked, but if i organise my photos properly as use it as a digital photo album there will be some occasions whilst one of my devices will be in the hands of others and the albums like to show a preview of there contents......

2. JimStumpy macrumors newbie

JimStumpy

--- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2016 ---
    Try Video Safe 2

3. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Is there another options that will allow private pictures to be removed from the main galaries but accessible via other apps for sharing? That would be great so private pics are not backed up to iCloud or in the galary but can be used for sharing.

4. skyperbon macrumors regular

Try Photo Vault. You can keep your private photos locked up with a code or TouchID. It even has options to share images if that is also required.

5. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

6. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

7. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

I hope to see this feature built into iOS soon. 9.3 has it for notes, why not pics??

8. von franklin macrumors regular

von franklin

dont have the pictures in the album. get a one drive and store private pictures there.

9. big samm macrumors 65816

I use dropbox for these kind of pics!!
    Not in my photo library and always available to me, plus you can keep pictures for offline use with dropbox and you can also put a password so no one but you can access them!

10. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

But by saving them up to Dropbox, you are uploading a copy of them up to Dropboxes server, which means Dropbox has a copy of them. While I would like to hope they aren't looking through your pictures, you really need to hope Dropbox never gets hacked and files stolen.

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

What you've just written applies to:

iCloud
    OneDrive
    Box
    Amazon Cloud

Or any other cloud storage

Use local storage and stay private.

12. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

You can hide pictures on iOS. Just make sure the pictures are not in an album

13. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

But it still shows up in the master folder. Just not in the left most photos tab. It also shows up in the correct but horribly named folder ("Hidden"). A folder with this name practically screams "OPEN ME".

14. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

That was exactly my point. And why I wouldn't even think of saving "private" pics on any of those sites as well....

15. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Haven't you been watching the news? Just don't pass your phone around to look at your pictures albums and put a passcode lock on your phone. All that is free and no additional app needed.