Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon and Best Buy today are offering a deal on Apple's AirPods Max headphones. You can get the AirPods Max for $469.99, down from $549.00 ($79 off).

AirPods-Max-Deal-Feature-Black.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

We've tracked lower prices on the AirPods Max, down to $100 off, but those steeper prices haven't reemerged since first appearing earlier in the summer. As of mid-August, Best Buy and Amazon's deal is the best sale around online.

Pink, Space Gray, Sky Blue, and Silver are in stock on Amazon at this price tag. The AirPods Max are shipped and sold by Amazon, and they're in stock today, with delivery available as soon as Monday, August 16. Best Buy has all colors available on sale, with free shipping or in-store pickup available.

We track sales for every model of the AirPods in our Best AirPods Deals guide, so be sure to bookmark that page while you shop around for the wireless headphones.

Article Link: Deals: AirPods Max Available for $469.99 on Best Buy and Amazon ($79 Off)

Reactions: amartinez1660

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
$400 or so would make it a good stretch buy if you were considering the Sony or Bose, considering premium build quality

Weird purse case and no real power off makes this unattractive buy for me. I think they missed the boat somewhat on the sound signature for my taste

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Still too expensive to be an impulse buy. Open box at best buy shows best at $351. I might be interested at closer to 250, but that purse thing really makes it difficult for me to consider.
Make sure the open box qualifies for Apple Care.

Geek Squad refurbished have a 90 day warranty.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
$400 or so would make it a good stretch buy if you were considering the Sony or Bose, considering premium build quality

Weird purse case and no real power off makes this unattractive buy for me. I think they missed the boat somewhat on the sound signature for my taste
Not really, considering those other headsets support lossless and this doesn’t. They're built great but the others are still built good. The only advantage is really Dolby Atmos support.
These things aren’t selling like Apple probably hoped they would. I feel the price is the main factor in that. I’m sure these will be discontinued as the supply runs out.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

Considering my Bowers & Wilkins PX7’s are $399.99 (which I like very much), then I consider the sales price of the AirPod Max a bargain!

Cmon’ jump in, the waters fine 😇

Ludatyk

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2012
Texas
Still too expensive to be an impulse buy. Open box at best buy shows best at $351. I might be interested at closer to 250, but that purse thing really makes it difficult for me to consider.
351? Open box.. .that’s not bad. I’ll probably jump on that. In my area… it’s ranging from 422-436 depending on the color.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder if they're not selling as many of these as they'd like. I bought one and it was just too heavy on my head compared to other headphones I've used. Returned them a week later after giving them a good chance.

A shame, because other than that they were great, and I liked how quickly and reliably they pair. but I wear headphones while I work and end up moving my head around a lot, and it felt like they were constantly flopping around and ready to fall off.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
$399-449 would be a more reasonable price and maybe Apple can keep this in mind for AirPods Max Series 2 which hopefully will come with an on/off button, use lighter material and something better looking/more protective than the current “purse” case.

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
Not really, considering those other headsets support lossless and this doesn’t. They're built great but the others are still built good. The only advantage is really Dolby Atmos support.
These things aren’t selling like Apple probably hoped they would. I feel the price is the main factor in that. I’m sure these will be discontinued as the supply runs out.

That's the thing, there are pros and cons to other headsets, but at least the Max would be **in the running**. Lossless is nice but it's not a deal breaker for me, but if it was $400 or less, then it becomes somewhat competitive...."for the same price as the B&O, B&W, Sony, Bose....I could get the Airpods Max with Spatial Audio"

At $500+, it becomes "Man, I'm paying a lot of Apple tax for these", just for some solid aluminum.which I'm reminded of every time I wear them because they are so heavy. At least give us a proper case, that origami sleeve is the weirdest thing ever.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
Considering my Bowers & Wilkins PX7’s are $399.99 (which I like very much), then I consider the sales price of the AirPod Max a bargain!

Cmon’ jump in, the waters fine 😇
With headphones, the two things that are most important....sound AND comfort need to be there equally. Personally I'm not a fan of the sound signature, it's better than many but I actually prefer other headphones. I prefer the sound of the Razer Opus or Drop Panda for example. The Airpods are well built, but they are pretty heavy, I prefer lighter feeling headphones. So the price doesn't justify them for me regardless of how much they are discounted.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
With headphones, the two things that are most important....sound AND comfort need to be there equally. Personally I'm not a fan of the sound signature, it's better than many but I actually prefer other headphones. I prefer the sound of the Razer Opus or Drop Panda for example. The Airpods are well built, but they are pretty heavy, I prefer lighter feeling headphones. So the price doesn't justify them for me regardless of how much they are discounted.
Truly, everyone has their own preferences. I'm glad you can describe your likes and dislikes. Many people can't seem to describe why they "like" or "dislike". I think it is very helpful to those who are thinking about purchasing.

I follow several websites about cameras, wine, beer, computers. The debates are great to participate in, as long as they are friendly, like this posting :)

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have a pair and they are great. No doubt most won’t buy until they are cheaper Though. Love using my air pods pro fir workouts a £ walks and max for Great sound

Reactions: BlueParadox

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020

Agree; given the price of comparable sets from Sony and Bose, I’d go for these at £400 or even £450 (there’s a markup in the UK given Apple’s price conversion) for the instant pairing with all my devices.

Not remotely bothered about the no power off.

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
Truly, everyone has their own preferences. I'm glad you can describe you likes and dislikes. Many people can't seem to describe why they "like" or "dislike". I think it is very helpful to those who are thinking about purchasing.

I follow several websites about cameras, wine, beer, computers. The debates are great to participate in, as long as they are friendly, like this posting :)

I am a big headphone enthusiast and know what I like. I think Apple missed the target for me but others may like it. To compound the missed target, Apple doesn't provide a way to customize the sound to my exact preference either which means I can't even tweak it to my liking.

In terms of the other aspects, the Airpods Max would be much more compelling if it's more within spitting distance of the other's pricing. The Homepod wasn't and paid the price. If you are comparing $350 headphones (on sale) like the Sony and Bose to a $550 Airpods, and the Sony and Bose are already highly regarded and most people find them "good enough" in both sound and comfort, then it's a harder sale.

The other wrinkle is Apple's own Airpods and Airpods Pro earbuds. They already sound good, are waaay more convenient and portable, and half the cost or more. I own the Airpods Pro and I find them super useful.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I am a big headphone enthusiast and know what I like. I think Apple missed the target for me but others may like it. To compound the missed target, Apple doesn't provide a way to customize the sound to my exact preference either which means I can't even tweak it to my liking.

In terms of the other aspects, the Airpods Max would be much more compelling if it's more within spitting distance of the other's pricing. The Homepod wasn't and paid the price. If you are comparing $350 headphones (on sale) like the Sony and Bose to a $550 Airpods, and the Sony and Bose are already highly regarded and most people find them "good enough" in both sound and comfort, then it's a harder sale.

The other wrinkle is Apple's own Airpods and Airpods Pro earbuds. They already sound good, are waaay more convenient and portable, and half the cost or more. I own the Airpods Pro and I find them super useful.
My only fear with the AirPod Max headphones is they are going to make me too lazy to hook up my wired headphones to my headphone amplifier/DAC (even though the do in fact offer more). ;) They are so convenient as they easily connect to my Apple devices. Not to mention sounding better than any BT headphone I've ever owned.

But, then I kick myself in the butt, and will always pursue the best sound. Meaning cabled headphones driven with a decent amplifier/DAC. Maybe someday wireless can go full on high resolution? But for now it is nice to have a choice depending on where I want to access my music. As you know the tech. does improve with time!
IMG_4502.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.