Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirPods Max have received an even steeper discount on Amazon today, dropping the headphones down to $489.00, down from $549.00 in select colors. Sky Blue and Space Gray are available at this price, and Pink are available for just a bit more at $490.30.

AirPods-Max-Deal-Feature-Blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Adorama. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This sale beats the previous low price by about $10, and it's now the best deal available online for Apple's AirPods Max. The headphones are shipped by Amazon and are in stock today, so anyone with Prime shipping can get them within the next few days with free shipping.

We track sales for every model of the AirPods in our Best AirPods Deals guide, so be sure to bookmark that page while you shop around for the wireless headphones.

Article Link: Deals: AirPods Max Hit New Record Low Price of $489 on Amazon ($60 Off)

Last edited:

IIGS User

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2019
I would have to have an equivalent sum of money in reserve set aside to procure a supply of rock like tropane alkaloid stimulant before spending such on a set of headphones.

In other words, I would have to be smoking crack to pay that much for headphones....

bookcase

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
Even at that price, they're still double the price of some quality competitors. I'd love a pair, but I have a mortgage to pay. Apple's pricing structure has always perplexed me, but these are shockingly high. If I could get them for $250, they'd be on my head as I type this.

h3ysw5nkan

macrumors 68000
Aug 17, 2016
Even at that price, they're still double the price of some quality competitors. I'd love a pair, but I have a mortgage to pay. Apple's pricing structure has always perplexed me, but these are shockingly high. If I could get them for $250, they'd be on my head as I type this.
I would price them at $325

Reactions: SDJim and roncron

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Should never have been more than £350 it’s criminal how much apple charge and they can’t even do high res audio
By pricing them very high they have room to add more tech in them over the years without increasing the price. They already know how much tech they will be adding to their products over the years when the first version is announced. Having said that, the first versions of their products are complete rip offs because they don't include any of the tech that will eventually necessitate the higher price. Apple is just getting its customers used to new prices with the first versions. They would rather deal with criticism about price than to spoil their customers with products with lower margins while needing to add more features to them over the years that would cut into the profit.

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2013
If they drop to $350 I might bite. I’d rather have 3rd gen Airpods with spatial audio though. More practical and useful. I couldn’t imagine going running in these.

Just like with the HomePod, it’s a great product which I really like, but it was priced wrong. I bought mine at $200 and it was definitely worth it. At $300 it feels a bit too expensive.

They should really reintroduce it with upgrades like U1 and Thread at $200 as the sound quality is absolutely fantastic.

Reactions: SDJim

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2013
Should never have been more than £350 it’s criminal how much apple charge and they can’t even do high res audio
The lack of high res audio support feels like a big own goal for a company like Apple. I expect Apple to plan well ahead and to integrate everything beautifully. This seems like a Googlesque move.

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
I actually tried it out in the store, it's not as good as XM4 other than spacial audio.

I own the XM4s (and had the XM3s previously), and I recently tried out the AirPods Max in store also. Personally I think they are pretty fantastic and I'm seriously considering the AirPods Max now that the price is starting to come down.

While the XM4s are certainly very good headphones, the AirPods Max are objectively better in many ways - notably the build quality and overall UI/UX. And also worse in a few ways (ie: crappy carrying case). Of course, whether they're worth paying around 2X the price for really depends on how enthusiastic you are about your headphones 😉

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.