Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has slashed its pricing on the version of the Apple Studio Display with nano-texture glass to $1,499.99, down from its regular price of $1,899.00.

apple-studio-display-blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This $399 discount on the nano-texture Apple Studio Display is the steepest we've ever seen and is available only with the basic tilt-adjustable stand.

While the standard Apple Studio Display comes with an anti-reflective coating to reduce glare, the nano-texture glass option scatters light to minimize glare even more. Apple says the option, which is normally a $300 upgrade over the standard glass, is ideal for spaces with bright lighting sources.

For more discounts, check out our Deals Roundup to shop for even more Apple-related products and accessories.

Article Link: Deals: Apple Studio Display With Nano-Texture Glass Drops to Record-Low $1,499.99 at Amazon ($399 Off)

ShivneelSingh

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Am I the only one who likes the glossy look of the regular glass better? It looks super sleek imo.
I'm with you on this. I love the glossy display because it still have an anti-reflective coating on the glass.
I have a dual ASD setup, right in front of a window, but I have never experienced any harsh glare.

I feel like the regular glass is sharper.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Is this the first signal of a refresh at WWDC?

There are rumors of a ProMotion version with MiniLED, but expectations are that will be around $3000.

At the current price, 6K 120Hz makes more sense.

There are also rumors of a refresh for the Apple XDR Pro going to 7K with ProMotion, but that one is expected to cost at least as much as the current XDR (so $5000+).

• Wow
Reactions: Armada2 and Ion-X

Ion-X

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2017
Still $500 too expensive. Apple can’t simply charge 50% more than the competition for a commodity product (newsflash: most Apple display panels are made by Samsung!) Every 4K 60fps panel made by Samsung of a given SKU is going to be identical whether Dell or HP or Apple uses it.

I am not willing to pay an extra $500 to $1000 for a stand and/or wheels.

I can get a 77” OLED TV for under $1000 right now. A 27” LCD monitor that costs double that should at least include 6K and 120fps.

Once again monitors cost more than comparable TVs… because DisplayPort? 🤣

Last edited:

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Doubt it. Too soon for a refresh. Most likely nobody has been buying this version
Exactly. Who the hell is spending $2,000 on a monitor. Relax Apple, you aren't that special anymore.

People wanted a new 27" iMac and Cook said, no problem. Buy my monitor for $2,000 then the actual computer for another $1400 or whatever it is. Apple has become the epitome of a sleaze ball car salesman.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Am I the only one who likes the glossy look of the regular glass better? It looks super sleek imo.
I agreed the look might be better BUT, if you work in a bright environment with lots of windows, the glossy is a nightmare IMO. I can't stand it. I still have two 30" ACDs with matte screens for this reason. My MBP on the other hand is a glossy screen and the reflections are all over.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Hopefully a sign that a larger (than macbook pro-sized and less than a Pro Display XDR-sized) XDR display is impending?! IMHO, a 27" iMac XDR would be a runaway best seller.

I'm personally awaiting a 42-43" class 8K XDR display...well, a fella can dream.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I'm with you on this. I love the glossy display because it still have an anti-reflective coating on the glass.
I have a dual ASD setup, right in front of a window, but I have never experienced any harsh glare.

I feel like the regular glass is sharper.
Agreed. I did a direct comparision between the two at an Apple store, and text is sharper on the glossy. Plus the nano's anti-reflective texture is so strong that it imparts a shimmering "snowfield" effect on white backgrounds, which I hate.

OTOH, it is very effective at controlling reflections, and looks great for photo or video work. So if you need to do photo or video work in a room where you can't control the light, it's probably a life-saver. But that's the only application for which I'd buy it.

I'm wondering if Apple allowed AZ to drop the price because they wanted to reduce stock in anticipation of the release of the 5k 27" Samsung Viewfinity S9, which comes with a matte screen and should be out soon.

Reactions: aressaress

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Still $500 too expensive. Apple can’t simply charge 50% more than the competition for a commodity product (newsflash: most Apple display panels are made by Samsung!) Every 4K 60fps panel made by Samsung of a given SKU is going to be identical whether Dell or HP or Apple uses it.

I am not willing to pay an extra $500 to $1000 for a stand and/or wheels.

I can get a 77” OLED TV for under $1000 right now. A 27” LCD monitor that costs double that should at least include 6K and 120fps.

Once again monitors cost more than comparable TVs… because DisplayPort? 🤣

I agree a monitor is a commodity. However, given there are no other native 5K displays Apple is able to charge exhorbitant prices.

Let's see what Samsung charges for their Viewfinity S9.

Reactions: nt5672

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Costco had the non-texture display for $1349 last week. I think it's clear from the discounts Apple priced these way too high. The tilt and adjustable stand is extra? The VESA mount extra? Embarrassing.
I picked one up a couple months ago when the had it for $1299. Still overpriced, but I love it and don't regret the spend.
Also the problem I have with the adjustable stand besides the price is that it only goes HIGHER than the non-adjustable stand. I would have gone that route if it could go lower.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
I have the nano texture display and it's great for controlling reflections but reading text is definitely not as sharp. Lower contrast too. I'm not sure I would buy it again -- but I primarily do video work so no glare inside FCPx is definitely nice.

Reactions: NMBob and Ener Ji

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Anyone who thinks this monitor is overpriced simply doesn’t value 5k or the importance of solid, sturdy, reliable display that just “works.” Compare this to the ultrafine in person and you‘ll easily see the $300 difference. The reality is that other monitors have cut corners. This is the true price for this form factor and technology. Everything else is hoping you’ll ignore the flimsy plastic or plop it on a VESA arm.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Anyone who thinks this monitor is overpriced simply doesn’t value 5k or the importance of solid, sturdy, reliable display that just “works.” Compare this to the ultrafine in person and you‘ll easily see the $300 difference. The reality is that other monitors have cut corners. This is the true price for this form factor and technology. Everything else is hoping you’ll ignore the flimsy plastic or plop it on a VESA arm.
I know it's overpriced because the ASD is not much different from the 8-bit-panel display Apple featured on the late 2020 5k iMac, and that was just $200 more ($1800) for an entire computer. And the 5k iMac was a quality product. I own the 2019 version.

Don't get me wrong—the ASD is a great display. But so is the one on the iMac. The problem is that they're charging prosumer prices for what is essentially a very nice consumer-level display. If they wanted to charge prosumer prices they should have ditched the bells and whistles (the fancy camera and speakers) and made it a prosumer-level display, with a 10-bit panel and local dimming (like the XDR).

Last edited:

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
My biggest complaints on the Studio Display is the lack of second input, and the adjustable height stand just being the standard offering. Although, with the built in processor I kind of wish they offered some more features like AppleTV built in, or built in Airplay support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.