Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has returned with an all-time low price on the 32GB Apple TV 4K, available for $149.99, down from $179.00. This remains the best price we've ever tracked on this version of the 2021 Apple TV 4K, and it has an estimated delivery window as soon as this Thursday for many places in the United States.

Apple-TV-deals-22.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Apple introduced the new Apple TV 4K last year, and it comes with the all-new Siri Remote, the A12 Bionic chip, and more. For more storage, the 64GB version is also on sale, priced at $169.99, down from $199.00. This is another record low price for the Apple TV 4K.

You can keep track of Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD deals in our dedicated guide. Additionally, head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Apple TV 4K Available for Lowest-Ever Price of $149.99 on Amazon

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sorgo †

coachgq

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
These are great items to buy on Swappa. Can be found for $120ish if you are patient.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
64GB isn’t enough for me, constantly getting “out of Storage” messages.

Hoping that the next ATV has larger storage options.
If I may ask, what do you store on this device?

The only thing we use ours for is streaming content. Granted it is the best streaming device we have found. But I have yet to find another use for it.

I would have bought the 32GB version, but when we purchased it I think the 64GB version was only $20 more.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
These are great items to buy on Swappa. Can be found for $120ish if you are patient.
But those are all used right? I'd rather pay $30 extra for it new anyway. And I have a store card at Target that saves me 5%, so I can price match with Amazon and get the extra 5% off.

Still more than Swappa, but it's new.

Reactions: Breaking Good

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If I may ask, what do you store on this device?

The only thing we use ours for is streaming content. Granted it is the best streaming device we have found. But I have yet to find another use for it.
Games, half dozen large ones would fill up a 32GB ATV.

If one is just streaming, 32GB would be more than sufficient.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I'll hold out for the new one.
If you have the ATV 4K 2017 model then there isn't much incentive for most people to upgrade to the current 2021 model. I bought the newer remote to go with my 2017 model and I doubt the 2021 would deliver any better performance since I’m not a gamer. So if like me you mostly just stream content with it, the horsepower upgrade won't really make a huge difference, if any.

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
If you have the ATV 4K 2017 model then there isn't much incentive for most people to upgrade to the current 2021 model. I bought the newer remote to go with my 2017 model and I doubt the 2021 would deliver any better performance since I’m not a gamer. So if like me you mostly just stream content with it, the horsepower upgrade won't really make a huge difference, if any.
I upgraded from the HD to 4K model the other month.

Gator5000e

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2018
If anyone buys one, don't update to TV OS 15.5.1. The update broke Dolby Atmos for me on my 2021 ATV 4K causing frequent 10-25 second audio dropouts while watching a show encoded with Dolby Atmos. Watching episodes 1 & 2 of Stranger Things was a real poor experience with all these dropouts until some research found the work arounds. This apparently only happens when connected via ethernet (go figure). Streaming on WiFi is fine. Another solution is to turn off Dolby audio in settings. Sucks to have to do this. And I guess for some who have this issue it has been around since v 15 was released.

Reactions: SAIRUS and zubikov

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I just picked one up with this sale. Thx for the info. I've moved away from Apple TV over the past several years and on to Fire TV. I'm sure things are much improved since the last time I used one.

Reactions: jwolf6589

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Games, half dozen large ones would fill up a 32GB ATV.

If one is just streaming, 32GB would be more than sufficient.
And now the real question, and I don’t mean this sarcastically, but there’s really 64 GB worth of games worth playing available on it?

Please name some. Again, serious question, genuinely curious. Thank you.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'm still using an ATV3, and tough Apple etc have lopped parts of its functionality off repeatedly to get me to throw it in a landfill, I''ll part with my nice 100% tactile remote when you pry it out of my old dead hands.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
And now the real question, and I don’t mean this sarcastically, but there’s really 64 GB worth of games worth playing available on it?
Yes, keep in mind that it only takes less than a dozen large games to fill up a 64GB ATV.

If you like things like Aerial Screen Savers, a larger size could also help. I pretty much only see one of them because there is hardly ever enough space on my ATV to download multiple ones.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even on large games, there are still sometimes assets, that need to be downloaded to play a game or certain parts of a game. I have ran into the annoying situation where I was playing a game, but was unable to continue because I didn't have enough room on my ATV for additional assets.

Please name some. Again, serious question, genuinely curious. Thank you.
Sure:

The Oceanhorn series:
Three games total, all require a controller. The first one, Monster of Uncharted Seas is like TLOZ, A link to the Past and Windwaker.

The second, Knights of the Lost Realm is like TLOZ BOTW. This game is a huge, open world.
Free on Apple Arcade. One of the best games on Apple Arcade, imo.

The third, Chronos Dungeon, is like a 16-bit dungeon crawler.
Free on Apple Arcade.

Alto's Adventure:
Simple, but beautiful, relaxing, but addicting. It is a great game to unwind from work, nice music and visuals.
Free on Apple Arcade, or at least the "+" version. I bought this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.
Plays great with the first Siri Remote.

Alto's Odyssey:
Sequel to Alto's Adventure, taking place in a desert instead of snowy mountains.
The "+" version is free on Apple Arcade. I bought this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Inside:
It is kind of like a horror, puzzle game. I get creepy vibes from playing this one.
Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller. Love this game.

Real Racing 3:
This one is free. I have spent a lot of time on this one. It is fun, although overtime, it turns into a pay to win game. The cloud saving is glitchy as well. I had a bunch of time invested, and stopped playing for like 6 months. Went to play again, and all my progress was gone. Still, it is a great racing game.
Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller.

Asphalt 8:
I haven't played it in a while as I prefer RR3, but it is a fun and fast pace racing game.
The "+" version is free on Apple Arcade. I bought (or downloaded, can't remember if it was free or not) this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.
Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller.

Skate City:
Fun skate boarding game. Good graphics for an AA game.
Requires a controller. Free on Apple Arcade.

Sonic the Hedgehog:
Classic Sonic. It is a great port. The App Store says that it is free now, but I thought I paid for it a while ago. I think it might be free with adds now, but you can purchase the ad-free version via IAP.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2:
Same quality as the first port. I always preferred it over the original when I was younger. Same with the first, this one is now free, just with an IAP for the "Premium Upgrade".

Sonic CD:
Another great port. Again, the same thing with it being free with an IAP.

Fantasian:
If you like RPGs like FF, then Fantasian might be for you. The creator was one of the same creators of the original FF game. It looks amazing, and gameplay is nice. One of the best looking games on tvOS.

The Oregon Trail:
Completely redesign from the older game and all the reboots. Looks great. A lot of scenarios and options, especially the more you play.
Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller. Free on Apple Arcade.

SongPop Party:
A remake from the SongPop game that was also on tvOS. Great game to play with the family, especially if you like all kinds of Music. It is like "Name that Tune". Basically, you listen to music, and compete against others to guess a song name, or artist name, as fast as you can.
Plays great with the first Siri Remote. It is free on Apple Arcade.

I can give you more if you like.

I have a lot of games that are no longer available to purchase as well, such as the DuckTales Remastered version. A lot of the games that I purchased are no longer updated, or were pulled from the tvOS store as well.

One of my favorite games of all time is the RISK game that is still on iPadOS and MacOS, but was pulled from the tvOS App Store last summer.

Gaming developers are leaving the tvOS platform like crazy. Hopefully Apple does something to turn it around.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Yes, keep in mind that it only takes less than a dozen large games to fill up a 64GB ATV.

If you like things like Aerial Screen Savers, a larger size could also help. I pretty much only see one of them because there is hardly ever enough space on my ATV to download multiple ones.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even on large games, there are still sometimes assets, that need to be downloaded to play a game or certain parts of a game. I have ran into the annoying situation where I was playing a game, but was unable to continue because I didn't have enough room on my ATV for additional assets.

Sure:

The Oceanhorn series:
Three games total, all require a controller. The first one, Monster of Uncharted Seas is like TLOZ, A link to the Past and Windwaker.

The second, Knights of the Lost Realm is like TLOZ BOTW. This game is a huge, open world.
Free on Apple Arcade. One of the best games on Apple Arcade, imo.

The third, Chronos Dungeon, is like a 16-bit dungeon crawler.
Free on Apple Arcade.

Alto's Adventure:
Simple, but beautiful, relaxing, but addicting. It is a great game to unwind from work, nice music and visuals.
Free on Apple Arcade, or at least the "+" version. I bought this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Alto's Odyssey:
Sequel to Alto's Adventure, taking place in a desert instead of snowy mountains.
The "+" version is free on Apple Arcade. I bought this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Inside:
It is kind of like a horror, puzzle game. I get creepy vibes from playing this one.
Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller. Love this game.

Real Racing 3:
This one is free. I have spent a lot of time on this one. It is fun, although overtime, it turns into a pay to win game. The cloud saving is glitchy as well. I had a bunch of time invested, and stopped playing for like 6 months. Went to play again, and all my progress was gone. Still, it is a great racing game.

Asphalt 8:
I haven't played it in a while as I prefer RR3, but it is a fun and fast pace racing game.
The "+" version is free on Apple Arcade. I bought (or downloaded, can't remember if it was free or not) this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Skate City:
Fun skate boarding game. Good graphics for an AA game.

Sonic the Hedgehog:
Classic Sonic. It is a great port. The App Store says that it is free now, but I thought I paid for it a while ago. I think it might be free with adds now, but you can purchase the ad-free version via IAP.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2:
Same quality as the first port. I always preferred it over the original when I was younger. Same with the first, this one is now free, just with an IAP for the "Premium Upgrade".

Sonic CD:
Another great port. Again, the same thing with it being free with an IAP.

Fantasian:
If you like RPGs like FF, then Fantasian might be for you. The creator was one of the same creators of the original FF game. It looks amazing, and gameplay is nice. One of the best looking games on tvOS.

The Oregon Trail:
Completely redesign from the older game and all the reboots. Looks great. A lot of scenarios and options, especially the more you play.
Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller. Free on Apple Arcade.

SongPop Party:
A remake from the SongPop game that was also on tvOS. Great game to play with the family, especially if you like all kinds of Music. It is like "Name that Tune". Basically, you listen to music, and compete against others to guess a song name, or artist name, as fast as you can.
Plays great with the first Siri Remote. It is free on Apple Arcade.

I can give you more if you like.

I have a lot of games that are no longer available to purchase as well, such as the DuckTales Remastered version. A lot of the games that I purchased are no longer updated, or were pulled from the tvOS store as well.

One of my favorite games of all time is the RISK game that is still on iPadOS and MacOS, but was pulled from the tvOS App Store last summer.

Gaming developers are leaving the tvOS platform like crazy. Hopefully Apple does something to turn it around.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I too wonder about Apple’s level of commitment to the tvOS platform for gaming. In generally really. I don’t think they’ll abandon it but they also don’t seem to care too much about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.