Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is taking up to $100 off the Apple Watch Series 5 this week, with prices starting at $299.99 for the 40mm GPS models. Only the Gold Aluminum Case with Pink Sport Band is available at this price. If you order today, the Apple Watch should arrive sometime next week.

series-5-ss-sale.png
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The Apple Watch Series 5 was released in September 2019 with a new OLED screen that supports an always-on feature, which represents the biggest change to the Series 5 models. The newest Apple Watch is available in 40mm and 44mm sizes, and it has the overall same design as the Series 4 models.

If you're shopping for a cellular model, there are also a few solid discounts on Amazon for these devices. You can get the Gold Aluminum Case with Pink Sport Band (40mm) for $399.00, down from $499.00. Likewise, the Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band (40mm) is $399.00 right now.

For the 44mm cellular models, a solid deal is the Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band at $429.00, down from $529.00. You'll find the same price on the Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band and the Gold Aluminum Case with Pink Sport Band.

Across the board, these sales are either new low prices on the Apple Watch Series 5, or they're matching previous low prices seen on these models on Amazon. There are a few other deals going on for different Series 5 models as well, including numerous 44mm cellular devices that are about $50 off Apple's original prices. Be sure to head to Amazon to check out the full sale before these prices expire, or the retailer runs out of stock.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Apple Watch Series 5 Models Discounted by Up to $100 on Amazon

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This is very tempting. I can get a mint 38MM SS Series 3 for $219, though. I prefer the dressier SS version over aluminum. However, I’d likely wait to purchase one a AW later on this year.

Reactions: DoctorTech

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Still can’t imagine charging a *watch every single day*
Would love one but won’t buy it until it can last a week on a charge.
It really not that big of deal unless you plan to wear it while you sleep. I have my charger on my night stand and I just put it on the charger when I get in bed and put it back on my wrist when I get up. I normally have around 40% remaining in the battery when I go to bed. Rumors are that the new AW series 6 coming in September will have sleep tracking so I am guessing the battery might charge faster so you could charge it whie you are in the shower rather than having to charge overnight.

Reactions: Boatboy24

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008

I only have a Series 4 but I think battery life is pretty similar on 5. I don't find this a burden at all. Battery life is great and charging is fast. Most people don't sleep with their watches on and you gotta put it somewhere, so why not on the charger? I actually do wear mine at night as I'm using a sleep tracking app, but even so, I gotta take it off to jump in the shower and get ready in the morning and that's more than enough time for it to fully charge. I've never had my watch die during the day.

I guess if you have the LTE version and want to make phone calls on your watch it might be more challenging, but for day to day use, the battery life/charging burden is not a concern.

Reactions: dms_91

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I forgot to charge my watch two nights ago. Had it on all day until almost midnight last night before I got the battery at 10% warning.

Reactions: FlyBry and psac

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
This is very tempting. I can get a mint 38MM SS Series 3 for $219, though. I prefer the dressier SS version over aluminum. However, I’d likely wait to purchase one a AW later on this year.
Choosing the right finish and band is a very personal choice, even more so than just picking out the color and size of a new iPhone. I really like the SS finish but I stick with the aluminum version because I upgrade every 2 years (looking forward to a new Series 6 this fall). If I was going to pick a watch to wear for the next 5 years I would spend the extra money to go SS or Titanium but I like upgrading more frequently. Good luck with whatever decision you make. If this is your first AW, I think you will really like whatever you get, Apple really nailed it on this product and they have 55% of global smart watch sales.

Reactions: FlyBry

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Got the space grey Series 5 for $299 from Best Buy for hubby. Wore his for a few hours and thought the $300 wasn’t worth the upgrade from my Series 1 ??‍♀️

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I really wish the alumnum gold on these models was still gold-gold and not rose-gold. My old S1 gold with a cheap amazon leather black band still looks great to me. The rose gold is too feminine to me (especially as it comes with a pink band), and the space grey is too boring. Maybe next year they'll have some better options...

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location

I have yet to see any of my peers needing to charge it every single day.
I was skeptical about the battery life at first but mine is now charged every other day.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Sweet deal. I have series 4, and 5 isn’t worth the upgrade IMO. Series 6 might be worth a look. I can’t believe how Apple manages to keep improving the thing.

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
Do you wear your watch to bed? If not, then you take it off, and instead of laying it on your dresser, you drop it on the puck.
The Fitbit can track monitor your sleep to let you know how well you slept, which is useful to know for people who find they wake up tired a lot. The Apple Watch obviously can't do that, or at least it wouldn't be practical to use. A small feature, but it does have a use for some people.

Reactions: whadzinaname

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
The Fitbit can track monitor your sleep to let you know how well you slept, which is useful to know for people who find they wake up tired a lot. The Apple Watch obviously can't do that, or at least it wouldn't be practical to use. A small feature, but it does have a use for some people.

I use AutoSleep and actually wear my watch to bed. I find time to charge it in the evening and in the morning when I’m doing other things. I’ve never found it to be more than a minor inconvenience.

Reactions: MikeFromTexas

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
I use AutoSleep and actually wear my watch to bed. I find time to charge it in the evening and in the morning when I’m doing other things. I’ve never found it to be more than a minor inconvenience.
It would certainly be better if you didn't have to worry about it, wouldn't it? We should all welcome a battery life improvement, since we are all reasonable people. It would result in a better product, without a doubt.

jgoodmanjr

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
I guess the sale was only for a few hours. I used link in article, and they are regular price now.

EmptyJay

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2019
I just picked up the same deal a few days ago on Target.com

Scored me a 40mm Space Gray for $299. Loving it so far!

I did the same for my wife for Mother's Day. The price is still available at Target, Amazon seems unavailable now. Stock is getting pretty thin, though.

Add on 5% for using Target's RedCard and a $60 trade-in for her series 2 back to Apple, and it's real steal!

Reactions: cwwilson

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
It would certainly be better if you didn't have to worry about it, wouldn't it? We should all welcome a battery life improvement, since we are all reasonable people. It would result in a better product, without a doubt.

Sure, I agree. I’d love it if I never had to charge it period. But the fact that it has to be charged shouldn’t be the only reason you don’t buy one. The inconvenience is extremely minimal in every day living.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I only have a Series 4 but I think battery life is pretty similar on 5.
I too have a series 4 and I mostly just use it to view the time - my biggest wish is for an always on display. I can often get 2 days out of it on a single charge. I asked a couple people in the Apple Store how their series 5 (always on) compared with that and they said the battery life in the series 5 is unquestionably less and there's no way you'd ever get 2 days out of a single charge. I also know a thing or two about lithium ion battery technology (having designed chargers for them) - fast charging, overcharging and letting them run flat does a number on their lifetime. If you want to wear the watch all day and use it for sleep tracking then the only solution is a fast charge while you're in the shower or some other such scenario. It's doable, but comes with a downside for the battery.

iBookie

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2006
Choosing the right finish and band is a very personal choice, even more so than just picking out the color and size of a new iPhone. I really like the SS finish but I stick with the aluminum version because I upgrade every 2 years (looking forward to a new Series 6 this fall). If I was going to pick a watch to wear for the next 5 years I would spend the extra money to go SS or Titanium but I like upgrading more frequently. Good luck with whatever decision you make. If this is your first AW, I think you will really like whatever you get, Apple really nailed it on this product and they have 55% of global smart watch sales.

Yeah, I really prefer the look of the SS as well (still have my SS Series 1). However, Best Buy price matched at $329 for the 44mm Series 5 Silver aluminum (FYI Target and Walmart have similar promos). So I went ahead and ordered one. Hoping it'll still look good with the SS Milanese loop band from my Series 1!

For those that made the jump from older watches, I'm curious what new features you actually use/recommend exploring? I had been reluctant to make the upgrade from my Series 1 because in all honesty, beyond fitness tracking, I mostly just use it as a watch. So, the Series 5 always on watch face actually has some utility for me! LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.