Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today is offering the white version of Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro Magic Keyboard for $293.00, down from $349.00. The keyboard is in stock and sold directly from Amazon, and only the US English version of the accessory is receiving the discount.

2021-Magic-Keyboard-Blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This is a second-best deal on the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard, and for the white color option it's the lowest price we've ever seen on this version of the accessory. Only Amazon is offering this sale, and you won't need any coupon code to see the deal.

This is the new 2021 model of the Magic Keyboard, so it's been optimized to fit the slightly thicker 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro with mini-LED display, but it also fits the 2018 and 2020 models. It features a full QWERTY keyboard, trackpad, USB-C port for charging, backlit keys, and a floating cantilever design.

The iPad Pro attaches magnetically to the keyboard with passthrough charging for the iPad Pro via its Smart Connector, and the Magic Keyboard provides front and back protection when closed.

Our full Deals Roundup has more information on the latest Apple-related sales and bargains.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Magic Keyboard on Sale for $293 ($56 Off)

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
This is not a good deal. Amazon had the 11-inch magic keyboard for $150 last year. Now that was a deal.
I thought so too until I bought one. Maybe it’s different on the 12.9, but on the 11 it’s effectively useless as the lip of the iPad rests right up against the top row of the keys so your fingers are constantly banging against it. Ended up selling the thing for about what I paid for it two months later.

hiphopdan

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
have one for my iPad Air and gotta say, it was a game-changer for me. Not oblivious to the ridiculous price however...can be found on eBay though for way less.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Fell out of love with mine. It’s very expensive for something that turns the iPad Pro 12.9 into a sub-par laptop, especially when I already have a real laptop - MacBook Pro.
The MKB is really heavy — taking the 12.9” from 1.4 lbs to 3.02 lbs, so there’s not really any weight advantage.
The trackpad cursor doesn’t work everywhere, surprisingly. And I actually enjoy the iPad much more as a tablet.

Got the Smart Keyboard Folio for 1/2 price on EBay. Love that it folds over backwards for tablet use. Like the waterproof keys. Got a cheap wireless mini-mouse from Logitech ($20). Only things missing are the usb-c charging port (useful) and the backlit keyboard (although the virtual keyboard is already “backlit”).

Of course, everyone’s needs are different. Some people NEVER remove their iPad from the keyboard case and mainly use it like a laptop. But for me the iPad is a primarily a tablet computer, and the Smart Keyboard allows me to type without straining my neck looking down, as well as having the full screen available for content.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
I'm not the target user for this and don't like the product, but at least it's better than the older keyboard folio that fits my 12.9" 2nd Gen.. Those are terrible. When I was still service-writing I saw more of those with issues than the MBP butterfly. I wonder how prone these are to issues esp at their much higher cost.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I'm not the target user for this and don't like the product, but at least it's better than the older keyboard folio that fits my 12.9" 2nd Gen.. Those are terrible. When I was still service-writing I saw more of those with issues than the MBP butterfly. I wonder how prone these are to issues esp at their much higher cost.
I've had mine for about eight months and it's been fine. I find it works well for times when I don't want to haul the MBP around - it's much more of an MBA replacement for me.

Reactions: mansplains

ToxicBlue

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
This is not a good deal. Amazon had the 11-inch magic keyboard for $150 last year. Now that was a deal.
I still kicking myself for missing that one, only knew about it like a month later and have never seen a deal like that again.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
I happened to see that Costco has this for $289, slightly less for anyone interested and may get better cashback than Amazon.

Reactions: NightFlight

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
I thought so too until I bought one. Maybe it’s different on the 12.9, but on the 11 it’s effectively useless as the lip of the iPad rests right up against the top row of the keys so your fingers are constantly banging against it. Ended up selling the thing for about what I paid for it two months later.
Can you elaborate on this? Is it only at certain angles? Is it only the top numbers row? I was looking at this keyboard buy maybe I should hold off.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I have that folio and it started failing ~3 months ago. I thought it was the beta software, but now realize it’s likely the keyboard.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I’m always tempted by the 12.9 inch iPad, then I remember how much it would actually cost….

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Just in time for Apple to make the camera bump slightly bigger in the new revision and sell you an Apple Magic Keyboard Pro for $499 :D
Oh I can totally see the new Magic Keyboard featuring the larger camera module cut out, new color options, and maybe a function row of keys. And the price increasing to at least $379-$399 for the 12.9” model. With the rate inflation and oil/gas are rising, maybe higher than that.

Reactions: VaruLV

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Can you elaborate on this? Is it only at certain angles? Is it only the top numbers row? I was looking at this keyboard buy maybe I should hold off.
Sure. I mostly used it on a desk at normal level or on a tray table while traveling, my posture is pretty standard as I learned to type in an electronics office course taught at my high school. I noticed it mostly while using number keys for numbers or modifiers like exclamation or @ etc, but occasionally it also happened even when I was reaching for the QWERTY row during particularly spirited typing sessions. I tried adjusting the angle of the screen, the home positions of my hands and my posture etc but could never completely eliminate the phenomenon. I tried to accept and ignore it because it really is a nice keyboard with good tactile feel but after two months I gave up and sold it.

My advice would be to visit your local apple store or Best Buy where you can find them on display, open up the notes app and type out a few paragraphs. If you ask a rep they’ll most likely let you move it to one of the desks with chairs near the Genius Bar to better simulate a real use case. I’ve only heard a few others voice my same issue so it’s definitely a YMMV situation, but for me it was a deal breaker. Hope that helps.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Sure. I mostly used it on a desk at normal level or on a tray table while traveling, my posture is pretty standard as I learned to type in an electronics office course taught at my high school. I noticed it mostly while using number keys for numbers or modifiers like exclamation or @ etc, but occasionally it also happened even when I was reaching for the QWERTY row during particularly spirited typing sessions. I tried adjusting the angle of the screen, the home positions of my hands and my posture etc but could never completely eliminate the phenomenon. I tried to accept and ignore it because it really is a nice keyboard with good tactile feel but after two months I gave up and sold it.

My advice would be to visit your local apple store or Best Buy where you can find them on display, open up the notes app and type out a few paragraphs. If you ask a rep they’ll most likely let you move it to one of the desks with chairs near the Genius Bar to better simulate a real use case. I’ve only heard a few others voice my same issue so it’s definitely a YMMV situation, but for me it was a deal breaker. Hope that helps.
It really does. Thank you.

Reactions: Johnny907

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002

Amazon today is offering the white version of Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro Magic Keyboard for $293.00, down from $349.00. The keyboard is in stock and sold directly from Amazon, and only the US English version of the accessory is receiving the discount.

2021-Magic-Keyboard-Blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This is a second-best deal on the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard, and for the white color option it's the lowest price we've ever seen on this version of the accessory. Only Amazon is offering this sale, and you won't need any coupon code to see the deal.

This is the new 2021 model of the Magic Keyboard, so it's been optimized to fit the slightly thicker 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro with mini-LED display, but it also fits the 2018 and 2020 models. It features a full QWERTY keyboard, trackpad, USB-C port for charging, backlit keys, and a floating cantilever design.

The iPad Pro attaches magnetically to the keyboard with passthrough charging for the iPad Pro via its Smart Connector, and the Magic Keyboard provides front and back protection when closed.

Our full Deals Roundup has more information on the latest Apple-related sales and bargains.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Magic Keyboard on Sale for $293 ($56 Off)
Last fall I got a pristine used 12.9 magic keyboard for $170. With a box. On eBay.

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
Great for screwing around, but as a writer, this thing is about as useful as unicorn feeder. I guess Apple does not care about professionals who work in that field.

Reactions: Johnny907

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
Fell out of love with mine. It’s very expensive for something that turns the iPad Pro 12.9 into a sub-par laptop, especially when I already have a real laptop - MacBook Pro.
The MKB is really heavy — taking the 12.9” from 1.4 lbs to 3.02 lbs, so there’s not really any weight advantage.
The trackpad cursor doesn’t work everywhere, surprisingly. And I actually enjoy the iPad much more as a tablet.

Got the Smart Keyboard Folio for 1/2 price on EBay. Love that it folds over backwards for tablet use. Like the waterproof keys. Got a cheap wireless mini-mouse from Logitech ($20). Only things missing are the usb-c charging port (useful) and the backlit keyboard (although the virtual keyboard is already “backlit”).

Of course, everyone’s needs are different. Some people NEVER remove their iPad from the keyboard case and mainly use it like a laptop. But for me the iPad is a primarily a tablet computer, and the Smart Keyboard allows me to type without straining my neck looking down, as well as having the full screen available for content.

This setup is definitely a luxury setup, one for people that don’t need to do a lot of work on their computer. For people that just need to read, type some, and get light work done, it’s perfect. And then you have the tablet ability when you need it. It’s not intended to replace a laptop, it’s a computer for people who don’t do heavy gaming and don’t have large workloads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.