Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 13.6-inch 256GB M2 MacBook Air has dropped to $899.00 today on Best Buy, down from $1,099.00. Best Buy offers free next-day shipping as well as in-store pick-up for most locations, and has all four colors of Space Gray, Silver, Midnight, and Starlight at this price.

macbook-air-spacegray-purple.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This is an all-time low price on the 13.6-inch 256GB M2 MacBook Air, and Best Buy has been one of the few retailers to offer this sale over the past few months.

Best Buy also has the 512GB model of the 13.6-inch M2 MacBook Air on sale, available for $1,199.00, down from $,1399.00. Compared to past sales, this is a second-best price and still a solid discount on the 2022 notebook.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's 13-Inch M2 MacBook Air Drops to All-Time Low Price of $899 ($200 Off)

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
I still think that everyone fawning over a computer with a notch in its display has severe Stockholm Syndrome.

Sure, the M2 is nice and the MBPs are incredibly solid - but Apple needs to shrink the camera tech or give us a top bezel. And I still don't understand the obsession everyone seems to have with thin-to-non-existent bezels. :rolleyes:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I still think that everyone fawning over a computer with a notch in its display has severe Stockholm Syndrome.

Sure, the M2 is nice and the MBPs are incredibly solid - but Apple needs to shrink the camera tech or give us a top bezel. And I still don't understand the obsession everyone seems to have with thin-to-non-existent bezels. :rolleyes:

Me either. I actually find a bezel of some substance to be a great framing of the screen content that helps visually separate and distinguish it from the surroundings and background and other peripheral distractions in your environment

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My take: look at that pic. Imagine grabbing hold of the visible part of the screen and sliding it down, thickening the bezel at the top to wash out the notch while thinning the fattest bezel at the bottom. Leave left & right bezel as is. In this scenario, no need breaking physics laws or sacrificing quality of camera at the top.

The aesthetic framing would basically "balance" the thickness of top & bottom bezels. I think this would look great and eliminate the notch... without subbing in the island.

Else, now that there is "continuity camera", maybe eject the camera & notch and use the far superior camera on iDevices. I would say "pass through the camera-less savings to us consumers" but even I know the hilarity in that idea.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH

Man, I must drive you crazy, I put my own notch on my 42" C2 ;)

I don't even see the notches. It's like my nose. My eyes see it - my brain auto ignores it.

Attachments

• IMG_7050.png
    IMG_7050.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 488

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I have a notch on my borrowed phone (Samsung) and I really don't see the problem with it. Even more so from what I understand the macOS actually doesn't show anything important in the place where the camera is.

Anyway, the offer looks good, though for the life of me seeing how cheap SSDs are for a while now, I would find it really difficult to accept the upgrade prices of Apple even more.

Reactions: Tagbert

klemsaba

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
For me the notch was only an issue when I had too many menu icons. I reevaluated what I actually needed to see on daily basis and it hasn't been an issue since.

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
perfect machine for all non apple nerds in the field.

a mate switched from a windiws laptop to this machine a few months ago. he sayd he is more than satisfied (switched from android to iphone a year ago)
peace

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York

I hope your outrage extends to the notch on cars and trucks front windshields.

Not enough outrage on this topic.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
$900 for the M2 MBA is a great deal. A year ago, I paid $1,050 for mine on sale at BB. Can't beat it. Best computer I ever bought. Easily get 5 years of use out of it. $160 per year. $13 per month......or, one or two coffees and scones at Starbucks. Great value.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017

Couldn’t agree more. They didn’t even give us a Face ID array, which would at least kinda help explain the odd choice of a notch.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Its dropped below a thousand dollars.. you'd be ashamed to be seen with this cheap stuff! Your only option for Air is MacBook Air 15 inch!

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
For me the notch was only an issue when I had too many menu icons. I reevaluated what I actually needed to see on daily basis and it hasn't been an issue since.
If you use a utility like Bartender, you can control which menu icons appear by default and move the rest to a secondary panel that only appears when you click to show it. I was using Bartender long before the notch came along just to cleanup all of those icons.

arcite

macrumors 6502a

It's a non issue.... besides, I like having the extra pixels at the top for expanded toolbars.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

It's not about reducing the bezels. It is about giving the largest screen in the smallest case size. Without the notch, you either get a smaller screen or a larger case. The notch allows the screen to grow push out to the edge of the case. The case doesn't get any larger. The only impact is to the middle of the menubar which is an area of the screen that is rarely used for anything. Extra menus skip over that space.

If it bothers you visually, you can get a utility that makes the menubar dark so you don't see the notch.

When I got my MBP I tried a utility to hide it but decided to wait and just work with it visible for a while. A few months later, I remembered that decision and realized that I had forgotten about the notch entirely in that time. Your visual system is very flexible and readily ignores things that don't change and have not impact. Think about your nose that sits there covering up a large chunk of your visual area. You really don't notice it unless you close one eye and really look for it. The notch can be the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.