Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has a great deal on the 2017 Intel 21.5-inch iMac (2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD), priced at $599.99, down from $1,099.00. This is the best price we've ever tracked on this model, and it's only available at Amazon. The sale price will be reflected after an automatic coupon is applied at checkout.

iMac-27-inch-2020-sale.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

As of writing, there is a delayed shipping estimate for the iMac; the fastest shipping option gives an early February delivery estimate. This is a great deal, so even with the delayed shipping window it's worth locking in the price before the deal expires for those interested.

Final price includes $349.96 taken off at checkout.

You can keep track of ongoing sales on Apple's iMac line by visiting our Best iMac Deals guide. There, we keep track of the best iMac offers from Amazon, Adorama, B&H Photo, and other retailers, so be sure to check back often if you're shopping for an iMac for the first time, or thinking of upgrading.

Update: This sale expired fast, and Amazon is now out of stock. There's a chance it could return, so we'll update this page again if it does.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's 21.5-Inch iMac Hits Record Low Price of $599.99 ($499 Off) [Update: Out of Stock]

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wow. That was fast. Totally out of stock, and that’s an outstanding price. I don’t own an iMac, but this would’ve been a great entry level at $499.00 for me.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I am personally using this model temporarily until the new iMac comes out. I am borrowing from a friend so luckily didn’t have to waste my money. But this thing is super slow! It’s like getting an iPhone 6s nowadays. Yes it technically works but you can’t run a lot of things well and 8GB Ram isn’t enough to have more than a couple things open.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That 21.5, iMac was the last non-retina iMac, and was sold as new until Oct 2021 (according to Mactracker), so it won't be considered obsolete (by Apple) for (more or less) another 4 years. (another "cross-over" model was the 2012 13-inch MBPro, which was discontinued in the fall of 2016, and is not yet identified as obsolete.
You might consider the 2017 iMac as obsolete, and it is a couple of generations old now, but "officially obsolete"? 4 maybe 5 years from now. It will likely be dropped from system updates before the change to obsolete. Some would say that makes it obsolete by default.
At least the iMac in question was an SSD model, and not the 1TB 5400-rpm spinner "slug"...

Reactions: sydneysider88

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
.....(another "cross-over" model was the 2012 13-inch MBPro, which was discontinued in the fall of 2016, and is not yet identified as obsolete.
You might consider the 2017 iMac as obsolete, and it is a couple of generations old now, but "officially obsolete"? 4 maybe 5 years from now. It will likely be dropped from system updates before the change to obsolete. Some would say that makes it obsolete by default.
At least the iMac in question was an SSD model, and not the 1TB 5400-rpm spinner "slug"...
the problem is its relative power to current CPUs today. With the 2012, its CPU power was similar up to 2017 computers when they finally upped the core count to 4 with coffeelake. Still it only got OS updates for 4 years when BS dropped support for it in 2020. With apple being super eager to drop intel ASAP, who knows what'll happen

Even quad cores are starting to show its age in many tasks. For those that still have these machines, im sure it'll get the job done for a bit longer but buying one new today seems reckless - especially with the mac mini M1 with a cheapo 1080p monitor being leagues ahead.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
At least it has an SSD, but even so, at $599, it still seems like a high price, considering how underpowered a dual-core processor is in 2022. And it's probably on its last legs in terms of macOS updates. Fair price, in my opinion, would be closer to $399.
i'm using the under power instead m1 laptop . It's intel and it's stable to do development compare to m1.The only good if can upgrade on fly 16 gb and extra ssd like me now.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Dual Core ? These things are STILL on sale ?
I would never have this, even if it was given to me.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
The only thing “good” about this is that it is ‘brand new’ and has an SSD. I paid less than this on a used 4K iMac from the same year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.