Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, B&H Photo introduced the first-ever discount on Apple's 10.9-inch iPad, and today the retailer has expanded this deal slightly with a new color. You can get the Blue and Silver 64GB Wi-Fi iPads for $399.00, down from $449.00.

new-ipad-snow-holiday.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with B&H Photo. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This remains the lowest price we've ever seen for these brand-new iPads, which Apple just updated last month. The 10th generation iPad comes with the A14 Bionic chip, support for the Apple Pencil, and Touch ID.

As of writing, only B&H Photo has this record low sale on the new iPad. In terms of stock, B&H Photo says that the Blue color option is facing limited quantities, while the Silver model is readily available.

Other than the iPad, we're tracking the Best Early Black Friday Deals on Apple TV 4K, AirPods, and more in our dedicated article.

We're keeping track of all of the season's best Apple-related deals in our Black Friday roundup, so be sure to check back throughout the month for an updated list of all the most notable discounts you'll find for Black Friday 2022.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's New iPad Drops to Record Low Price of $399 ($50 Off)

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
If only Apple had priced them at $399 from the start...
I couldn't agree more, as I am thinking of buying one for my mother for Christmas, her iPad Air (original) is near its lifetime... slow and better... about time I think, she had it since release day, and still impressed it lasted this long.

Although I am more inclined to buy her the new iPad Air.

Last edited:

DanteHicks79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
MacRumors, I love ya, but you really gotta stop using the term "record" when referring to the low price for a brand new device that has only been one price on the market so far and hasn't even been out for a month.

It's not a record low price. It's a lower price. "Record low price" would be the iPad selling for less retail than any other brand new retail iPad prior. #stoptheunnecessarysensationalism

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
Nothing is really normal about Apple’s pricing lately. I mean the new AirPods Pro 2 are already discounted as well. Not that long ago Apple products were never really discounted.
I think they tried to play it this year with the iPad line up but it backfired massively... maybe that's the reason for all those discounts happening.

Aston441

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Nothing is really normal about Apple’s pricing lately. I mean the new AirPods Pro 2 are already discounted as well. Not that long ago Apple products were never really discounted.
Word from the wharehouses is that current shipments of ALL consumer goods are 25% of expected.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2014
Is a $50 price drop this quickly after release precedented, or indicative of Apple really messing up on the price?
Not really. These days Apple's base products get pretty regular discounts. Someone with more business knowledge than me would be able to explain how that makes sense, but you especially see it with the iPads and Apple Watches (unless you absolutely need a new Watch right when they come out, within six months the base models are invariably discounted $20-50, and sometimes more for what I presume are the less popular colors?)

Of course, that pricing doesn't help you if you need the higher-specs'd or BTO versions, but if you're fine just getting entry-level products they're not hard to find below Apple's quoted prices.

Reactions: Jovijoker

Fraserpatty

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
I couldn't agree more, as I am thinking of buying one for my mother for Christmas, her iPad Air (original) is near its lifetime... slow and better... about time I think, she had it since release day, and still impressed it lasted this long.

Although I am more inclined to buy her the new iPad Air.
I don’t know how old your mom is, but I am 72 and even though I absolutely adore the iPad mini it’s too small for me to comfortably see everything without zooming it. So, depending on your mother‘s age, I would recommend the iPad Air. Best wishes to you and your mom.

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
I don’t know how old your mom is, but I am 72 and even though I absolutely adore the iPad mini it’s too small for me to comfortably see everything without zooming it. So, depending on your mother‘s age, I would recommend the iPad Air. Best wishes to you and your mom.
Thank you for your kind word, my mother is 60, and she has always loved her iPad Air (original) but recently I needed to use her iPad for a couple of hours to work, and that's when I noticed the slowness and battery life is draining quick, again it's over 6yrs old and served her well and her needs, when I ask her, how would she feel about getting a replacement, she said she was fine with her current iPad, so I been shopping around for the new iPad Air and see what good price I can get in black Friday sales, amazon has it at the moment around £540, about £100 less, she only needs a wifi version and not so much storage anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovijoker

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is a $50 price drop this quickly after release precedented, or indicative of Apple really messing up on the price?
It was probably deliberate. Apple knows that the 9th generation and Air are often discounted, and gave their resellers some wiggle room to offer bigger discounts on the 10th generation in time for the holidays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.