Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
iPad Mini 6 is also $399, and it features the A15 Bionic.

Decisions…
Which I have learned the A15 in the newest Mini is a gimped version and not as fast as what is in the iPhone 13.
I have a new iPad Air 4 (A14) and a new iPad Mini (6th gen A15) and the Air is actually faster than the Mini using Benchmarks (Geekbench 5) in all categories (CPU single and multi and GPU).

The iPad Air 4th Gen 64GB was $349 from Walmart. I'll take that over a $399 iPad 10.9 any day.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I couldn't agree more, as I am thinking of buying one for my mother for Christmas, her iPad Air (original) is near its lifetime... slow and better... about time I think, she had it since release day, and still impressed it lasted this long.

Although I am more inclined to buy her the new iPad Air.
If I tried to give my mom something like this for Christmas she’d get angry at me for spending that much money 😂

Joking aside, the original Air… that was 2013, making it 9, almost 10 years of service. That’s pretty neat. And it means that just about any iPad you’d get her should feel like a massive improvement, I’d guess.
The standard iPad seems like a good one to get imo. Unless she would be bothered by the non-laminated display?

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
If I tried to give my mom something like this for Christmas she’d get angry at me for spending that much money 😂

Joking aside, the original Air… that was 2013, making it 9, almost 10 years of service. That’s pretty neat. And it means that just about any iPad you’d get her should feel like a massive improvement, I’d guess.
The standard iPad seems like a good one to get imo. Unless she would be bothered by the non-laminated display?
Oh don't get me wrong, my mother too will be angry about it for days and I probably get a smack or few for spending that much money, but she'll get over it eventually.

Yes, you are right, it's over 9yrs old indeed and it will undoubtedly be a massive upgrade.

iPad Air is better because I want to also get her an Apple Pencil 2 with it, she likes to draw, and also I have a spare new pencil that was given to me.

Reactions: Jovijoker

SolarSailer120

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
Still too much money!

First world problem, but after experiencing ProMotion on the 14PM, I don't know that I could ever deal with a 60hz Apple screen again. Just so choppy by comparison.

I just have to fight the urge to sell my iPad Mini 6 for a Pro (it feels "laggy" going from 120hz to that)

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Wake me when it appears on the Apple store for $399. Third party retailers having a holiday sale (in the US) are not indicative of what Apple prices are doing or going to do.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Entry-level iPad sales will plummet.
Not when you can get one for something like 250 bucks.
I remember the days of the iPad 2 and 3 when people said Apple would never, ever, ever make an iPad under $500 to compete with the Kindle fire and the Nexus 7. Those were the days.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

Oh don't get me wrong, my mother too will be angry about it for days and I probably get a smack or few for spending that much money, but she'll get over it eventually.

Yes, you are right, it's over 9yrs old indeed and it will undoubtedly be a massive upgrade.

iPad Air is better because I want to also get her an Apple Pencil 2 with it, she likes to draw, and also I have a spare new pencil that was given to me.
For our iPad Mini 1 gift to our mother, we told her we were able to get a deal for $50 (MSRP back in 2012 was $330). It was assinine, but it worked

Last edited:

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
I think they tried to play it this year with the iPad line up but it backfired massively... maybe that's the reason for all those discounts happening.
The APP2 being discounted before it even came out should tell you that retailers are simply discounting more these days and has nothing to do with Apple's base pricing at all. This did not happen with the APP1, which is demonstrably inferior to the APP2 and cost the exact same. The IPP and MBA all got discounts within a couple of weeks. This is just the new normal. Retailers have to compete, too. Practically every Apple product I know is on discount right now, including the new Apple TV, the old Apple TV, iPad mini, the iPad Air, the MacBook Pros, the MacBook Air, everything.

It's also hardly a coincidence we aren't far from Black Friday.

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
For our iPad Mini 1 gift to our mother, we told her we were able to get a deal for $50 (RSVP back in 2012 was $330). It was assinine, but it worked
I wish that trick would work with my mother, my mother likes to shop around and check out prices for new techs, she is sharp when comes to prices lol, the best way for me to approach her with it and just to give it to her, I'll just have to deal with the few smacks & anger 😅

And the best part is, her Birthday is near Christmas time, so it's a nice gift for good two reasons. 😁

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I wish that trick would work with my mother, my mother likes to shop around and check out prices for new techs, she is sharp when comes to prices lol, the best way for me to approach her with it and just to give it to her, I'll just have to deal with the few smacks & anger 😅

And the best part is, her Birthday is near Christmas time, so it's a nice gift for good two reasons. 😁
I only come here for the mothers and iPads stories now.
Such wholesome content ❤️

• Love
Reactions: rain111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.