Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T is offering the 64GB iPhone 11 for 50 percent off this month. This offer is available to anyone who's interested in adding a line to a new or existing AT&T account.

iphone11pinwheel.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with AT&T. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

You'll need to purchase the iPhone 11 on a qualifying installment agreement, add the line, pay taxes on the full retail price of the smartphone upfront, and pay a $30 activation fee.

This deal covers nearly all of AT&T's unlimited plans, including Unlimited Starter, Unlimited Extra, Unlimited Elite, Unlimited & More, Unlimited & More Premium, Unlimited Plus, Unlimited Plus Enhanced, Unlimited Choice, Unlimited Choice Enhanced, Unlimited Choice II, and Unlimited Double Pay.

Once you qualify, you'll get $350 in bill credits applied in equal amounts over 30 monthly installments, which represents half off the 64GB iPhone 11 and about $11.67 per month. The same credits can be applied to the 128GB or 256GB iPhone 11 to get these models at a discounted price.

AT&T currently offers express shipping with an estimated arrival between August 20 and August 24. Curbside pickup is also available at select retail locations. The iPhone 11 is available in six colors, and all options are available for this deal.

If you're in the market for a new iPhone, we've begun tracking the latest carrier deals in our Best iPhone Deals guide. This includes discounts and offers from AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and more.

Article Link: Deals: AT&T Offering 64GB iPhone 11 for 50% Off When Adding a Line to an Unlimited Plan

Reactions: macfacts

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
AT&T's unlimited plans, including Unlimited Starter, Unlimited Extra, Unlimited Elite, Unlimited & More, Unlimited & More Premium, Unlimited Plus, Unlimited Plus Enhanced, Unlimited Choice, Unlimited Choice Enhanced, Unlimited Choice II, and Unlimited Double Pay.

Does anyone else see the comedy in this?

AT&T is pathetic.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
This deal is ok. A much, much better deal can be had on Verizon, where adding a line and trading in a phone as old as the 6 can get you an 11 pro for free, and in only 24 months, not 30.

Reactions: Breaking Good

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I don’t understand these “when you add a new line” promotions. They might as well be called the Duggar Family Deal. Unless you have an expanding family, this promo isn’t a deal for most people. I’m not gonna add a line just to get an $800 device half off, considering the line is gonna cost at least $1200 over those 30 months.

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
For as long as I can remember AT&T has offered a buy one get one deal when the new phones are preordered.

Wonder if this means they aren’t doing this this year?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don’t understand these “when you add a new line” promotions. They might as well be called the Duggar Family Deal. Unless you have an expanding family, this promo isn’t a deal for most people. I’m not gonna add a line just to get an $800 device half off, considering the line is gonna cost at least $1200 over those 30 months.
Well, it’s for switchers, really.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Uhhhh... No thanks, We're waiting for iPhone 12 to be released.

I got in on their 11 Pro Max deal for $1k off in subsidies when you switch and trade in a phone deal that I'm sure will be posted here tomorrow or later. I don't need the latest, I had XS Max on Verizon and was happy with it, but wife wants a longer battery life and I'll be happier paying $13 a month instead of $60 for the iphone. In 30 months I'll probably switch back for a similar deal. I thought going from the 6S Plus to the XS Max would be a massive change, and it really wasn't, so saving the money is worth it to me.

I still don't understand this. Sales tax should be based on the final price paid, not the claimed value prior to a discount.

Thats what this is. Over 30 months, $1k is being paid for the phone, you just pay half of it and ATT pays the other half.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Thats what this is. Over 30 months, $1k is being paid for the phone, you just pay half of it and ATT pays the other half.

But you are paying the sales tax on all of the device but only paying for half of the device. You are being taxed double what you owe. Where is that extra money going exactly? Merchants don't have to pay sales tax on part of good they discounted. If anything they get to write that off as a loss.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I almost can't read these wireless carriers plans/promos without getting a headache.

"Verizon offers 50% off iPhone 12 with purchase of iPhone 11 and unlimited pro plus premium unleashed data plan and 4 lines."

Reactions: AMTYVLE

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
They probably account for it as a credit against service rather than as a discount off the phone.
You are probably correct. It's just weird that they can advertise it like it's a device credit. They must prevent you from claiming it's covering the cost of the device. I wonder if you could report this as overpaid sales tax on a state return.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Deals ?? on ?? smartphones ???? tied ??? to expensive ?????? carrier ????????plans??? are not deals??.

(partial /s)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.